The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Default solid top? important?

When i was looking for an acoustic guitar to buy, i went to a couple places to look. The lady at the first place was stressing how important that having a solid top acoustic was. The second place i went, the guy didnt even mention it. I ended up buying an alaverz, for $xxx great price, great sound great look and it came with a case, and (im only 15 so i was kinda strapped for cash) so i was just wondering if you guys thought having a solid top guitar would be important, does the sound quality diminish over time?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:28 PM

A solid top is an important aspect as far as the tone is concerned, however I think the most important aspect (especially when first starting to play and/or strapped for cash) is to get something that will stay in tune and has good intonation. Without seeing or trying your guitar I would say you probably made a good decision with the Alvarez, they make great guitars in many price ranges.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."

HL Mencken
Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 PM

ive probably played 45-50 in my quest to find one, and although im pretty sure its not a solid top(considering it wasnt expensive) it sounds nice and has good intonation
Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 PM

A solid top guitar will probably sound fuller and richer than a laminate top guitar would. Plus, the tone of a solid top should improve over time whereas a laminate top will sound about the same over the years. Barring damage from heat (or something else) causing the top to de-laminate, the sound of a laminate top shouldn't get any worse.
As a beginner, I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. Your Alvarez is a quality instrument. Play the heck out of it and enjoy making music.

Tom
Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholmes
A solid top guitar will probably sound fuller and richer than a laminate top guitar would. Plus, the tone of a solid top should improve over time whereas a laminate top will sound about the same over the years. Barring damage from heat (or something else) causing the top to de-laminate, the sound of a laminate top shouldn't get any worse.
As a beginner, I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. Your Alvarez is a quality instrument. Play the heck out of it and enjoy making music.
Tom
Agreed--and welcome to the wonderful world of acoustic guitars and AGF. 90% or more (depends on who/what you read) comes from the guitar's top. So, tops are important. Many Alvarez's offer solid tops, but laminated backs and sides. If you're just starting out, like Tom says, play the heck out of it.

Sometime later, when you're older and not so strapped for $$$ (I remember those days!) you will undoubtedly upgrade to a more expensive, better instrument, and maybe keep the Alvarez as your "campfire" guitar. THEN you need to start asking about top woods, solid wood B/S, etc. For now, you've chosen a nice beginner guitar--heck, mine was a plywood, painted on sunburst Stella! But, the action on it was decent, and it got me to a nicer Harmony Sovereign, which was solid wood thru and thru. Then, onwards and upwards from there for the past 30+ years.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:49 PM

What ever you get make sure it's setup right!!!!

I bought an Alvarez about 18 years ago. Was going to learn then, but it was setup horriblly high, fingers hurt yada yada . . . Traded that thing off for a bow and arrow set to going hunting with. If I would have known then to get it set up right, I would probably still have it. Too bad the dealer was no help in that regard. I just didnt know a setup was needed.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM

exuse me for being dense... but what do you mean setup right
Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

"Set up" has to do with how the guitar is "tweaked" to get it to where it is most comfortable to you to play/get the sound you like.
It generally has to do with how high the strings sit above the fretboard...called the "action".
High action, strings high off the FB, more of a push to fret them.
Low action, easier to fret..may loose some volume...may get some buzzing if the strings hit the frets when plucked.

Action is adjusted at the saddle and at the nut (where the strings actually sit).

Here is a link to "Frets.com". A GREAT information site for guitarists run by Frank Ford, owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments, moderator at the AG Magazine guitar forum;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

TONS of usefull info very well presented with pictures.
He discusses many many topics...including "action adjustment"

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-15-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersxDozen
exuse me for being dense... but what do you mean setup right
others will have a better answer for you than this, but basically it involves adjusting the neck, nut and bridge so that the strings have the proper action (height above the fretboard). if they're too high, it's hard to play, and if they're too low, they buzz, so it's important that it's correct.

a proper setup might involve dressing the frets and other little adjustments that help your intonation, but i don't know if i'm using the proper nomenclature. in any case, it's not a bad idea to get a setup every so often, or right after you buy a new guitar. it shouldn't be too expensive, even if you're strapped for cash.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:01 PM

yes... quite important...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:14 PM

The biggest reason is that the solid top will age and get better sounding the more you play it. The laminate top will sound the same for the rest of the time you play it--what you hear is what you will always hear. If it is okay to you, and you like it, you shouldn't feel the need to get anything else. Like others have said, a cheap guitar with a good setup will play better than an expensive guitar with a bad setup.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum
90% or more (depends on who/what you read) comes from the guitar's top. So, tops are important. Many Alvarez's offer solid tops, but laminated backs and sides. If you're just starting out, like Tom says, play the heck out of it.
I remember reading somewhere that the famed Torres built a wonderul sounding guitar with a paper mache back and sides and a solid spruce top just to prove this point.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Alvarez was my first guitar.....Excellent beginner guitar, i loved it.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion