The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Swiming and Running which one is more effective exercise?

I got the membership for the sports club..
and swam about 5 days straight. and wondered which one is more effective exercise to burn the carlories and fat..

swimming has one edge..No sweat!.

anyone?~..

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Actually, you do sweat quite a bit when swimming but you just don't realize it. Swimming is great exercise and many people prefer it because it is a non-impact activity, whereas running sometimes leads to leg injuries. In my experience (I was a competitive triathlete years ago), running is more effective in terms of getting the most bang for your buck, but swimming isn't bad, either. One problem with swimming for many people is that poor technique often leads quickly to fatigue. We all learn how to run with correct form (well, most of us ), but most people never learn good swimming technique unless they swim competitively. Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM

I HATE running. I LOVE swimming. There you go.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Musical minimalist

on my way out the door, but in short, you cardio vascular system is impacted by the movement of your extremeties in either case......as long as your heart rate is in it's training zone, it doesn't matter what you are doing from an effectiveness standpoint. That said, the impact of running certainly has it's downside in the feet, ankles, knees, hips (and even low back), whereas swimming is only impacting the shoulders in most cases.
Also, I wouldn't reccomend doing anything for 5 days straight (the same activity) Give yourself a day off, one day (at least) of strength training (performed PROPERLY.....if you don't know, ask someone QUALIFIED)

Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
on my way out the door, but in short, you cardio vascular system is impacted by the movement of your extremeties in either case......as long as your heart rate is in it's training zone, it doesn't matter what you are doing from an effectiveness standpoint. That said, the impact of running certainly has it's downside in the feet, ankles, knees, hips (and even low back), whereas swimming is only impacting the shoulders in most cases.
Also, I wouldn't reccomend doing anything for 5 days straight (the same activity) Give yourself a day off, one day (at least) of strength training (performed PROPERLY.....if you don't know, ask someone QUALIFIED)
thanks..guys..and Thanks "FITNESS"..

I just realized your nick name "FITNESS"..just right person to ask..

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM

I recall an article in Bicycling magazine several years back where they talked about a study that compared running, cycling and swimming for their effectiveness at weight loss.

IIRC, the women who cycled lost the most weight on average, runners lost the second most and swimmers actually gained weight. I don't recall if they discussed if it was muscle mass or fat that was gained. I think there was some speculation about the heat loss from swimming that caused the body to react and put on pounds...

Well, that was a moderately useless post. I figured I had no hope of finding the article so I did my best. Which type of exercise is best for the memory?

1997 Taylor 514C - stolen 1/12/06 RETURNED 11/12/06
2006 Webber OM - cocobolo/bearclaw sitka

Our adoption blog: Kevin & I-Chwen's Adoption Blog
Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Looking at the Olympic swimmers and runners, I would say the runners are much more lean and trim. That doesn't mean it's the better excersise in the long run, as others mentioned, running can wear on the body.
As for swimming actually causing weight gain, I've heard this as well. Presumably, the cold water encourages the body to pack on some fat for insulation.

I prefer biking, it's fun so I'm more apt to do it. Less impact than running.
Taylor GA3
Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM

I like to swim. If you can swim a mile, you can jog a mile pretty easily. However, if you can jog a mile, this doesn't necessarily mean that you can swim a mile. At my best, I weighed in at about 265 and was swimming about 5 miles a week. I could swim 2 miles without stopping. Runners would come in and be ready to puke after about 4 laps.

Swimming is great. No noise - just bubbles. Tones your muscles all over. Great for weight loss. 0 impact. You don't have to be social to swim. No iPods to mess with (unless you get one of those gadgets that lets you swim with electronic gear). No traffic. No treadmills. No expensive running shoes, just a set of trunks, some decent goggles, and a gym membership.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM

If you can run, then run. I am too heavy and running has always been unpleasant. I power walk for an hour after my weight lifting and then go in the pool to finish off. When I'm really on a roll, I swim 40 laps too and it does make a difference in slimming me down. It does however damage my hair which at 53, I want to keep as much of as possible. It bleaches out the color, seems to make it cottony and thinning. I stopped swimming to gain a rebound a few months back and indeed it looks more healthy and full. No hair problems? Swim it up.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Swimming can give you a little weight gain as your upper body muscles tone up, but you will not gain signifcant amounts of weight or muscle mass like you would by lifting lots of weights. If you can keep swimming and lose some body fat, the muscle tone will probably be quite attractive to most people.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM

I have to either swim of bike fore exercize. I have such a weak right ankle it will buckle and twist even if I look at it wrong. Even walking to the car can be an anxiety provoking experience. If my weight gets off balance on that right ankle just by a tiny fraction it will twist. So it is biking for me mostly and in my wife's family indoor pool along with a stair stepper and stationary bike in the winter.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM

My running technique is so bad, I mash up my ankles just trying to warm up. I swim like a fish, though. Couldn't run 100 yards to save my life.

Egaging the large muscles in the legs burns way more calories than engaging the smaller muscles in the arms. So for burning calories, the best exercise uses more leg which is why cycling is great for burning calories and avoiding the impact associated with running.

If they ever come up with a biathalon event of just swimming and cycling, I'd be in seniors competition for sure.
2005 Taylor 855CE - EIR + Sitka
2003 Beardsell 9C - EIR + Engleman
2002 Adamas 1597- Carbon fiber
1980's

Past-
Assorted Yamahas, Fenders, Gibsons, Larrivees, Taylors, R Taylors and one long-gone but sorely missed Martin D-28 sold to fund my continued education.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Musical minimalist

the original poster hasn't specified WHAT his goal is. My initial post was directed at increased cardio vascular endurance. As far as swimming making you gain weight, I'd have to qualify that with "is the heart rate in the same spot as when biking, running etc. If it is, it would take a LOT of data to convince me it's true. I "hear" a lot of things after being in the fitness field for almost 25 years, most of it isn't substantiated by folks with credentials of any kind, if it is, many times it's because they are being paid to attach their name to a given product.
What it boils down to is, if your goal is reduction of body fat, increased musculo-skeletal strength, and cardio-vascular endurance and flexibility (and these SHOULD be your goals, by the way) Then a balanced routine of cardio, strength and flexibility exercise should be your mode.
A lot of folks don't realize this, but after age 35 or so, if you don't do resistance training, you will lose about 1/2 lb of muscle mass per year.
Every pound of muscle mass lost equals about 100 calories a day OFF your basal metabolism. Obviously the reverse is also true. A 170 lb male can gain 4-5 lbs of muscle in about 2 months if untrained previously, and training CORRECTLY. That adds 500 calories each day, times 7 days a week.....3500 calories that you weren't burning previously. Mix this with 3-5 days of moderate cardio vascular exercise and you can see where the weight will drop pretty quickly if the diet is in line.....that's a whole other story.
If you have any specific questions.....feel free to ask.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Musical minimalist

[QUOTE=Ovaltitan;1574349]

Egaging the large muscles in the legs burns way more calories than engaging the smaller muscles in the arms. QUOTE]

In theory that's true, but if you are running at a 5.5 mph pace and your heart rate is only about 120, but swimming at even 3/4 the spead of Mr Phelps, and your heart rate is 140, which exercise is burning more calories??

One more thing I want to mention....LEARN how to take and calculate your Target Heart Rate....simple way is 220 minus your age, then multiply that number by .70 and .85. Training low to mid in your THR burns a higher PERCENTAGE of calories from fat, (about 60/40) as you move towards the 85% bracket, it "flip/flops".... more like 40 fat, 60 carbs (which is a 'quicker' fuel) So while you are burning more overall calories, the amount of fat you are burning is staying about the same or going down.

Training too hard increases the incidence of injury, normally doesn't allow for as long of a training session, and leaves you more fatigued in the hours/days to follow. Unless you are training for competition in a specific event, there is no need to train in the 80-85% region.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

My goal is get in shape..I used to weight 165lbs 10 years ago...and now i am close to 190lbs..
I just worry about my health because my family has high blood pressure problem..

i decided to join the club and run but i have some problem with my knees..and i've heard swimming wouldn't bother the joint and knees much as running..~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
the muscle tone will probably be quite attractive to most people.
my speedo pants easily can get them turn away and leave..

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic