The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Default martin HD 28v advice

Hey everyone ....posted a thread few days ago about martin d35 vs d41...Once again I am getting back into acoustic playing again LOVING the martin sound...searching for a great all around guitar...played a couple of hd28v yesterday in Guitar center union square manhattan....fabulous sounding one old strings High action another outta the box LITERALLY taken out for me new strings and also pretty great...Both at around 3700....QUESTIONS all the hd28v
owners players...are they consistent?? meaning if I get a deal across the country or slightly used do they have the same or similar sound?? Do you guys still love the guitar after owning playing for a while? Any information about this guitar would be greatly appreciated...I currently do not own an acoustic just a great old fender strat. So This would be for fingerstyle strumming all kinds of music.....THANKS EVERYBODY
Chris Rocco
Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

sorry I forgot to mention I found the hd28v to be exceptionally balanced and powerful comparing to the d35..more bassy and the d41 very bright lol both in appearance and and sound....Sorry I am new at the forum thing just wanted some input from Martin hd 28v owners....any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM

You should be able to negotiate that price - I looked at two Martins 11 months ago, one HD-28 and one D-28V. Both were new - didn't have the end strap pins installed yet. Both were offered for less than $2800 - the HD-28 was a little less than $2500. No electronics in them - that means a few $, and might be the difference in what you're looking at.

I almost bought the HD-28, but left it there..... it was a great guitar, but I didn't want another dread at that point.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Give a few of the AGF sponsors a call. You should be able to find what you want for ~60% of the price posted on Martin's site. I've purchased a new Martin and new Taylor from LA Guitar sales and Shoreline - Ted and Jon both inspected them for me before shipping and I couldn't be happier with either experience. I will only buy new guitars from AGF sponsors and think their attention to detail on the actual guitar you are getting eliminates the issue of having to play multiple models of the same guitar to find "the one". If you pick the model you want after playing a few, give them a call and pull the trigger - you'll be happy with the model they send you.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
....QUESTIONS all the hd28v
owners players...are they consistent?? meaning if I get a deal across the country or slightly used do they have the same or similar sound??
Chris,

For the most part, each guitar in an identical model will have certain similar characteristics, but no two guitars will sound identical. Some of the same model may sound radically different from each other.

If buying used, unless you can have a trial period with the option of returning it for full refund, I suggest you not buy sight unseen. There are a couple used ones out there, two in Chicago that I see and one in Ohio. Any chance you could check these out? https://reverb.com/p/martin-hd-28v-d...coustic-guitar

If buying new and sight unseen, as others have suggested, there are a number of forum sponsors that are very knowledgeable and helpful. They have reputations to maintain here and will steer you in the right direction. If you're paying up for a brand new guitar they won't sell you a dog and will make sure it's right going out the door. If you're inexperienced then you can take advantage of their experience as they deal with this stuff every day.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ballantyne View Post
You should be able to negotiate that price - I looked at two Martins 11 months ago, one HD-28 and one D-28V. Both were new - didn't have the end strap pins installed yet. Both were offered for less than $2800 - the HD-28 was a little less than $2500. No electronics in them - that means a few $, and might be the difference in what you're looking at.

I almost bought the HD-28, but left it there..... it was a great guitar, but I didn't want another dread at that point.
hmnn very kool thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM

Jon at My Favorite Guitars has 3 in stock. Call him and he'll clearly describe the ones he has. He usually has sound clips of his guitars as well. You'll likely save +/- $800 ish.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I think the HD-28V is one of the more consistent models Martin builds. If I could only have one Martin dread that would be the one. As previously mentioned, our forum sponsors can help you get one new for around $2800. And if for some unlikely reason you aren't happy with it you can send it back but you will pay for the shipping both ways.
FYI: Jon @ MFG has one in stock!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Chris,

For the most part, each guitar in an identical model will have certain similar characteristics, but no two guitars will sound identical. Some of the same model may sound radically different from each other.

If buying used, unless you can have a trial period with the option of returning it for full refund, I suggest you not buy sight unseen. There are a couple used ones out there, two in Chicago that I see and one in Ohio. Any chance you could check these out? https://reverb.com/p/martin-hd-28v-d...coustic-guitar

If buying new and sight unseen, as others have suggested, there are a number of forum sponsors that are very knowledgeable and helpful. They have reputations to maintain here and will steer you in the right direction. If you're paying up for a brand new guitar they won't sell you a dog and will make sure it's right going out the door. If you're inexperienced then you can take advantage of their experience as they deal with this stuff every day.

Good luck.
very much appreciated! thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I think the HD-28V is one of the more consistent models Martin builds. If I could only have one Martin dread that would be the one. As previously mentioned, our forum sponsors can help you get one new for around $2800. And if for some unlikely reason you aren't happy with it you can send it back but you will pay for the shipping both ways.
FYI: Jon @ MFG has one in stock!
thanks Jim...I never heard of Jon or his shop but omg just checked his website he has some amazing gear...impressive
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 AM

I bought a new 2017 HD-28v a couple months ago from Wildwood Music. It is my favorite for both neck profile and tone. I have not played any other HD-28v ones other than mine but was told by those in the know that they have never ran across a bad one of this model. You should pay between $2800.00 to $2900.00 at the most new for these.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Guys another question....I noticed Jon on MFG has hd28v with Adirondack tops.....what does that do exactly ? volume? warmth...or brighter? etc...thank you...he also has one with a vts top...any opinions on these more pricey 28s?
thanks again....Im getting close haha
Chris
Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Best to call and ask Jon about the tone differences. You will get many different opinions here but every guitar can sound different with even the same woods. I went thru the same thing before buying mine on weather to buy one with a adrondack top or not but after much research decided that the price difference was not worth it.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 AM

I owned a bunch of Martin dreads in the past and the HD-28V was one of my favorites because IMO it's the least like it's cousins, a unique smokey vintage voice that I loved. The skinny 1-11/16" nut didn't work for me but that's personal preference, loved the tone.

An Adi top will be punchier, not as warm, but won't drastically change the voice, maybe favor flatpicking a little more where the Sitka is more fingerstlye friendly, but we're almost in nitpick territory. Every Martin I own has different tonewoods and they all still sound like Martins.

A "well bought" HD-28V is a fine instrument, if the nut/neck profile work for you, pick one of our sponsors and they'll take care of the "well bought" part.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

thanks guys....yeah Irecently played an om28 marquis adi top and it was just bright and glassy not much warmth....interesting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion