The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2001, 06:53 PM

Smile

Taylors brightness and playability is very apparent.I love the Martin sound but find my personal experiances more approachable with the Taylors.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:08 AM

For playing Delta Acoustic Blues, Martins (most likely due to their price) were never chosen back in the 1920's or 30's, Stella was chosen by the likes of Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson et all. If Taylor had been around back then, I doubt if Taylor would have been chosen for the same reason. In the 21st Century, I find that different sizes & brands seem to fit different styles as well. Martin's sound great in the Bluegrass/strummed/small string band venue. Taylors are FANTASTIC for the solo artist. Kottke is a perfect example. Could you imagine his sound from a Martin? Sorry, I can't.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Default taylor vs martin

try taking a taylor to a bluegrass festivle you will burn it for firewood after you here some martins with medium gauge strings that will be the only guitars you can even here next to a good banjo mandilon and fiddle martin is and always will be the standard for guitars i would look for a recording king if i ditten wont to spend the money for a martin
Old 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM

Is 12 years a record for a zombie thread revival?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM

Orange juice vs Grapefruit juice at breakfast?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 PM

As an owner of both, they are both fantastic guitars. It really depends on personal preference and also what you are looking to get out of it. As others have mentioned, Taylors are extremely bright, great playability, and can really shine when played in a full band. If you are playing with other musicians, especially those with electric guitars, base, drums, etc...the Taylor will be bright enough to be heard. And the Expression system sounds really good when amplified.

Martin to me does have a much deeper, richer sound. It is definitely hands down better for Blues as I feel they can play a better tonal range equally. Especially if playing acoustic or with another acoustic player, nothing beats the Martin. It also has a better sustain. I have a D-18V and it is amazing at the lower end (I tend to be the rhythm guitarist while playing acoustically).

Either way, you cannot go wrong. Happy hunting!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Is 12 years a record for a zombie thread revival?
Haha - the last post when this was an active thread my daughter was in 1st grade. We had her college orientation last week
Old 11-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Intersted in what the OP decided on getting.... 15 years later

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification