The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Takamine EGS430SC.. should I?

hey there everyone! since my last post i've been saving my money for a better guitar. i've decided that I want a solid top, cutaway, EQ, and tuner... so I've been pretty set on the Takamine EG341SC/EG340SC for $399.99. However, yesterday at guitar center, i saw a used Takamine EGS430SC selling for the same price! The thing is.... it looks as though the previous owner did not take care of the guitar and keep it humidified and resulted in two cracks across the top of the guitar. the first being from the bridge to the butt of the guitar and the other under the sound hole (if held in playing position). Both cracks being about 6-7 inches long. Now i've read wonders about rehumidifying the guitar and how this might mostly solve the problem all together. now the cracks aren't so bad that they are separated, it just looks cracked. It's been pretty hard finding info about this guitar on the internet. It seems to have everything i want except for a tuner. It still sounds great though. So, what do you think? Should I take the chance? this is one of the few places i could find anything about it.. http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...s/EGS430SC.htm

and here's my original choice.. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine...07-i1170417.gc

Thank you everyone in advanced for your input!!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:33 AM

In my opinion, in order to stabilize the cracks and keep them from re-occuring next winter, you would need to have them tended to by an experienced luthier. Factor the cost of this into your plan, and you will probably come up close to the cost of a new EGS430SC. With that consideration, I would say, stick with your original choice and take good care of the instrument so that yours does not have a similar fate.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM

You should go with a NEW guitar if you are going to buy a Takamine. You can get them to make sure it is all set up right, you'll get a warranty and you have a trial period in case you end up not preferring it. If you get the used one, the cracks are probably not the only problem. It will also likely need other things fixed along the way.

As far as the guitar itself, I never liked Takamine much but the cedar top ones can sound decent. The first one you mention may sound pretty good but be sure of the model you want first. Just because it has a higher model number doesn't mean it sounds better to you. I think the g330s with the cedar top sounds better than a lot of the ones in the 8 bills range. Of course I realized you want electronics and cutaway though.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 PM

thanks for the input! i decided not to go with the used one. I placed my order today for the takamine eg340sc. can't wait! thanks again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion