The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Blueridge or Eastman or Recording King
Blueridge 81 23.55%
Eastman 211 61.34%
Recording King 52 15.12%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Blueridge vs Eastman vs Recording King

Which is your favorite guitar company? And, share your experience please!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 PM

None of the above?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
None of the above?
Which of these 3... might have been a better title These companies seem to be very much in the for front of Chinese guitar making these days. At least mass produced guitars from China. It's pretty clear from my signature which one of these I favor, but I think they are all competitive. I'll be interested in the responses.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 PM

I voted Blueridge since I love my BR-341 parlor so much, but it IS a tough call since Eastman makes very fine instruments. And their Adi-topped OMs are really great. But I prefer the Blueridge parlors to the Eastman parlor I tried.

IME the Recording Kings are well made but have a very simple tone, whereas the BR and Eastman guitars have a lot more complexity.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Before I played an Eastman E10D I would have said Blueridge. Now I will say Eastman.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

i would say all three companies make some great guitars. each has their own sound and characteristics, and each has some standout guitars. i haven't dealt with eastman (yet) but saga (blueridge) and themusiclink (recording king) are quick to answer emails and very helpful.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I like the Eastman rosewood and mahogany parlors a lot, but I'm hardly the expert about any of the 3 companies.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM

I own both an Eastman and a Recording King. I'd say the Eastman is the better of the two, but then it cost 4 times as much. Is it 4 times better??

But, then the same could be said about the Eastman when compared to the closest US made counterpart which cost about 4 times the price of the Eastman.

All are fine guitars, just find the one that fits your ear and your budget....

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 PM

I think the poll says it all. I had an RK but got rid of it for an Eastman.

Eastman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQoLrhX53g

and RK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9Q1...eature=related
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM

I was thinking to add Stanford to the poll, but since it has few dealers in NA, so there are only three choices!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM

I consider all three quite similar. All have entry level to nice high-end instruments.

I have a "cheap" RK RAJ-16 that I'm quite fond of. Best 232 beans I've spent in a while
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Default Eastman, with qualifiers

I have great affection for both of my maple/englemann Eastmans, an AC608ce GC and an AJ816ce jumbo - big/little brother siblings in appearance and sonically, but love my BR-361 Blueridge parlor with equal fervor. That little box has the most wonderfully complex and musical tone I could imagine. Very much in the "Goodall" vein. It is a great fingerpicker. The Eastmans are superior all-around instruments IMHO, though. Construction quality is impeccable on all three.

(Thanks to patticake for the suggestion to use silk & steel strings to refine the tone on "brash" parlors!)

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Recording King instruments, but will remedy that some day.

Last edited by CheeseheadSteve; 01-03-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Add Recording King to comment.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM

I have an Eastman and a Recording King. The necks on Blueridges just seem to narrow for my taste (big hands). I have played some very nice Recording Kings, but for my money the Eastman E series is just in another class. In fact my E 10d has sort of ruined any since of GAS I may have because most anything I play doesn't sound as good unless I get into the 3 thousand or more range.

I was out looking to buy a d-18 when I got it, and I couldn't be happier. I will say I wouldn't mind if the string spacing at the bridge were a bit wider.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Default Interesting not-too-expensive guitars...

I had to jump in, because I'm using a Recording King guitar currently. I guess if you want an inexpensive guitar, there are many around $300-500, and you get what you pay for. But for something that is not so expensive that you don't want to leave the house with it, but good enough to go onstage or record with, I think both Eastman and Recording King have some interesting not-too-expensive guitars.

I had the chance to be in a shop which had both, in several styles. My impression was that of having a hand-made, solid wood guitar that beat out the Martins and Gibsons at a similar price. Particularly the RNJ-25, which suits my style so well I used it to record one of the instrumentals on my recent album, which was mostly recorded using a Martin and a Gibson.
Here's My Facebook Page
Here's My Facebook Music Store
Gibson J-185 (early 90s Montana)
Martin 000-18GE
Recording King RNJ-25, Century Jubilee Series Troubadour, Nick Lucas Style
Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 AM

Blueridge and RK make fine guitars. But Eastmans are a clear step above IMO. They are making their way from a great MIC guitar to a great guitar, period.

Looks like Im not the only one who thinks this way by the poll numbers so far.

Share experiences? Well, everything from the way the company treats their customers to that great tone, all top notch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion