The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2015, 06:40 PM

Awesome to hear that!!!! I still have my 1983 Legend...has a top crack but I love it...sounds great still. Hope they make the deep bowl guitars again...nice tone.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Awesome to hear that!!!! I still have my 1983 Legend...has a top crack but I love it...sounds great still. Hope they make the deep bowl guitars again...nice tone.
Now that they are open again...maybe I will get the top crack repaired correctly (the crack was glued together by a repair guy who hated working on Ovations) or maybe a new top. Anyone ever have the top replaced on their Ovation? Any Idea on the cost or weather its a good idea?
When I bought this way back then...many were sold without electronics and sounded awesome...I bought mine without electronics...really nice tone. I remember going into Boston to see Al Dimeola, John Mclaughlin and Paco De Lucia...everyone but Paco played an Ovation...I felt so proud to own one.
Last year I was fishing on the Farmington River not knowing that the factory behind me was the Ovation factory...I was fishing a section of the river called "Ovation Pool"...I will definitely go in for a visit when I'm down there next year...will bring the guitar as I always do on fishing trips and have them look at it.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Don, I believe that there have been one or two employees left at the plant since its closing for Ovation repairs...don't know if they were on FMIC's dime or not, and that may be just a rumor. I would call their customer service first, just to make sure they intake repairs directly at the factory before you bring her there.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
Don, I believe that there have been one or two employees left at the plant since its closing for Ovation repairs...don't know if they were on FMIC's dime or not, and that may be just a rumor. I would call their customer service first, just to make sure they intake repairs directly at the factory before you bring her there.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 AM

Don,

A repair shop has been maintained a the factory since the closure and has now been expanded for production. Go through the Ovation website and contact customer service. Eventually you will be put in contact with John Budny. Trust me, customer service does not get any better than JB!

However, I am given to understand that John is crazy/busy helping to get the new digs up to speed. That being said, there is absolutely no one more capable of getting your guitar back into its very best condition!

BTW, when you go next summer, let John know you are coming and I'm sure he will make time for you to drop in and introduce yourself.

Good luck!

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 AM

OT - I was playing a used Ovation at GC the other day - lots of fun, but then the guitar slid out of my arms and suddenly became a pedal steel flat in my lap - how do you avoid slippage with Ovation body shapes?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 AM

Good news, indeed. I love my Standard Balladeer 12-string. Sounds good unplugged and great plugged in. Got it when Mars Music was tanking and paid a pittance for it.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Bitraker, here is a discussion on that over on Audiokarma.com...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=669077
Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

+1! John Budny!

Everyone at Ovation treated me mighty kindly when I stopped in there two years ago to drop off my Adamas 2080 NWT for some neck work. Kudos to John, Kim and Willie! I got it back in perfect shape! Bravo Ovation!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 AM

Default Ovation Guitars - reopening in Connecticut!

I owned and used Ovation and Adamas guitars professionally from 1974 to 1993 when I stopped touring...I became a Key-man Endorsee for the company in 1987...I loved the reliability and quality of sound plugged in. The sound and shape always kept my audiences intrigued and many would come up between and after shows to find out "what's that guitar you're playing? I always enjoyed telling them the story of Ovation and in particular the Adamas models I used. The company was like a big family but sadly began to change in the mid to late 90's...then when Fender bought the company in 2007, it was needing some TLC...sadly again, that did not happen...Fender happened...now that DW owns the brand, hopefully sone good things will happen...hopefully....I still treasure my Adamas 6 &12 pair...we'll see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 AM

I just logged into brag about my Chinese Applause AA21 with a K&K Pure mini installed this week and now this great news! People ride Ovation and for no good reason. They have made a lot of good guitars. I had one that was a dud, but I have had 3 that were all good all day all year round....hot cold, dry or damp....

This is great news to see an American company getting back to the business of innovation and guitar.......
Yamaha LL-TA
Yamaha FG-TA
Ibanez AVD10
Ovation Applause AA21-5
Tanglewood TW40-D-VS
Washburn WG7S
Washburn Elite WSJ60SKELITE Cocobolo 2014
Old 07-31-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMD View Post
that DW owns the brand, hopefully sone good things will happen...hopefully....I still treasure my Adamas 6 &12 pair...we'll see...
Yes, the good ones sound really good plugged in and acoustically; they just sound different. It's fair enough that someone doesn't like the sound, but comparing it to that of an OM-28 and finding it wanting is missing the point. It's not meant to be like an OM-28. I think of my O a bit like an archtop; it has superb playability, looks great, and sounds great with a variety of finger and flatpicked styles. But it does not sound like my Lakewood or Breedlove.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Yes, the good ones sound really good plugged in and acoustically; they just sound different. It's fair enough that someone doesn't like the sound, but comparing it to that of an OM-28 and finding it wanting is missing the point. It's not meant to be like an OM-28. I think of my O a bit like an archtop; it has superb playability, looks great, and sounds great with a variety of finger and flatpicked styles. But it does not sound like my Lakewood or Breedlove.
A thumbs up for this. I have a super shallow 98' Ovation that I love how it plays. When I bought it in 98' I knew I would be using it plugged in and amplified. Three years ago I purchased a Taylor cause I wanted a guitar that had more of a regular, traditional acoustic sound. I don't look at one replacing the other, but rather they are two different tools each serving its own purpose. Even the hybrid Taylors, Godins and Crafters have their own sound and place. It's just like comparing different keyboards and drums (which I play). I used to be a hard core Roland keyboard fan due to the piano sounds, but in the last couple of years I've started migrating toward Yamaha sounds. Neither is better or worst just different.

Joe
Old 07-31-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMD View Post
I owned and used Ovation and Adamas guitars professionally from 1974 to 1993 when I stopped touring...I became a Key-man Endorsee for the company in 1987...I loved the reliability and quality of sound plugged in. The sound and shape always kept my audiences intrigued and many would come up between and after shows to find out "what's that guitar you're playing? I always enjoyed telling them the story of Ovation and in particular the Adamas models I used. The company was like a big family but sadly began to change in the mid to late 90's...then when Fender bought the company in 2007, it was needing some TLC...sadly again, that did not happen...Fender happened...now that DW owns the brand, hopefully sone good things will happen...hopefully....I still treasure my Adamas 6 &12 pair...we'll see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Patch I sure hope this picture gets into the 2016 Calendar.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 AM

I was glad when heard the news being a user of 4 Ovations.
Ovation Balladeer
Takamine Classical
Taylor Baby

"I am getting better everyday in everyway!" - Zig Ziglar
"There are no bad notes being played just wrong resolutions!" - RLH
"Make Everyday Your Masterpiece" - John Wooden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion