The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Anyone else have a Hohner HG-06?

Just out of curiosity, I have been looking for info on this guitar on the web, but have found NOTHING!

Does anyone else have one or anything similar?

I bought it new in 1978 for ~$200. It has maple top (not as washed out as the pic makes it look), three-piece back (maple and rosewood), nice binding along the neck. I guess it is supposed to look like a Martin D-35? The label says Model HG-06.

front

back

label

Thanks for indulging me in my curiosity.

-k

Last edited by Berek Halfhand; 06-20-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Default Horner HG-06

Hello fellow HG-06 owner!

I ran across your post when I was looking for information on my guitar, and your post was the only information I found on it! So you say you bought it new back in the late 70's? Mine has a stamp 1978 inside of it on the label.

It's a great guitar, I really enjoy it and my husband also plays on it, too. I have the same 3-piece back you have described, it's very pretty. It also has a great sound.

I bought it at a pawn shop here in Loveland, CO for $185.00, and it has great action. It's a keeper.... Your post is a little old, do you still have yours?

Enjoy,

Heather and Steve
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Hello Heather-
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. Although my Hohner is not the same model as yours it is about the same age. My dad owned this one (G-910) that he bought in San Angelo, Tx. sometime about 1980. It has been well used over the years. The back is a beautiful two piece.

I had it refretted, replaced the bridge and nut with bone after I got it. There is some damage on the fret board at the first and second frets showing considerable wear. Think that he must have played a lot in C and his finger nails cut into the board because the frets were so badly worn. Otherwise it still sounds good, a different sound than my Martin has.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:52 PM

Default Hg-06

Hey HG-06ers!
I have an HG-06 that I bought new in 1977. It has the 3 piece back with maple center slice and is pretty unique, have seen very few like it. That back detail turns heads for a cheap git. I won a $100 bet and bought it from the music store. Over the years it has just sounded better and better. I have friends with REAL guitars, (Martins, Taylors), that are amazed at the sound out of this thing. Over the years I have owned Gibsons, Guilds, Yamahas and a Fender acoustic. I have sold and/or traded all of those but can't give up this cheap old Hohner! It's not that I'm sentimental either, it's just a great sounding box.From what I've been able to read, seems like the mid to late 70's was the sweet spot for these and I'm glad I got in when I did!
If you can, hang onto this one!
PatMc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion