The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Default CITIES and Honduras Mahogany

Can anyone confirm that Honduras Mahogany is Appendix l on CITIES.

thanks

daniel
Old 10-18-2017, 05:02 PM

https://www.cites.org/eng/news/pr/20...mahogany.shtml

Can't seem to find much newer easily.

Last edited by printer2; 10-18-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM

The answer is yes, but the restrictions on trade are contained in the annotations, and these vary for species listed in Appendix I. International trade of mahogany logs, lumber and veneer requires CITES paperwork. Trade of manufactured items containing mahogany is free.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:25 PM

The answer is no. Mahogany is listed on CITES Appendix II not Appendix I. See USF&WS web page: https://www.fws.gov/international/plants/mahogany.html

Also, the Appendix II listing only applies to mahogany from the "neotropics" which include Central and South America tropical regions. It doesn't apply to mahogany or other species called mahogany from other locations. From the above web page: "The listing of bigleaf mahogany includes only populations in the Neotropics. Therefore, bigleaf mahogany grown on plantations outside of the Neotropics is not regulated under CITES. Today most plantations are located in Indonesia and Fiji."

Last edited by Shuksan; 10-18-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
The answer is no. Mahogany is listed on CITES Appendix II not Appendix I."

My answer was indeed incorrect, it IS Appendix II — apologies. I was jumping ahead to the point that restrictions under the listing are entry-specific, which surprises many people. The devil really is in the details, and not which Appendix it’s on.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM

I agree that the devil is in the details, but a listing on Appendix I versus Appendix II does matter. International trade for commercial purposes of species on Appendix I is banned (with some exceptions for specific instances of documentation showing a material was collected before a certain date) because the species are threatened with extinction. International trade for commercial purposes of species on Appendix II is allowed but regulated, which is where the importance of the details really come into play since they can differ a lot for different species.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion