The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,584
Default Opinions on Martin DM...?

What's everyone's thoughts on the Martin DM?

I'm considering picking up a Martin Dread, of course the D-28 is an object of desire, but that's not gonna happen. I was reading a few places that some folks have called the DM the poor man's D-28. I know titles like that should be taken with a grain of salt, but I just I just thought it was be helpful to hear some people's opinion of the DM. Thanks!

kip
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Placida Placida is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,196
Default

The Martin DM certainly is not a poor man's D-28; the D-28 is a rosewood dread, the DM is a laminated mahogany dread. Two totally different sounding guitars. Built different too.

That said, the DM is a great sounding, low-cost Martin that, for the money will make you proud. I've played a few at GC, and know people who own a DM. They love the guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
flip33 flip33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Default

Hello,

I really like the DM. Several of them have sounded good to me in the stores. I wanted to try a D-28, so I got one. The DM is still great in my book. It competes well with the Larrivee D-03. I have a Larrivee L-03 that sounds good to me. It has its own flavor and so does the DM. I would be happy switching my L-03 for a DM, except that my L-03 is fine.

You would do well with a DM It has a nice growl in the bass notes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
rmyAddison's Avatar
rmyAddison rmyAddison is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Addison, TX
Posts: 18,140
Default

Personally, I am not a fan of laminates other than beater guitars. Just me, but I would get a used all wood Martin before buying a new laminate. Nothing sounds like wood but...wood.
__________________
Rich - rmyAddison

Music is the best.....F. Zappa

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Some Martins..........
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Personally, I am not a fan of laminates other than beater guitars. Just me, but I would get a used all wood Martin before buying a new laminate. Nothing sounds like wood but...wood.
I agree on the wood thing. That's why I got the 000-15.

What's Martin's lowest price all wood dread, other than the D-15?
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
jwsamuel jwsamuel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post

What's Martin's lowest price all wood dread, other than the D-15?
Without mentioning prices, if you go to the Musician's Friend Web site and search on "Martin Custom D," "Martin DSM" or "Martin DSR" you'll see some good choices.

The Custom D is available in either rosewood or mahogany. The DSM is the same as the DM but with solid wood back and sides, and the DSR is the same as the DSM but with rosewood.

Also, check for the same guitars on music123.com or guitarcenter.com. They sometimes have different prices.

Here are links:

Custom D Mahogany

Custom D Rosewood

Martin DSM

Martin DSR

I just checked music123.com and the Custom D guitars are less money there than Musician's Friend, even though they are the same company.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Without mentioning prices, if you go to the Musician's Friend Web site and search on "Martin Custom D," "Martin DSM" or "Martin DSR" you'll see some good choices.

The Custom D is available in either rosewood or mahogany. The DSM is the same as the DM but with solid wood back and sides, and the DSR is the same as the DSM but with rosewood.

Also, check for the same guitars on music123.com or guitarcenter.com. They sometimes have different prices.

Here are links:

Custom D Mahogany

Custom D Rosewood

Martin DSM

Martin DSR

I just checked music123.com and the Custom D guitars are less money there than Musician's Friend, even though they are the same company.

Jim
Thanks Jim. That opens things up a bit. The DSR and Custom D look especially good.
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Eugenius Eugenius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Thanks Jim. That opens things up a bit. The DSR and Custom D look especially good.
Have you played any of these models yet? If not I would recommend trying out a few before buying if you can. There is FIERCE competition in this price range with plenty of great options.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
Have you played any of these models yet? If not I would recommend trying out a few before buying if you can. There is FIERCE competition in this price range with plenty of great options.
No, but of course I'll get out there and play first before I buy (If I am able, wasn't able to do this with my 000-15 because I could not find one in any music store, yet I've thrilled with that guitar).

I just want to know what I'm shooting at when I walk thru the doors of a music store.

If there are some really nicely priced competitive alternatives to the low-end yet solid wood martin dread range, please mention who and what they are! Thanks!

kip
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
jwsamuel jwsamuel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,693
Default

The guitars I listed are available at Guitar Center stores as well and can be played there.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
HD18JBGuy HD18JBGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 696
Default

I am a Martin guy, but try the Taylor 110. It has a solid wood top and sounds and plays great. It is in the same price range. Also, there are a few Epiphones in the same price range that are all wood and sound great as well.

If you are really woodin' (pun intended) for a Martin, I agree with everyone above and say look for an all wood used Martin. You can find them on Ebay, but you usually strike a better deal by finding one on your local Craigslist.

I will say, a Martin DM is a nice sounding, affordable guitar, but there are better options to be had for the same price range.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Eugenius Eugenius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
No, but of course I'll get out there and play first before I buy (If I am able, wasn't able to do this with my 000-15 because I could not find one in any music store, yet I've thrilled with that guitar).

I just want to know what I'm shooting at when I walk thru the doors of a music store.

If there are some really nicely priced competitive alternatives to the low-end yet solid wood martin dread range, please mention who and what they are! Thanks!

kip
Ok in that same price range give or take a few hundred:

-Epiphone Masterbilts
-Larrivee 03 Series
-Used Martin's
-Stanford (not possible to get at this point I don't think)
-Blueridge
-Recording King
-Used Taylor's
-Eastman
-Guild GAD
-Higher end Seagull's
-Yamaha L Series

Most of these all all solid woods, nicely appointed for the same price. Lots of good options.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
Ok in that same price range give or take a few hundred:

-Epiphone Masterbilts
-Larrivee 03 Series
-Used Martin's
-Stanford (not possible to get at this point I don't think)
-Blueridge
-Recording King
-Used Taylor's
-Eastman
-Guild GAD
-Higher end Seagull's
-Yamaha L Series

Most of these all all solid woods, nicely appointed for the same price. Lots of good options.
I was looking at the Recording Kings on Trinity's site. Sparked my curiousity. I also emailed Jim about them. The RD-27 caught my eye. Seems like a great price or all solid wood if they actually play and sound nice.
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Eugenius Eugenius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I was looking at the Recording Kings on Trinity's site. Sparked my curiousity. I also emailed Jim about them. The RD-27 caught my eye. Seems like a great price or all solid wood if they actually play and sound nice.
A lot of them are Martin clones, most have different necks, nuts, detailing, etc so if you can play a large variety of these you'll definitely find something you really like.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
BHulkster BHulkster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Golden State
Posts: 1,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I agree on the wood thing. That's why I got the 000-15.

What's Martin's lowest price all wood dread, other than the D-15?
The Custom D (Rosewood back/sides, or Mahogany back/sides) or the DSR with solid rosewood back/sides - which I have
__________________
2009 Taylor 714ce Spring Ltd.
2006 Taylor GS Maple
2003 Taylor 414-R Fall Ltd.
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=