The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Guest 1928

Mid 1940's for Martin, but even then they were shallow slots and the bridge were still slotted at least partially. In some cases they were slotted enough that solid pins will fit with just minor adjustments. That continued until the 1980's.

Martin uses solid pins and slotted bridges on Authentics now. I believe Collings uses solid pins on everything, but I am not 100% sure about the Waterloos.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Mine may be a minority view, but I'll say it and it can be disregarded. That guitar was made with slotted pins assumed, and need not and should not have the kind of slots others describe because the basic setup and function is different. There might be a tad of a slot in the plate to avoid binding, but there should not be a serious slot like those pictured. You wouldn't even need pins in that guitar! The slotting is a hack job, and I cannot believe the manufacturer would do something so basic so poorly. The slots are off-center in some spots, and are rough and ragged. I would not widen them further! I would be tempted to do a godawful fill with ebony dust and, gak, epoxy and recut some proper ramps/slots. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like an ill-conceived and poorly executed job for a purpose I cannot quite imaging. It may have just been way overdone. Sorry.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Mine may be a minority view, but I'll say it and it can be disregarded. That guitar was made with slotted pins assumed, and need not and should not have the kind of slots others describe because the basic setup and function is different. There might be a tad of a slot in the plate to avoid binding, but there should not be a serious slot like those pictured. You wouldn't even need pins in that guitar! The slotting is a hack job, and I cannot believe the manufacturer would do something so basic so poorly. The slots are off-center in some spots, and are rough and ragged. I would not widen them further! I would be tempted to do a godawful fill with ebony dust and, gak, epoxy and recut some proper ramps/slots. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like an ill-conceived and poorly executed job for a purpose I cannot quite imaging. It may have just been way overdone. Sorry.
Yeah, I agree. Ultimately though, it doesn't affect the way the guitar sounds or plays...just looks funky. I ordered some fine grit diamond files and will touch these up...maybe center some of these. The only problem is with the low-e ball-end swage getting jammed in that slot...may have to widen that one so it doesn't jam. I'm also going to order some nice-looking un-slotted pins from Colosi.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-09-2017, 06:47 AM

I just dealt with a third hand guitar with ramped/slotted pin holes, which on three were like yours, two partially started in the same vein, and the #1 hole overdone to an extreme. I'm glad that I'm not an FBI profiler and have to get into the mind of a serial hackjobber. Thanks be to a decent pin supply and the proper reamer.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Yes -- the solid pins should work well, and if you're reasonably lucky, the depth of the slots and ramps will not be too excessive. Though it looks to me to be overdone, it may not be fatally overdone. God luck. Hope it all works out.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Has this guitar been to OP's favorite luthier for a firsthand inspection by someone who can cast an expert's eye on the instrument? My opinion is that forums like this can take on some of the aspects of soup-by-committee and no one here has looked at it in person. And my reaction is that 'excellent condition' implies no attention that doesn't look like professional maintenance/upgrading. I hope OP is not holding an instrument with compromised value.

Perhaps there is an escape clause somewhere in the agreement between the OP and the seller about hidden damage? The guitar seems to me to be host to hidden conditions that if OP had known about or seen them upfront the guitar wouldn't have been bought.

One person's opinions...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair