The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-14-2017, 10:30 PM

I don't think I ripped the guy off. Even though I didn't do any research before giving him a number, I looked this afternoon, and the prices seem fair considering the condition of the instruments. This whole episode has been put to rest.

I first met this dude when they got married about 3-4 years ago. Then, he couldn't play Coming To Jesus in whole notes. Now, he sounds like Tony Rice. The only thing about this whole soap opera that gets under my skin is that he plays better than me, and I've been trying to play this thing for over 50 years.
Larrivee OM 03E
Aria AP-STD
Gibson TB-2 conversion banjo
Price Cavalier banjo
Old 10-15-2017, 02:02 AM

I would just give him the money back myself but I doubt I would have much more to do with him after that. Otherwise it might remain an open sore for a long time. In fact, it still might.
Just a personal opinion obviously.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_214ce View Post
Glad it worked out.

I am not sure about the actual chain of events involved in your situation, but to me there is a remaining issue in that your wife essentially sided with her best friend against you based on her friends opinion - without first discussing it with you.

Even at the risk of causing friction, I myself would need to have a conversation with my wife explaining to her how she put me in an awkward situation that I did not appreciate, and request she not do so in the future.

Just my opinion.
You just made the most relevant comment of this thread.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
I don't think I ripped the guy off. Even though I didn't do any research before giving him a number, I looked this afternoon, and the prices seem fair considering the condition of the instruments. This whole episode has been put to rest.

I first met this dude when they got married about 3-4 years ago. Then, he couldn't play Coming To Jesus in whole notes. Now, he sounds like Tony Rice. The only thing about this whole soap opera that gets under my skin is that he plays better than me, and I've been trying to play this thing for over 50 years.
That is really cool. That's what makes friends. And should make you better.!!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Gary, some stuff I rip through and get pretty decent quickly, other tunes forget about it. You just have to find your thing.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

He propositioned you, and assuming you sold him the guitars at fair market value, how could this possibly be construed as "taking advantage of him"? If he now has buyers remorse and wants to return them--and you are comfortable with that--then fine. But otherwise, this is now between him and his wife, and if she's persistent about him getting rid of HIS new guitars, then HE can sell them to recoup the money spent...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 10-15-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:43 AM

This is why I never sell anything.

Funny how people are still giving you advice when you've already posted the solution and resolution.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
..Funny how people are still giving you advice when you've already posted the solution and resolution.
You read it all the time......."I didn't read any of the responses but .........."
Old 10-15-2017, 09:04 AM

Didn't read all replies (too much to read on phone) but here's my thought.
it'll be stupidity to make both wives feel bad.
Just take the guitars back.
Wifey needs to be happy.
Doesn't matter whether you guys did it right or not.
That bad feeling from wife is not worth it.

Edit: haha... Just read the post above mine. Tok late in the game .
Old 10-15-2017, 09:41 AM

The wife and I went out for breakfast this morning. Jokingly, but with a deadpan expression, she said Kristi will get one or both of them in the divorce settlement. I just blinked, and kept my mouth shut.

I'll be glad when the football games start so we can talk about who and who didn't kneel.
Larrivee OM 03E
Aria AP-STD
Gibson TB-2 conversion banjo
Price Cavalier banjo
Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 AM

My question is, Did you indeed take advantage of your friend ? Only you know the answer to that. If you did, then Do the right thing.
Maybe a partial refund would make everyone happy. If Mamma ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

Ed
Old 10-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You read it all the time......."I didn't read any of the responses but .........."

That's it...

"...and the beat goes on...."
Old 10-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
My question is, Did you indeed take advantage of your friend ? Only you know the answer to that. If you did, then Do the right thing.
Maybe a partial refund would make everyone happy. If Mamma ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

Ed
I've learned in my 11 years as an AGF member that what is and what is not a good deal is entirely subjective, and in the end irrelevant because it is our perceptions that guide our judgments/emotions. I'm sure that the OP saw this as a good deal as did the buyer or they wouldn't have come to an agreement. The water gets muddier as others stir up the bottom....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-15-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Reader's Digest version. Wifey's best friend's husband won $$ in Vegas and approached me about selling him a guitar. He ended up buying two. When he asked how much for both I shot him a price, and he bought them. His wife, and now my wife, thinks I took advantage of him.
Shame that your wife was pre-disposed to agree with a friend's lesser opinion of you and she (your WIFE) didn't give you the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
The wife and I went out for breakfast this morning. Jokingly, but with a deadpan expression, she said Kristi will get one or both of them in the divorce settlement. I just blinked, and kept my mouth shut.
Quite often "jokes" reveal true thought processes. Maybe wise to keep your mouth shut...I suppose. Maybe.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I'll be glad when the football games start so we can talk about who and who didn't kneel.

Your friend’s wife is obviously not over it. She seems like poison, she should shut up about the guitars already. It’s pretty obvious she had her plans with that money, and it didn’t include guitars for her husband.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic