The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Question Experience w/ Tom Prisloe's Pavan Guitars?

I got recommended a Pavan guitar for a great student guitar. Anyone have any experience with these?

I might splurge next year for an all solid wood TP-20 for my son.

http://www.pavanguitars.com/models.html
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I have read posts by some folks who have them on other forums, and they seem to like them, generally. Prisloe actually selects the top woods himself, as I understand it. He's a good builder, himself, so he works from experience. He also sets up each guitar before he ships it out.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
I have read posts by some folks who have them on other forums, and they seem to like them, generally. Prisloe actually selects the top woods himself, as I understand it. He's a good builder, himself, so he works from experience. He also sets up each guitar before he ships it out.
Thank you for the response.

Looks like you make some very nice guitars yourself!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Tom is an absolutely first-class guy, and the Pavans are way more guitar than you have a right to expect for the money, judging from my experience with a TP-30-64. Try searching around here and on the Delcamp forum for more comments. Just one thing, Tom isn't really an e-mail kind of guy. You'll have better luck calling him, unless he's changed over the last few years.
-Bob
Old 06-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Seems to me I saw a TP-30 for sale over at Delcamp, recently, for a good price. Here is the link. As a matter of fact it's a 64 too. http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...hp?f=3&t=67358
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Seems to me I saw a TP-30 for sale over at Delcamp, recently, for a good price. Here is the link. As a matter of fact it's a 64 too. http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...hp?f=3&t=67358
Those look really nice with wood that Tom hand selects.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Musical minimalist

I had a TP-30 for a short time.....it was an OK classical, but I had many other instruments that were head and shoulders above it tonally. Workmanship was fine, but it just didn't have a lot of "liveliness" compared to a lot of other instruments I've owned.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I had a TP-30 for a short time.....it was an OK classical, but I had many other instruments that were head and shoulders above it tonally. Workmanship was fine, but it just didn't have a lot of "liveliness" compared to a lot of other instruments I've owned.
Thanks for the feedback. What were some you liked better?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Musical minimalist

I had a CY140 Yairi at the same time that had better volume and string separation.

Others were (all spruce tops)the Loriente Clarita's, Cervantes Hauser concert, Aparicio AA100 spruce, Cordoba Pro R and 55R......

I'm sure there were others, but those were definitely more responsive guitars than the Pavan. May have just been a less than ideal one, but no way to tell.....

Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I had a CY140 Yairi at the same time that had better volume and string separation.

Others were (all spruce tops)the Loriente Clarita's, Cervantes Hauser concert, Aparicio AA100 spruce, Cordoba Pro R and 55R......

I'm sure there were others, but those were definitely more responsive guitars than the Pavan. May have just been a less than ideal one, but no way to tell.....
Thank you!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM

I have a Pavan Tp30 (cedar). I got it some time ago when it was cheaper (1200 USD) for a new guitar and the conversion rates were good.

IMO the guitar is OK. Not brilliant, but not bad either. It is a loud and responsive guitar.
TBH I am hard pressed to find a better sounding guitar in Poland for the money, but that may be due to low quality of instruments in Polish stores in general...

Are there better ones for similar money? Probably yes. I would (if i could) try out the Lorient and Cervantes in your place (I read good things about them).

As a student guitar - I think it would do fine and would get your son through music school. Then he will want to upgrade to something much better (and much more expensive) for sure.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
I have a Pavan Tp30 (cedar). I got it some time ago when it was cheaper (1200 USD) for a new guitar and the conversion rates were good.

IMO the guitar is OK. Not brilliant, but not bad either. It is a loud and responsive guitar.
TBH I am hard pressed to find a better sounding guitar in Poland for the money, but that may be due to low quality of instruments in Polish stores in general...

Are there better ones for similar money? Probably yes. I would (if i could) try out the Lorient and Cervantes in your place (I read good things about them).

As a student guitar - I think it would do fine and would get your son through music school. Then he will want to upgrade to something much better (and much more expensive) for sure.
Thank you. Always better and more expensive.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM

Very good, keep it up. Thanks for sharig this nice link here with us. I appreciate your efforts.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Tom is an absolutely first-class guy, and the Pavans are way more guitar than you have a right to expect for the money, judging from my experience with a TP-30-64. Try searching around here and on the Delcamp forum for more comments. Just one thing, Tom isn't really an e-mail kind of guy. You'll have better luck calling him, unless he's changed over the last few years.
-Bob
I’ve made 4 attempts to talk to Tom Prisloe about a TP30 I am interested in buying new. He has not responded to any of my phone calls or emails. I will not buy from home because it appears he’s a flake. Their are a lot of similarities guitars on the market and I’m sure I’ll find one with good customer service.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 AM

Interesting response. I spoke with Tom by phone a few years back. He responded withing a few days. Tom certainly did not impress me as a flake. He was forthcoming and expansive about his classical guitars and has a very liberal return policy: if you're not satisfied with your new Pavan, you can return it for a full refund minus return shipping costs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical