The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Loudbox Artist Versus Loudbox Performer

I demo'd a Fishman Loudbox Artist versus Performer this weekend at my local music shop. I did a Live gig demo of both amps the same evening. My acoustic is a 2014 Taylor 814CE w/ES2 PU. Gig was at a Local Ritz Carlton Resort on the patio. Seating approx 100 to 150. I've gigged here many times before using QSC K10's. They are wonderful, but overkill. I wanted to go small and get the job done with high quality sound.

I am very surprised by the output of the Loudbox Artist. It has plenty of volume to do the job. The LB Artist seems to have more midrange. I dialed down the mid to almost the lowest setting to get the best sound.

Bottom line, the Performer is more natural sounding in every aspect. Closer to flat EQ settings. I also found the Artist required a little more feedback notch filtering where the LB Performer idled smoothly and clearly.

I could have gigged with the Artist with a few tweaks, but I found the Performer is better suited. It sounded fabulous.

A bonus was that my '63 Fender Custom shop Tele sounded GREAT through both the Artist and the Performer!

I will be purchasing the Performer and I can leave my QSC K10's at home.

Lastly, I connected the DI Out from the LB Artist to a QSC K10 and the results were Superb! So if you have a Loudbox Artist, but need a little 'more', use a nice powered PA speaker and you will be rewarded with a fuller sound and more dispersion options!

Hope this helps anyone faced with the same dilemma.

Here are a couple sound clips of the Fishman Loudbox Performer. Captured with my HTC One M8 Cell phone camera in front of me and the amp.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 10-21-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 AM

The newest version of the Loudbox Performer is vastly improved over its predecessor. By adding a 8 inch woofer (vs the two 6.5" woofers it had before) and increasing the size of the mid-range speaker (4" to 5") they turned the Performer into one of the best all-around amp/PA systems on the market. Its increased power and connectivity allowing DI out before or after effects plus the DI for both channels is a sound guy's delight. Plus on all versions of the Loudbox series, the ability to adjust the tweeter output independent of the EQ section allows you to tailor the output tone for any guitar!

They have a winner in the Performer!

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
The newest version of the Loudbox Performer is vastly improved over its predecessor. By adding a 8 inch woofer (vs the two 6.5" woofers it had before) and increasing the size of the mid-range speaker (4" to 5") they turned the Performer into one of the best all-around amp/PA systems on the market. Its increased power and connectivity allowing DI out before or after effects plus the DI for both channels is a sound guy's delight. Plus on all versions of the Loudbox series, the ability to adjust the tweeter output independent of the EQ section allows you to tailor the output tone for any guitar!

They have a winner in the Performer!

Brad
Truly, the current Loudbox Performer is a great performer!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the post. I am looking at one of the loudbox amps. This helps a lot

RPK
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Hey Gro,

I have all three; the Mini for backup/rehearsal/recording, and the Artist & Performer used separately for certain venues or in tandem...i.o.w. I take the DI outputs from the Artist into the front of the performer for both vocals and guitar. This combo makes for a very full, rich ambient sound and more projection for the larger outdoor gigs. (I mostly play outdoor Tiki bars here on the coast).
I find the Artist warmer and less midrangy and the Performer a bit more clarity and more oomph. The blend makes for a nice overall sound. I too back the mids to 0 on both amps and tweak the Anti-feedback to about 3 or 4 o'clock. If I back up the AF to 2 o'clock where it really takes out the low resonant feedback, the tone is not as natural, so I back off the bass a bit and try to compromise a bit...I leave my on-board Tak CT4BII eq all flat and eq my tone on the amp keeping gains to 10 'o'clock so I can crank the masters. (My D18 M1A pu has no eq on it, only volume and needs more amp gain to compete with the Tak.)
The vocals come out crisp and clear using a SM57a Beta which is better for outside for less wind noise.
I love all three and the tandem sounds wonderful!

Here's a pic from this past Saturday at one of my regulars:

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 PM

I have the mini, and use to have artist. I played next to a L1 compact and it blew the artist away in quality. So I bought the L1 and it weighs the same as the artist. Now I use the mini for smallish gigs and I use the mini into the L1 for solo gigs, and a mixer with the L1 for my band.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I have the mini, and use to have artist. I played next to a L1 compact and it blew the artist away in quality. So I bought the L1 and it weighs the same as the artist. Now I use the mini for smallish gigs and I use the mini into the L1 for solo gigs, and a mixer with the L1 for my band.
Sorry for the topic drift here, but I have been using the LB Mini into the Compact for a couple years now - really brings out the best of both.

Captain Jim
Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

As I posted above I really like the Fishman, especially for outside and more projection, however, indoors I thought the L1 sounded lovely...but since I play outdoors most of the time, the Fishman was a better choice for my application.
I bet the combo does sound wonderful tho!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:58 PM

I own both a Performer and a Mini and love them both.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the useful review. I'm sure a fan of my Artist.

Do you have any experience with the Acoustic Image Clarus or Corus?

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Interesting alternative you posed. I also demo'd a Bose L1 Compact and compared it directly to the Artist. They didn't have a LB Performer, so I couldn't do a direct A-B to that model. The L1 Compact was fuller and richer and perhaps more authentic sounding than the Artist (to my ears). I used a 2014 Taylor 814CE w/ES2 PU. My logic however is this; the Loudbox has built in effects, built in Notch/Feedback filter, Nice DI Out options ...in one self contained unit. So while I could probably make a case that the Bose L1 Compact might sound better, the Loudbox Performer has all the features and performance I want in a single, smaller package. Not saying the L1 Compact isn't simple or great sounding. I'd love to have one someday also!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 AM

I've had em all. The best one I had was a Performer from 2011, the black one w/ 2 6.5" woofers.

I think Fishman is lying about their wattage on these amps. I occasionally play with a small swing band and I had to crank max volume 100% on my recent issue Performer to the max to be heard with the gain about 50%. After I sold it (Actually had a stereo pair-both sold), I brought in my Bogner Mephisto rated at 20W and it was way louder cranked about 85-90% w/ the gain at 50%.

This is more than just a slight difference between tubes and solid state output.

I recently picked up an Acoustic A20, and it is rated at 20 watts and is at least as loud as the Loudbox Artist. It's SLIGHTLY more noisy, but about $400 cheaper! I don't think I could tell much difference between the sound if I put them next to each other, but I haven't tried it.

As for all of them, I really think the high pitch hiss gets annoying after a while especially if you use them in the studio.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I just added a couple sound clip/Youtube Video's from my gig last Saturday. Clams, mistakes and clicks-pops from the pedal footswitches and all.

Taylor 814CE (w/ES2 PU) Through Fishman Loudbox Performer. TC Ditto X2 Looper. *the darn footswitch clicks are the JHS Prestige 'clean boost'. Oh well. You get the idea of what the acoustic tone is like through the Fishman Loudbox Performer.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification