The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Looking for amplification (either an amp or small pa), budget: €700,-

After finally being very satisfied with my acoustic guitar pickup system (installed a Lyric, going into a PA last night sounded extremely close to the guitar itself) I'm delving into amplification now! (where does it stop?!)

I'm debating whether I should go for an acoustic amp or a small PA system. The main point of having the amp would be gigs I suppose, but being able to play it at home would be great as well. The thing I'm worried about most is probably volume. Will an acoustic amp be enough for my gigging needs?

Now, I won't be playing huge gigs, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to have volume on tap for when I do play a slightly larger gig. I think for now the maximum amount of people I would be playing for would be about 150 people. I'm thinking of a budget of about €700,-.

What I've been looking at:

As far as acoustic amps go, I've been looking primarily at the Schertler JAM150. This one seems to get rave reviews and the wattage seems right, 150 watts must be plenty to fill up a gig of 150 people, right? Does anyone have any experience with these amps? (also in terms of sound dispersion at louder volumes)

As far as a PA system goes, I've been looking at an A&H ZED-10 mixer with a QFC K-8 speaker. This would reach my budget, but I'd have no monitor. So I'm not entirely sure how this would play out.

If any of you have any suggestions as to what a good pick might be, please fire away, I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

$700? Or 700 euros? I couldn't tell, but I'm thinking you may be "across the pond"...

You didn't say what type of music you play, but if it's just you, solo guitar and voice, you should look into the Bose L1 systems... they make 3 different kinds/sizes, and they are fairly pricey, but to my ears they are, without doubt, the best PA I have ever played through!

I play acoustic guitar and sing, all styles... I picked up a used Bose L1 Model I Classic a few years ago and I have been incredibly pleased with it. It is a very different way of amplifying though, so do your due diligence and see what you think. If the figure you quoted is for Euros, then you should be able to find one of the systems, used, for your price range; possibly the Compact brand new.

Extremely simple and quick to set up, to load and carry, very pure "hi-fi"-like sound that seems to surround the listener, as opposed to "shooting" the sound at the audience from an pair of speakers... I think it would be a big ask to cover 150 with the Compact, but I don't have any experience with that unit. I could handle a space big enough for 150 without issue with my Model I Classic and one B1 subwoofer unit, though...

I've had mine for 5 years or so, and have had no problems with it. Check them out!

You could also get one of the Fishman Soloamps either used or new, depending upon your budget. The Fishman units go for ~$1000 new, here in the States; the Bose Compact is priced similarly.

I KNOW that you wouldn't need a monitor with the Bose systems, as that's one of the many marvelous aspects of their design; when I'm playing on stage, I hear EXACTLY what my audience is hearing - a real bonus! - and the sound dispersion is truly 180 degrees, with no drop-off within that spectrum. Someone 50 feet away hears the sound pretty much like I do, sitting right in front of the thing! Very cool technology in those Bose systems. I don't know about the Fishman units, but I suspect they could easily be positioned so that you would hear very well, and again, you'd hear what the audience hears. I don't think the Fishman has the same scope of dispersion, and I believe the volume drops off more quickly than the Bose, as you move away from the source.

Take your time and check out a bunch of stuff; my philosophy with many things, but ESPECIALLY music gear and guitars is: Buy a GREAT item once, instead of buying lesser items and having to deal with the shortcomings...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
$700? Or 700 euros? I couldn't tell, but I'm thinking you may be "across the pond"...

You didn't say what type of music you play, but if it's just you, solo guitar and voice, you should look into the Bose L1 systems... they make 3 different kinds/sizes, and they are fairly pricey, but to my ears they are, without doubt, the best PA I have ever played through!
First of all, thanks for the detailed reply!

That is euros indeed, I live in Holland so prices may be slightly different. I'll probably go for a singer-songwriter kind of style, me singing while playing guitar, with an occasional second vocalist. I've indeed also looked at both the Bose L1 and Fishman SA220, but I haven't found any used ones, so at the price they go for new they are out of my budget (Bose go for about €1000, Fishman a little over €900). I understand they are an awesome solution though.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Bose is cool, but Schertler... In EU you can find second hand Schertlers quite easily... I'll take a look. Ah, forget Fishman, had them all. Schertler is another planet..
Old 10-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Here we go, second hand from Italy, where Schertlers/SR tech are very common:

Schertler Unico 150+35watts, 2 channels for 390€

Schertler Jam 150 wood for 450€

Both sellers say the amps are in excellent conditions. I guess shipping to Holland might be an extra 30-50€. As I am based in Milan, same as these amps, I can check them for you..

Cheers,
Marco
Old 10-18-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Here we go, second hand from Italy, where Schertlers/SR tech are very common:

Schertler Unico 150+35watts, 2 channels for 390€

Schertler Jam 150 wood for 450€

Both sellers say the amps are in excellent conditions. I guess shipping to Holland might be an extra 30-50€. As I am based in Milan, same as these amps, I can check them for you..

Cheers,
Marco
I am constantly suprised by the helpfulness of forum members, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to look this up for me. However, I'd rather not order from abroad. I'm just not really comfortably with the idea, and for about 200 euros more, I'd be able to buy new with a 3-year warranty, so I guess I'd rather do that. I really appreciate you looking this up for me though!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:56 PM

No problem! The way I found to cure my GAS is to buy stuff for others.. Kind of personal shopper.. ;-) just kiddin'..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification