The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2002, 09:48 PM

Default Cocobolo Dread Thoughts?

I am close to pulling the trigger on a wonderful Goodall RS (Rosewood Standard) with a Sitka top. Now that I've heard about the new Taylor Dreadnought design, I wonder if I should order a Cocobolo LTD dread instead. Any thoughts from the Taylorstockers who tried 'em?

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 08-16-2002, 09:55 PM

I am also coocoo for Cocobolo,

I would definitly recommend the Taylor cocobolo LTD. They sounded GREAT !!

I don't think one person at Taylorstock, who play them would say anything different.

The demo's sure made up a few minds, alot of Cocobolo's were ordered that day.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:04 PM
Cocobologist

The 810 LTD in Cocobolo is a CANNON! Great overall tone with impressive low end. To top it off, it's beautiful too with either the maple or koa binding!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-16-2002, 10:25 PM

As much as I love the new Cocobolo dreadnought (and I'm getting one) ... if the Rosewood Goodall Standard is the sound you're looking for, I'd go with it because it's a totally different sound. Although I haven't had the chance to A/B them properly (but I have played a few RS sitkas in the last year), I don't think you're going to get the rich fullness the RS offers in the 810-LTD.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Well, ill throw in my thoughts, and you might be surprised.

Im gonna jump on Marys side of the fence with this one.

As much as everyone knows I ADORE cocobolo, and my 710ceLTD, it seems here that you are making a choice based on knowledge versus speculation.

Do you think the Goodall is the one for you? If it really grabs you, go for it! If not, I dont think it would be intelligent for you to just order a cocobolo taylor without playing one first.

I love em, and I know you would really like it...that I can almost promise...but I cant promise it would be better than the Goodall...and if you arent sure on the Goodall, and the Taylor shows up and you dont like it, then you can go fishing in another pond...be it within these two brands or somewhere else...but dont pass up a sure thing to pursue speculation in this case...

I still love cocobolo though, dont get me wrong

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 08-16-2002, 11:20 PM
meridian

I think everybody who tried them liked them. I ordered one, and I really had no prior interest in another Taylor dred until I played them.

Should you wait? Dunno. If you were set on a Taylor dred, I'd say yes absolutely wait and compare the new with the old and then make your choice.

Mary is pretty darn knowledgable about a good many guitars and if she says that they are totally different beasts, then I would respect that. But only you can make this choice.

Some stores will give you 60 days (or more or less) to trade-in at full value. There may be Taylor LTDs in the stores by then.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:16 AM

Talking

Man, Take the easy way out. Sell your house and car and buy both of them. What are ya thinking! C'mon!
Old 08-17-2002, 02:56 PM

Dink must know me from somewhere. I appreciate the advice. Knowing that Mary has played both lots of Taylor dreads (including the new design) and Goodall dreads, her advice seems reliable. I have played this Goodall RS quite a bit at the shop, and just wanted to see what the experts in the peanut gallery thought. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up with a new Taylor dread some year, but for now I think I should own that Goodall. Thanks.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 08-17-2002, 07:18 PM

I am serioulsy considering buying the new 810 LTD. It sounds like an awesome guitar...would someone e-mail me how much I can expect to pay...is it the guitar it is said to be?

Thanks

[email protected]
Old 08-17-2002, 07:54 PM
jclif1995

can't go wrong with the Taylor for sure...but before you buy anything, locate a Goodall Macassar ebony and Adirondack spruce. I've played one and it is a dream combination......one sweet guitar. I'm a rosewood man but i'd own that Goodall if i could afford it......enjoy the happiness of pursuit
Old 08-17-2002, 09:49 PM

GSnyde, I don't know if my advice is reliable or not ... I don't even own a Goodall Standard (though I plan to in the near future ... just haven't decided on all the particulars) ... but I have played alot of them. It's just I love the CJ sound so much that I didn't start paying attention to Standards until about a year ago.

And, oh, I just played the most gorgeous sounding Macassar Ebony/Adirondack CJC today. It was heaven. I was asked why I wasn't going to take it home ... and I said it's because I already have one that I love just as much. Macassar Ebony seems to be a very consistent tonewood.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:41 PM
AGF Bouncer

The 810 LTD's sound amazing.

Good enough the I bought one (and I think 4 or 5 other people did too).

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:10 PM

Well, I didn't say the 810-LTDs didn't sound wonderful ... I did say I'm getting one. But the RS and the 810-LTDs have different sounds ... and if one really likes the RS (and it sounds like he's getting a pretty good deal on it too), it's really the guitar to get because the 810-LTD will not have the sound of the RS.

I've been searching for the right Standard for awhile ... never getting one because I end up liking the CJ in the wood combination better. But I'm narrowing things down.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:31 AM

I just put my downpayment on wednesday for my 810-LTD.
Dean Tradition QS12 GN Maple
Alvarez RD30sSB
Gilb Flamenco Nylon

"One lucky man, With my feet in the sand, Tonight I just need... My Guitar."
Old 08-18-2002, 04:28 PM

The Cocobolo demos convinced me. I was originally thinking of a 410 or 510...but I couldn't resist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion