The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Default Voyage Air VAOM-02 - switch to bone saddle worth it?

I'm in the market for an all laminate (top/back/sides) guitar for travel. I've been looking for one that can withstand long periods of time (up to 10-12 hrs a day several times a week) in my trunk in very hot/humid conditions. I'm open to suggestions and have been researching the Voyage Air VAOM-02 and the Martin LXM. Any thoughts on these or other comparable travel guitars? Solid tops are out of the question with conditions the guitar will be exposed to.

Also, does anyone think that adding a bone saddle and ebony or Antique Acoustic bridge pins will greatly enhance the sound qualities of an all laminate or HPL guitar?

Thank you!

Last edited by Rain DeLay; 02-07-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 AM

putting a bone saddle on an all laminate guitar would be like putting chrome rims on an '87 chevy -- Just not worth it.

2013 Martin Custom OM-18

2012 Martin 0-28vs
2012 Martin LX1
2012 Telecaster Ltd. Edition Ash Body
2003-ish Takamine Jasmine (first guitar I ever played/learned on)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi RainDelay,
I would worry about leaving even a laminate guitar in a trunk for that period of time. That's just too hot an environment.

That said, I don't have a real solution to offer. Why not start a thread asking about what travel guitar could stand up to the trunk test?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Might want to look at composite. They are still held together with glue. I'm far from an expert and I don't know if one could stand up to hours in a car trunk in the heat, but seems like composite would be your best chance.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Laminates are still wood. You would be better off with carbon fiber, and they sound good too. Guitars really aren't made for living in trunks, they can't breathe in there!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grachi View Post
putting a bone saddle on an all laminate guitar would be like putting chrome rims on an '87 chevy -- Just not worth it.
I was going to argue the 87 Chevy part, but the 80's really wasn't impressive for Chevrolet. I was getiing ready to graduate high school & driving a 1967 Chevy truck that I had partially restored about that time. Partially because after rebuilding it from the frame sitting on blocks in my back yard I ran out of money to paint it.
Anyway...back to guitars. I am a newbie, I have nothing of value to add.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Check out carbon fiber guitars. Definitely more spendy than the all-laminates you are contemplating, but far more durable.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain DeLay View Post
I'm in the market for an all laminate (top/back/sides) guitar for travel. I've been looking for one that can withstand long periods of time (up to 10-12 hrs a day several times a week) in my trunk in very hot/humid conditions. I'm open to suggestions and have been researching the Voyage Air VAOM-02 and the Martin LXM. Any thoughts on these or other comparable travel guitars? Solid tops are out of the question with conditions the guitar will be exposed to.

Also, does anyone think that adding a bone saddle and ebony or Antique Acoustic bridge pins will greatly enhance the sound qualities of an all laminate or HPL guitar?

Thank you!
Hi RD...

I'd not be quick to dismiss the though of a bone saddle. Bone usually has a taming and focusing effect on tone, and if there's something most all-laminate guitars benefit from it's taming and focusing the tone.

They usually suffer from a bit from harsh-highs and omni-directional blastiness. A bone saddle might just take some edge off it.

I love my Voyage-Air, but it never travels in trunks, nor does it stay in the guitar. In fact since it is a back-pack, it's gone shopping and to the restaurant with us. I am retired or it would go to work with me too (it used to).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Guest User 971

I've installed bone saddles in many laminated guitars. In fact, when I set up a guitar, I recommend a bone saddle. The result has always been favorable. If a $5 piece of bone can make a huge change in a guitar for the better, which it always has in my experience, than why not use it?

Dan
Old 02-08-2014, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I thought about composites and carbon fiber guitars and then I looked at the price!!! Needed something inexpensive and durable...luckily I found a used Martin LXM at Elderly Instruments this morning. Got a fair price, a quick set-up, new strings and I was out the door. I asked them about the bone saddle and they didn't seem to think it would make much of a difference on an HPL guitar. So I held off... for today. Still may be something I explore down the road along with the bridge pins.

Guess I'll find out this summer if the Little Martin will hold up? I'm going to try and keep it in the backseat as opposed to the trunk as much as I can.

Another thing...I'll be playing the LXM mainly in my hotel room while traveling and after trying out the Voyage Air VAOM-02 at Elderly I'm certain I'd get complaints from the people in the rooms next door. For an all laminate guitar that thing is LOUD! Really nice guitar!

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:56 AM

I suppose you can spend your money any way you want to, but putting a bone saddle in an all-laminate guitar seems to me to be just spending money for its own sake. It's not going to improve the tone of an all-laminate guitar that significantly. At least it's not as bad as all the money Alex Rodriguez spent on his lawyers... but it's a dubious investment at best (if you can even consider it an investment).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion