The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 AM

Default Broken truss rod - GT8?

I bought a used GT8 baritone online and when I received it I noticed the action was high. I figured I would have it setup professionally here in town and they ended up lowering the action with a quick turn of the truss rod. However, its been a couple days now and the action is back to being as high as the first day receiving it. Does this sound like a broken truss rod? It sits in its case all day in the a/c so its not being exposed to extreme temps/humidity.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post
I figured I would have it setup professionally here in town and they ended up lowering the action with a quick turn of the truss rod.
I'd take it somewhere else. Truss rods shouldn't be used to lower/raise the action significantly.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 AM

If the truss rod is broken those professionals that did your setup would have known immediately.

Impossible to tell from here but my first guess (and it's only a guess) is the guitar is just re-acting to it's new environment. Give the neck another twist and see if it doesn't settle down!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'd take it somewhere else. Truss rods shouldn't be used to lower/raise the action significantly.
Jeez I dunno about that. Couldn't the guitar have been in spec (set-up properly) and the guys only noticed back bow? It then would have been the correct call to put a little straight back into the neck and indeed the result would have been slightly lower action.

Implying they "failed" is a bit of a leap here.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM

I'll give the truss rod a turn tonite, I can't really take it anywhere else easily as that is the only guitar tech in town atm.

Do I have to detune the strings or do anything special when I turn the truss rod?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM

There's various degree's of interpretation here as to whether or not de-tuning the guitar is needed. I suspect it would depend (especially on an 8-string) how much cranking you need to do. If it's not much (a quarter of a turn) I personally don't de-tune

Before you do anything have you "sighted" down the neck to see just how much back bow has crept back in??

I think one of the beauties of the Taylors I've been playing lately is how many sweet spots the guitar falls into (via neck adjustment) with just a slight twist. It would behoove you to get familiar with adjusting the neck and MORE importantly recognizing just exactly where the relief works best for you!! A handy little tool to be sure.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM

Look at the Taylor site, they have a 'tech sheet' on truss rods. They are easy to adjust, and to adjust properly. Just do so in small 1/8 turn increments.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/...adjustment.pdf

All you need is a 1/4" nut driver and a small phillips, and preferably a ruler or feeler gauge.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Cocobologist

I know this is a stupid question, but I've been known to ask plenty of them - you didn't happen to tune the guitar to standard (EADGBE) tuning, right? You left it in 'B' tuning, of course - Right?

I thought so...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
I know this is a stupid question, but I've been known to ask plenty of them - you didn't happen to tune the guitar to standard (EADGBE) tuning, right? You left it in 'B' tuning, of course - Right?

I thought so...
Yea I didn't even think of that...good call
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I thought so...
yes they are not tuned like a standard guitar. If so one will have serious issues-- possibly damage!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Definitely in B tuning....hope to be able to work on the truss rod Saturday.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I thought so...
Just reading that made my stomach queesy......
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion