The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Replace tuners

I've never done any work on a guitar before (other than change strings) but I'm contemplating replacing tuners on my old Epiphone. The guitar was set up last year and really sounds/plays nice but the tuners just feel clunky. They are the original (1974/1975?) so I'm sure they're most likely over the hill.
My question is - how to find tuners that would fit and be a relatively easy job to replace. It doesn't seem like it should be terribly difficult.
Reading around here, I see that matching screw holes are one aspect to consider.
Anything else I should be aware of or any advice on proceeding?
thanks

Dan
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Matching screw holes is significant, but so are post sizes and other tuner measurements. I recommend you use calipers on your present tuners and consult with the Stew-Mac web site, which has extensive diagrams of many offerings.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 PM

The old tuners will likely leave a print in the finish so you may have to match the footprint as well as the screw hole in order for an invisible replacement.

Also, it would be better to use the existing ferrules to avoid the same problem on the front of the headstock. This would mean using tuners with the same sized posts. There are 2 standard sizes, both of which are catered for in the replacement market.

It's a reversible mod, so not do or die. It might be worth trying to rehab the OEM ones - I've successfully done this with silicon grease on open backs, and used teflon lube (a bit thinner in application) for closed back type gears.

BOL,

Matt
Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 AM

good stuff guys - thanks!
Matt - is there a decent chance that just lubing them will smooth them out?
(I know you have no way of knowing - just curious if that happens often)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair