The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 PM

Default how big is the difference

I currently have a Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro. Mahogany back and sides (solid wood) with a spruce top. This weekend I was in another city (600 km away) played a Gibson LG-2 (American Eagle). It was used. 1/2 price. It played very nicely and can't get my mind off of it. After playing the S&P I 'think' the Gibson was so much better. I can't find one to play locally.

I play at home, for my own enjoyment. I am trying justify the purchase. If I get the Gibson, think I will sell the S&P first. I am hedging... do I really need it?

Question: Can anybody tell me the differences (big or small) between an inexpensive guitar and something better (Martin 00015M or Gibson Lg-2).

Thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

You rarely ever really "need" a different guitar. If you want it that bad, though, go ahead and get it. Otherwise, passing it by will haunt you in your dreams until the itch is satisfied.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 10-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Need has nothing to do with it. If it brings you joy it is money well spent. And it is a Gibson
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesidae View Post
Question: Can anybody tell me the differences (big or small) between an inexpensive guitar and something better (Martin 00015M or Gibson Lg-2).
Thanks
With factory guitars, the differences between "inexpensive" and "something better" could be very minor to major, and "something better" may not really be better. There's a lot of variation between instruments of the same model from variations in the wood from which they are built. You may find an inexpensive guitar that sounds better than most of the "something better" guitars. That's true at any price point. More $$ does not necessarily mean "better tone". Play a bunch in your price range, and try to play several of the same model so you can hear how much difference there is (or isn't).

You can't take anyone's word, only you hear with your ears.
et al
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
You rarely ever really "need" a different guitar. If you want it that bad, though, go ahead and get it. Otherwise, passing it by will haunt you in your dreams until the itch is satisfied.

^Well said!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Need has nothing to do with it. If it brings you joy it is money well spent. And it is a Gibson
...I agree with you. I guess I am doubting whether the Gibson sounded as good a I think it did.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I agree with you. I guess I am doubting whether the Gibson sounded as good a I think it did.
I'm not even sure that matters either! You said yourself you play for YOU. Does it really sound better? Maybe, maybe not. But if you think it does, and you have the means to get it for yourself, you should do it and never look back.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM

"Perfect" guitars aren't as available as you might think. If you truly want this guitar, at half price or less, and you can't get it out of your mind, then, I say do whatever you have to do to get it now. If the Gibson is "so much better", and you wait until you sell your current guitar, it will probably be gone.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks
"better" is a subjective term and I think of guitars like paint brushes. What works best depends on the player: How they play it and what they plan to play on it.... With that said, I can tell you why the Gibson LG-2 and Martin 000-15m are more expensive. Gibson and Martin are well established brands. Both companies have been around for over a hundred years and both companies have created iconic acoustic guitar models that have defined folk, country and rock & roll.... The actual sound a guitar makes, the way it feels, etc.. comes from the collection of little things. It's not just the design, but the materials used, the finish, the quality of hardware, where the woods are sourced from, how the wood is stored and prepared, etc.... it's a long list of things that make it very hard for one company to really create identical copies of another companies product.

As far as tangible material cost differences: In the case of the LG-2 vs your Simon & Patrick. The Gibson has solid African Mahagony for the back and sides, your S&P has laminated Cherry for the back and sides.
http://www.simonandpatrick.com/specs.htm S&P uses a Polyurethane based finish, Gibson uses Nitrocellulose. Nitro is more difficult to apply and also generally considered to let the wood breathe more and help with tone. Also, the LG-2 was made in the USA. Regardless of your feelings on US factories being able to produce a better quality guitar than foreign factories the reality is the guitar market says brand name USA built guitars are worth more. On that topic, you have to keep in mind any product is given a value based on its market demand not the sum of its material cost. The material cost usually plays a part given competition in a free market, but it's not always true. Because we have over a century of history with Gibson and Martin building the guitars played by legends there is a mystique that factors in given certain brands more value than others beyond material cost and the truth is players should be aware that premium doesn't always mean better quality construction or even higher quality materials that what you can get for much less in another brand. With a Gibson, Martin, Collings, Taylor, etc... you are in part paying to join the club of players who use these brands. "Club brands" as I like to call them are just a reality with so many product categories in American culture....

All that said, the LG-2 hasn't been one of Gibson's more popular models. Since alternative country artist Chris Stapleton became popular and loves to play his vintage LG-2 solo, there seems to be renewed interest in this model by the Folk/Americana/Country audience. I imagine that will only increase as time goes forward. An LG-2 at the right price is a good buy.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 10-18-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:26 PM

^^Wayne, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Your reply is very thorough... And compelling. Thx!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:31 PM

Everyone will have different priorities, budgets, and many factors that influence their buying decisions.
Selecting a guitar can get complicated, expensive, emotional and above all personal.

Just get out and play them.
If a guitar is worth the price to you, then buy it.

You don't have to justify it.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM

I usually post this...

...but now I'm adding this:

Have fun!
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 PM

Default going for a better one

For me, I have found that a"better" (notice I did not say "more expensive") guitar is both easier and more enjoyable to play, which means I play it longer and enjoy it more - and it inspires me to learn something(s) new almost every time a new one arrives. I am careful with purchases and almost never look back on them once I have taken the forward step. No second guessing keeps me happier!

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 PM

If you can afford it, go for it. Just because you play for yourself rather than professionally doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy and be inspired by a nicer guitar. I've now owned guitars at multiple price points, from a $200 Yamaha to a Martin costing 10x as much, with a couple in between those extremes. I will say that in my experience I feel like I've gotten what I paid for. The Martin's build quality is the best of the bunch, and that means a lot to me. Is my Martin 10x better than my Yamaha? I guess that's subjective, but I'd say so.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Can anybody tell me the differences (big or small) between an inexpensive guitar and something better (Martin 00015M or Gibson Lg-2).
The differences may be subtle, but they're definitely there. Materials, craftsmanship, experience, and a more hands-on approach to building are what separate the higher-end guitars from the mass-produced. The designs are timeless. Their tone has an identity, and you can actually hear their differences. I've never heard of anyone ever talking about the "classic Ibanez tone."

To a large degree, it's also about pride of ownership, and being a part of a heritage of American-made musical instruments that dates back a century and more.

You're looking at two of my favorite guitars in the world, by the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion