The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes the music was something funny how some things are uniquely universal

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.Charles Dickens

I refused the draft and did alternative service in the school bussing program and head start. No one ever thanked me for service, but then again I never expected any thanks as the doing was the reward.
Thank you for your service!!

I am grateful to everyone who has contributed to the goodness of this world and of safety and goodness of this nation. While those who risk their lives are completely deserving our thanks, others are also quite deserving.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Watched it all.

Thanks to all for their service. Chitz and I were the same year--meaning I had friends who went, but the luck of my birth year kept me out.

Burns' work is compelling. But it's a hard watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post

Is that one of those Vietnamese rip offs of an American design?

Looks like a Fender headstock, but I don't think they were using that on their acoustics back then.
https://youtu.be/UaMf6ydI-YI

The same guitar makes 2 appearances in this video. But there's other content that is graphic.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 PM

I only made it thru three episodes. Like many others on this forum, I lived that era in real time. Once was enough.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 PM

I was expecting something stunning and profound from Ken Burns. Something as groundbreaking as his Civil War series. I was disappointed. I found this one good, but certainly not great. I felt at times he definitely included some spin (and not in any one direction) that was significantly at odds with my memories from those years.

To those of you who served, those of us who didn't will never truly understand what you saw, what you did, and how it changed you. We can say our "Thank You's", but we all know that it's not even close to what you deserve from the rest of us.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM

I'm an Army Vet, 1969-1972...I remember going thru 3 MOS schools with the same 4 guys and we got close.. we had orders cut, and 2 of us were sent to Korea, and the other 3 to Nam...I didn't find out for years that all 3 of my friends were fortunate enough to make it back alive...

I tried to watch Burn's documentary and couldn't get thru it...it brought back memories of seeing Nam vets come back home and be jeered and spat on in public, and I know some guys personally who have never been the same since...what made it worse was seeing guys who had fled the country and otherwise avoided service being praised and patted on the back...

It still rubs me like 40 grit sandpaper, and I didn't like being reminded again of that reality...

One of my step sons is a Veteran, did time in the Sandbox, and I'm grateful that the environment today is different and that he gets treated with respect for his service...
Old 10-02-2017, 10:23 PM

So many wonderful and heartfelt responses to my post. I didn't think it would garner so many replies. When I saw that image of the serviceman playing the guitar I immediately thought of this forum. Don't know why really. But I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought of the documentary.

It is a very moving production. There were times I had to change the channel.

My personal story-
I received my draft notice at age 22 in 1967 but a tricky back problem caused me to be classified as 1Y. I believe that was a new classification at the time.
I wasn't sure if the gov't would reclassify me after the 1969 draft lottery went into effect, but alas, I never heard from them again.

My deepest respects for those of you who did serve in Vietnam.

Thanks to all who responded!

Russ
Old 10-02-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
As an active participate ('68-'69), I choose to not bring back those memories, especially with Mr. Burns' spin on them. I have Agent Orange to remind me every day and for the rest of my life.
My husband was there, '66 to '67, and he feels like you do, Skip. Won't watch it with me.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 10-02-2017, 11:22 PM

Is it still streaming??? I'm trying to watch episode 3 now and it's asking me to login to Pbs. Ugh.

First 2 episodes were free over the weekend.

It's very interesting and sad. And important to be reminded of with the 24/7 insanity over last couple of months in he USA.

I also think the Vietnamese culture is beautiful and the food is delicious and healthy. Pops with flavor. Mmmmmm fish sauce.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Thank you for your service!!

I am grateful to everyone who has contributed to the goodness of this world and of safety and goodness of this nation. While those who risk their lives are completely deserving our thanks, others are also quite deserving.
Thanks, but honestly I was not soliciting, it was more pointing to an observation that there are different perspectives and different means of implementation of service and patriotism

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-03-2017, 09:27 AM

First let me say, I was drafted a short time out of high school, even before they came out with the lottery system. Was put in a Armor division and sent to Germany.
I have always watched the docs. on the war and admired the guys who were there, and always wondered why I didn't have to go.
That being said I started watching the new one, and after the 3rd epi. I had to quit watching. I just felt guilty about not having to go. The truth is I hated the Army so much in Germany, but it was like a resort compared to being in Nam.
So my hats off to all the vets who were there, and thank you so much for your service.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thanks, but honestly I was not soliciting, it was more pointing to an observation that there are different perspectives and different means of implementation of service and patriotism
I know. I proabaly wouldn't have said anything if I had thought you were soliciting.

Your point was and is well taken: there are many forms of service, many forms of patriotism. While each person likely will have some for which they feel a greater affinity and/or respect, ideally, all would be recognized as having value.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I watched about 3 episodes of the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, but I found it was just depressing me. I had the same problem with his Civil War documentary. I could never finish that one, either.

I may go back later and try to pick it up again, but maybe not. For me, it's just too difficult to relive all that stuff again.

My wife even started asking me not to watch it anymore. She could see it was affecting me, just like it did in the past. Looking back on that time, I don't think I realized how much the Vietnam War defined our lives in the USA in the mid-60s and early 70s, and how much it colored our outlooks then and for years to come.

- Glenn
Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Default It is depressing

And, at least for me, necessary watching. Sounds trite, but in the spirit of "those who don't know their history are condemned to repeat it" I lap up history out of both fascination, and the possibility I might learn something that will keep me from making mistakes.

My dad volunteered for and went to Viet Nam, flying night missions on the AC-119 gunship, nicknamed Shadow. I intended to have nothing to do with Viet Nam, and the one year I was eligible for the draft, if memory serves I was #283. Pure chance allowed that to me.

I've always thought those who spoke of being jeered or worse upon their return was an isolated thing, as I never saw it, never heard of it then, and wouldn't have tolerated it, were it in my presence. Apparently it happened with some regularity, and not just outside Travis AFB.

Viet Nam was was one of the worst mistakes this nation has made in its history, but the soldiers who were yanked away from their lives and put into the awful situation there bear no blame. But they do bear the scars of what they were forced to do.

It's odd--my daughter's seen me cry exactly twice: once when I was moving away from my family for 5 months to get started in a job across the country, and once when I was trying to explain the Wall War Memorial in DC. I think it's some of the most brilliant, respectful art I've ever seen. And sure enough, when the Wall was highlighted in Burns' doc, I immediately got choked up.

These things aren't fun, but at least in my opinion, worth going through.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 10-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
Is it still streaming??? I'm trying to watch episode 3 now and it's asking me to login to Pbs. Ugh.

First 2 episodes were free over the weekend.

It's very interesting and sad. And important to be reminded of with the 24/7 insanity over last couple of months in he USA.

I also think the Vietnamese culture is beautiful and the food is delicious and healthy. Pops with flavor. Mmmmmm fish sauce.
I'm watching it streaming here.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/episodes/

No log in, commercials, subscription, collection of your personal info.
You can even select the broadcast version which has less violence and profanity, or the raw cut.
I'm up to episode 5.
I assume all episodes are there, but I've been wrong before.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:44 PM

I was too young to go. I graduated H.S. in '77. I grew up watching it on TV every night with my Dad, Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather.
I will eventually watch the documentary, but I've not been in much of a mood lately to relive those images. Maybe if we are reminded of the horror of war it will help us to try harder to avoid future wars...I'm not terribly optimistic though.

I will say one thing. The Vietnam war memorial in Washington DC is the most appropriate and moving memorial to war I've ever experienced. Every time I've visited that wall there are grown men weeping as they touch the name of a loved one carved into the polished black granite. When you stare at the names you see your own reflection staring back at you and for that instant you are in that wall with the ones that lost their lives. War affects all of us, even if we didn't fight. War changes the trajectory of history and touches all of our lives...some more directly than others.

I want to thank all of the Veterans of all the wars for their service and their sacrifice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic