The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Default Church Street Blues (yet again)

Howdy folks,

So somebody gave me the sheet music of CSB a while ago, but I found it not to match up with the version I love and want to play - the album version.
I wrote it out in Guitar Pro myself and learned it from there.
This is what I got:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...es-page1-1.jpg

Still practising it - it's so new to me as a fingerstylist and having a lot of trouble getting up to speet and hitting the right strings with the pick.

But that's not really why I'm here - I don't completely understand what he's playing in the verses. To me it sounds like the chords C, G, and F arpeggiated, with an added Am in the chorus. Granted, there's C/G's, F/C's and G/B's in there too. And, not to forget that C/G lick he does between verses.

But I need to know from others that play this song - is that really what he does in the verses or is there more to it than I can hear but need to know?

I hope you can help me out!

Thanks!
CZ
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Default church street blues

go to u-tube for church street blues lesson tony rice version broken down and explained...
Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Here's what I think the chords are to Tony's version played out of C-position capoed at 3rd fret:

Verse
C - F - Am - G - C (repeat 4x)

Chorus
C - F - Am - G - C
F - Em - Am - G
F - G - C.

Of course, there's lots of embellishments going on, but these are the basic chords. You can hear where the changes go by singing along as you play slowly. The cadence is a little different on the first line of the chorus even though the progression is the same as the verse.

Hope this helps. FWIW, I like performing Norman's original version these days which is similar but without the Am in the verses but rather quickly back through the I chord. He also played it capoed at the 6th if memory serves.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write