The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 PM

Default is it better to download a recording software program or buy the cd?

I was just wondering if its better to buy the cd hard copy of a recording program like cubase or download it?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 AM

I don't think it matters either way. Eventually, you'll update or upgrade online anyway.
I can only think of having an advantage with a CD if an online download installs the program directly. It's harder to make a backup of the software itself.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 AM

My recollection is that downloaded software that I have gotten has normally come in the form of a disk image (I'm on a Mac, I don't know what this sort of thing is called on a PC) that you then open. Inside the disk image is all the files that would have been on an actual physical disk, including help files, and often an installation program that you run to install the software on your computer (or in some cases you just drag the software to your applications folder).

If this is how your downloaded software comes then you should be able to save a copy of the disk image file, which could then be used to restore your software if any problem developed in the future.

You'll need to be careful to be sure to carefully save (in multiple places) your registration information, serial number, etc (which sometimes would otherwise be printed on a disk) should you have to reinstall the software at some point.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:57 AM

To download, you register on the mfr's website, so they have a record of your info, if you replace your computer most mfr's will unlock the program so you can download again, you just have to contact them. Usually its the same thing if you have it on a disc - you still go online to register your program and unlock it.

Discs are typically not the most-recent version, so you still need to update.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-29-2014, 11:47 PM

I always buy the boxed versions with the factory disks. This comes in very handy when you have to reformat your hard drive or update your hard drive. It saves you tons of headaches of downloading programs. Ya it costs a little more but to me it's worth it. Yes you will have to download updates, but that's nothing compared to the whole program.

Some of my programs are 30-50 gigs, and require up to 11 dvd's...that would take forever to download.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD