The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 AM

I'll try to reconcile the differences here if you allow me.

FWIW I think that Larrivee and Taylor are very comparable, I had two relatively new L bodies side by side with a used GS-8 for around a year.

The Larrivee tone changes substantially over the years, it's still a Larrivee balanced tone, but the bass blooms after some time with a lot of sustain.

I understand when people say that Larrivee guitars have a "tone of their own" or they're "more traditional". To me, that resonates with my experience of new Larrivees (heavier bracing and thicker finish) for the first and with older Larrivees for the latter.

When new, Larrivee's are bright like Taylors, but to my ears - 10 years back - they were a bit fuller, that's why I kept the Larrivee and sold the GS-8 because the two guitars were too close tonally, again to my ears.

I would describe the L that I still own after 13-14 years as still having a tight sound (but much much less so than before) with lush sustain, HiFi trebles and present bass that isn't overpowering compared to the same aged Martins I have. I still love my Martins BTW.

I play fingerstyle without nails, and the trebles of My L-05 compensates for the lack of attack as a result. I consider Larrivees to be more modern sounding in general.

That's the main reason why I still have the L-05 + it's the only guitar I have ever had that hasn't shown the slightest sign of a belly (dues to the L's parallel cross brace after the bridge). Most martins have some bellying behind the low E string, even when new.

I hope this helps
Cheers
HNS

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 10-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Being an owner of a Larrivee OM-05 I would consider a Taylor (600 or above) as an upgrade. I think the tones are very similar.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Thanks all for the impressions so far. This is truly helpful and also confirms some experiences.

It seems that so far the consensus leans toward:

1. Taylors tend to be somewhat brighter, a little less warmth than most Larrivees.
2. There is some overlap in tonal qualities
3. From those who have played/owned both, some preference towards Larrivee as being more distinctive (at least so far)
4. Taylor represents a modern guitar tone, FWIW.

The one thing I've not experienced yet with a Taylor is a singing, responsive touch - thinking Keaggy or Bensusan when they are launching into improvisation.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
Hey Gordon,

I'm right up the road from you in Lynnwood. I would recommend you make the trip to Renton and go to A#. They have a real good selection of Taylors so you can get a good feel for the differences between the Taylor series.

I would recommend checking out the 300 series that use Blackwood.

Happy hunting!!
Thanks for the recommendation! Have you been to Dusty Strings? They seem to have a decent selection (although not comprehensive).

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
The one thing I've not experienced yet with a Taylor is a singing, responsive touch - thinking Keaggy or Bensusan when they are launching into improvisation.
I'm looking for a Taylor as well, but something different than what I previously had.

I'm looking for a responsive dynamic sounding guitar, that's very responsive to the touch and comfortable for couch playing.... I was considering the 812/912 12 fret. It has bass it has Hifi trebles and it's a comfy couch guitar with an armrest.

Sonically, it's a bit boxy (due to size, it's an oo size) and tonally it's more midrangey than a GA or a GS, because its sonic palette is reduced on both ends.

If you're looking for a perfect fingerstyle guitar look into the Grand Orchestra body size. I have no experience with them.

I would also look into the Santa Cruz fingerstyle guitar if you want a big guitar, otherwise look into the SCGC eric Skye OO. But that's my preference.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

No other guitar company has made more "nice" guitars and for far too much money than Taylor. Overbuilt so they don't come back.

They do sound good for rhythm guitar, ensemble playing or recording. They also feel great. But $2,500 for production, drive a car over it, guitars is a business model that will most likely never again be repeated.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Taylors and Larrivees are different guitars with different sets of tonality. If you want a Larrivee that is more "Taylorish" my suggestion would be to try their newest models that are now "revoiced" and of those pick out the biggest body size you can find at your local dealer. But then, having more than one maker of fine guitar in your stable is a good thing in my opinion in that it gives you a wider tonal range from which to choose to optimize your playing of a given tune.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Hey Gordon,

Yes, I've been to Dusty. I prefer the selection at A# and they are much easier to deal with in my experience. Have purchased one guitar from Dusty and at least 25 from A#.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
Hey Gordon,

Yes, I've been to Dusty. I prefer the selection at A# and they are much easier to deal with in my experience. Have purchased one guitar from Dusty and at least 25 from A#.
Wow. Great information. Sounds like I need to take a little afternoon journey.

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 PM

As popular as Taylor's are, I can understand your "want" to have one.

The fact remains... You'll have to search and find one that floats your boat.

I had a Larrivee OM-03R that I thought was the best guitar in the world. I had to sell it about 5 years ago and 2 or 3 months ago I bought a Taylor. 2 or 3 days ago I bought a Larrivee.

The Taylor is up for sale.

Truth.

Be careful.

Last edited by 3notes; 10-17-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2017, 05:59 PM

I actually made that change. For many years I had a L'Arrivee LV-09E (made in Vancouver in 2000) that had a great sound but I never fully bonded with it, I found it a bit stiff to play. About a year ago, I randomly picked up a Taylor 322ce 12-fret and it really spoke to me, took the Taylor home, sold the L'Arrivee, and I have been immersed in acoustic playing at a level I have never been before in my 30+ years of playing.

I haven't played any of the newer L'Arrivees so can't really comment on them, although they all seem to have the longer 25.5" scale (excluding the Parlour) so I might find the same "stiffness" there as well. I think the main difference in playing feel on my 322ce 12-fret is the shorter (24.9") scale. I found the same thing comparing the Martin OM and 000 guitars, the shorter-scale 000 was definitely the winner for me.

Also, I like the looks of the original LV-09E better (clear pickguard) to the newer model w/ tort guard. And, as a Canadian, they have lost some desirability after their move to the US. .

Later
Rob
Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
As popular as Taylor's are, I can understand your "want" to have one.

The fact remains... You'll have to search and find one that floats your boat.

I had a Larrivee OM-03R that I thought was the best guitar in the world. I had to sell it about 5 years ago and 2 or 3 months ago I bought a Taylor. 2 or 3 days ago I bought a Larrivee.

The Taylor is up for sale.

Truth.

Be careful.
Thanks for that - I am pretty 'picky' and my expectations are both high and fairly specific. I really just wanted some feedback on whether I - as a confirmed Larrivee player - would be likely to find something valuable in a Taylor. It sounds like the answer so far is a qualified 'maybe.'

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Old 10-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2966 View Post
Also, I like the looks of the original LV-09E better (clear pickguard) to the newer model w/ tort guard. And, as a Canadian, they have lost some desirability after their move to the US. .
Funny thing, when I started playing one in 1980, almost no one in WA state knew anything about them. A few years later, I started touring the West Coast. By then WA people were hearing about them and buying them, but OR and CA looked at me like I was playing a guitar from Elbonia. I'm sure sales increased nicely once they became an 'American made' guitar.

(I also REALLY miss the clear pickguard!)

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Default 12 fret

Any of the 12 frets...I got the 612 and the 812...they are great!!!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Taylor short scale

I've always liked the fundamental tone of Larrivees and the "shimmeriness" of Taylors (for lack of a better term). Switched back and forth for a while until I found a short scale Taylor, which I found to be a really nice balance between the two.

If you can find one, I highly recommend you try it out!

Check out my first original!
Facebook
Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion