The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Red face From The Beginning (ELP cover)

Okay, I don't usually offer up stuff for critique, but yesterday I was thinking about old covers (yes, the thread about favorite covers got me thinking) and I realized that I hadn't played 'From the Beginning" by ELP in a very long time. So, I decided to record it, even though the whole thing is from memory. Did I get it right? Well, I know now that I messed up some words, but it was fun trying to remember how it all fits together!

So, just for fun, have a listen and let me know if you like my rendition or not (yes, I can handle criticism)! All comments pertaining to performance, recording, and arrangement are welcome. Just click on the 'showcase' link in my signature and it should play automatically when the link opens. Thanks, in advance for listening!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up

Yeah! I like this song, too, and it's one of the ones I noodle around on virtually every time I grab a guitar

I think the first line is "A lot of good things I've missed. . ."
but otherwise pretty darn accurate (from memory)

I'll send you a bit more commentary via PM
Good job!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 PM

very nice Bob !!!!!!!!!!!!!.......that's one of my favorite tunes.............
Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM

FLDavid, thanks for your kind comments...very helpful!

Louie, thanks, so much for taking the time to listen! I think a lot of people like the original, so I'm pleased to see that you like my rendition! It's so easy to mess up a good song, if you know what I mean!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 AM

Sounds very good, brings back memories and it doesn't sound like an exact copy, which I like.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:16 AM

Thanks, Bern. I really appreciate you listening and commenting. I never do covers as a copy, rather I try to give them a fresh sound without messing up the melody and arrangement too much (keep it recognizable)! However, if I can't make it listenable and interesting, then it isn't worth doing.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 AM

Bob,

Dang, about 20 seconds into that I finally realised what song it was and the memories flooded in.........

Nice job my friend, and thanks for the flashback to my "yoot"

Well done!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Love the song! And I like your version of it Bob. A couple friends of mine (who are a very busy acoustic duo) do a couple ELP tunes, including that one. They just dont make songs like that any more. It's a Great one! Nice choice. Very nice!

Ryan

Ever done any by Firefall? America? Bread? Man, there are some great groups from that era.....
Old 09-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Rich, Thanks, it means a lot coming from you!

Ryan, thank you for your very kind words. And yes, my wife and I did quite a few from America and Bread, but we only did one song from Firefall ("Cinderella" wasn't a hit, but we liked it). Now you're bringing me back! I haven't thought of them in a very long time. About the same time frame was Air Supply, Ambrosia, Pure Prairie League and whole bunch of others! Great stuff!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Fantastic playing, love your voice. That said, I thought the song cried out for live percussion. I thought the timing sounded confused because of how you must have had to cut and paste the percussion. Get someone on a cajon or congas. Add a couple of tracks, but do it live!

Just an opinion. But overall, excellent job.

"I've tasted and obtained wealth, fame and power and can testify that they do not compare to the satisfaction that I have tasted from one drop of water from the cup of Christ which has quenched my thirst."

- Malcom Muggeridge
Old 09-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Thanks for listening Robert! I appreciate your comments and I agree! I would kill to get a percussionist to do some live work for my recordings, but I don't know any and I'm not interested in paying anyone. Unfortunately, the drums in this track are manually played on the same keyboard I used to play the strings and the synth parts. I'm rhythmically challenged, so when I can use a machine it is much more consistent, but sounds too fake! Oh, well, leaves me a lot of room to grow!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 09-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Wow! That got me thinking. I think it would be kinda cool to hear this song done Live with just an acoustic guitar and someone playing bongos. Kind of a tamer version, but I'll bet it would go over well....... Sort of like Clapton's remake of Layla. Tame but Very tasteful....
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Thanks for listening Robert! I appreciate your comments and I agree! I would kill to get a percussionist to do some live work for my recordings, but I don't know any and I'm not interested in paying anyone. Unfortunately, the drums in this track are manually played on the same keyboard I used to play the strings and the synth parts. I'm rhythmically challenged, so when I can use a machine it is much more consistent, but sounds too fake! Oh, well, leaves me a lot of room to grow!
Understand. Here's a suggestion, as lately I've become a proponent of Craiglist for just about everything.....it works.

List an ad for free asking for someone who is interested in recording for the enjoyment of it, and nothing else. Bet you get an answer....

"I've tasted and obtained wealth, fame and power and can testify that they do not compare to the satisfaction that I have tasted from one drop of water from the cup of Christ which has quenched my thirst."

- Malcom Muggeridge
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up This guy is looking for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
. . . I think it would be kinda cool to hear this song done Live with just an acoustic guitar and someone playing bongos. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
List an ad for free asking for someone who is interested in recording for the enjoyment of it, and nothing else. Bet you get an answer....
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Nice job.
I've always loved that song from way back. I always wanted to play it when I was a lot younger but didn't have the know how. I found on tab recently and learned it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell