The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-14-2017, 04:13 PM

This whole thing is just surreal to me. I talked to my wife earlier, and I offered to buy them back if that's what would make everybody happy. Wifey called Besty, and as it turns out, the buyer was very happy with the deal he got on two pristine Martin guitars. One was a HD-28VS Custom and the other a HD-28LSV. Both had all paperwork and hang tags. I sold them for $3K apiece. He told his wife he could sell them for a profit if he wanted. So, now Besty is ok with it all.

The last thing Vicki asked me was if I sold them too cheap.
Larrivee OM 03E
Aria AP-STD
Gibson TB-2 conversion banjo
Price Cavalier banjo
Old 10-14-2017, 04:19 PM

Congratulations! Ha! Sometimes you can't win! You seem to have the patience of a Saint. It's good that things worked out. Maybe he owes you a dinner?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
This whole thing is just surreal to me. I talked to my wife earlier, and I offered to buy them back if that's what would make everybody happy. Wifey called Besty, and as it turns out, the buyer was very happy with the deal he got on two pristine Martin guitars. One was a HD-28VS Custom and the other a HD-28LSV. Both had all paperwork and hang tags. I sold them for $3K apiece. He told his wife he could sell them for a profit if he wanted. So, now Besty is ok with it all.

The answer to that one is "No. But I did give him a good price, since he is your best friend's husband."
Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Unwise, considering the circumstances. It would only serve to validate the accusations from the women folk and put both the seller and buyer in a bad spot with them. Best to cancel the deal altogether, maintain the valuation as fair market value and walk away from it leaving the ladies feeling like they're holding onto the C of an A-to-B transaction.
Yeah this.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:23 PM

Congrats.

Time to edit your Signature...They ain't coming back.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:

:ro ll:
Old 10-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Good lord, some people. Glad it worked out.

My mom died, her best friend and next door neighbor needed a better car, asked if I was selling the like new but 10 year old SUV with 24K miles, I said if you want it you can have it. So I put new brakes on up front, replaced all the lug nuts because of some rust, had it detailed, signed over the pink. Also detailed, photographed, listed and sold her old SUV for her.

Much gratitude, but then complaint after complaint about how the turning radius was bigger than her Explorer, how the seat wasn't as comfortable, the clock quit working, the radio stations weren't coming in well. I fixed the loose antenna connection but that was all I could do. She just recently crumpled the corner of the front bumper, we popped it back out with a crowbar and heat gun and cleaned all the white paint out of the scratches from the post she rubbed, so it looks almost new again. Took 45 minutes, saved her hundreds.

But, yeah. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be kind or generous or do any sort of transaction with relatives or friends, or even friends or relatives of friends. That saying "No good deed goes unpunished"? That.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Reader's Digest version. Wifey's best friend's husband won $$ in Vegas and approached me about selling him a guitar. He ended up buying two. When he asked how much for both I shot him a price, and he bought them. His wife, and now my wife, thinks I took advantage of him.

I don't really need the money right now, and I am enjoying having thinned the heard a bit, but should I make the offer to take them back or just wait and see if it blows over?
I see things worked out, but learn this lessen well: NEVER sell to relatives or friends. Period. Don't do it. If someone close to me likes something of mine and makes and offer, I politely steer them away from the idea. I don't have many friends, or relatives, so I don't want to lose what I have.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...His wife, and now my wife, thinks I took advantage of him. ...

Do they have a better idea on the value of the transaction than the person buying the items or the person selling the items?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Do they have a better idea on the value of the transaction than the person buying the items or the person selling the items?
Well... To a lot of people, anything over $500 for a guitar must be a ripoff.

It's similar for every hobby. Outsiders don't understand why specialty items are expensive. Like $800 skis or a super dooper tennis racket.

We just happen to be lucky and have the best hobby. [emoji3]
Old 10-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Glad it worked out.

I am not sure about the actual chain of events involved in your situation, but to me there is a remaining issue in that your wife essentially sided with her best friend against you based on her friends opinion - without first discussing it with you.

Even at the risk of causing friction, I myself would need to have a conversation with my wife explaining to her how she put me in an awkward situation that I did not appreciate, and request she not do so in the future.

Just my opinion.
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault
Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 PM

Do the women involved know much about the value of guitars? If they are uninformed, they will not understand spending thousands on a single guitar.

As many have already said, it was an agreement between the gents. Now it's ok if an argument arises between the couples, but it's silly to have one wife to tell the other's wife a sob story to change the deal.

As far as I see it, you, the seller, got what you asked for and the buyer also got what he paid for.
Stand your ground, you shouldn't give in just to please others.

Edit: Looks like it was solved. You gave more than a fair price for it.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:11 PM

If they think it's an issue now, wait til they go back to Vegas and lose a bunch of $$... Oh boy.

Only you know if you ripped him off. But even if you did, it's not your problem. It's theirs.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:28 PM

First:
Quote:
...my wife (Vicki), thinks I took advantage of him.
Second:
Quote:
Love and marriage...
Old 10-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_214ce View Post
I am not sure about the actual chain of events involved in your situation, but to me there is a remaining issue in that your wife essentially sided with her best friend against you based on her friends opinion - without first discussing it with you.

Even at the risk of causing friction, I myself would need to have a conversation with my wife explaining to her how she put me in an awkward situation that I did not appreciate, and request she not do so in the future.

Just my opinion.
And a good opinion it is. Truth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic