The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Martin, out of curiosity, how was the top sanded/planed before the introduction of the Tru-Oil? I ask because of all the visible waviness wherever the light is reflecting off the top, but most visible between the saddle and bottom edge of the bass side of the guitar, as well as next to the neck on the bass side.
the waviness is bearclaw figure in the wood, nothing to do with the oil.

its sanded flat, really!!

this angle shows it off a little better under finish before the bridge was glued on.....

and this is it straight out of the packaging from Alaska.....

I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 AM

Martin,

That top is just crazy with bear claw! I'm guessing the photos just can't do it justice.

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Your Martin almost certainly has finish on it anyway. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it if it doesn't. But it does.

The Martin factory isn't going to ship a guitar to a retailer without finish on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Your Martin almost certainly has finish on it anyway. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it if it doesn't. But it does.

The Martin factory isn't going to ship a guitar to a retailer without finish on it.
Martin claims it is a "light satin finish", but I have confirmed with other XC1T owners that it does feel like nude furniture and it is the lease-finished Martin ever sold. Martin also told me that many owners will have a protective coat put on so the wood does not darken with grease and time. If you can find one of these to at a local guitar shop I recommended it so you can see for yourself what I am talking about.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:45 AM

Although you decided against the XC1T for your needs, I thought it would be good for forum members to hear my experiences with my XC1T top.

I purchased an XC1T 3 months ago. I looked at and played about 8 or 10 of the same model within 150 miles (i'll post a review elsewhere about the surprisingly broad tonal differences). What I can confirm is that all had the exact same top finish. Yes, it looks unfinished however there is a Martin satin finish.

I too also wished it was darker and began to think about ways to alter the appearance (short of waiting 20 years or so).

Over a few months I got more used to it and then it began to show some soiling coloration on the top where one's forearm makes contact. I spoke to a technical representative at Martin for advice on cleaning. They recommended a product called "Spray Nine" (sold at Home Depot here on the East Coast). She instructed me to spray on a clean cotton rag and not directly on the guitar. This did work pretty well and then...

The representative suggested to apply a light coat of "Johnson's Paste Wax" (the stuff in a tin from the old days) to protect it from future soiling. This immediately darkened the guitar enough to loose that whiteish look of the brand new XC1Ts. It also brought out some of the figuring. There is now a more "reflective" surface however certainly not gloss. I'd say it is now closer to 15 series satin. I'd say the coloring is equal to most new martin spruce tops. A very small amount is all you need. The rep. said you can do the neck this as well however I decided to wait on this.

I purchased my XC1T to travel with and leave out of its case all the time. Something I am hesitant to do with my OMJM (I happened to find a deep and sweet sounding XC1T and had it set-up exactly as my OMJM). I'm sure the spruce will continue to progressively darken over time. Perhaps a bit faster being left out of the case.

Last edited by ctmarc; 03-29-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmarc View Post
Although you decided against the XC1T for your needs, I thought it would be good for forum members to hear my experiences with my XC1T top.

I purchased an XC1T 3 months ago. I looked at and played about 8 or 10 of the same model within 150 miles (i'll post a review elsewhere about the surprisingly broad tonal differences). What I can confirm is that all had the exact same top finish. Yes, it looks unfinished however there is a Martin satin finish.

I too also wished it was darker and began to think about ways to alter the appearance (short of waiting 20 years or so).

Over a few months I got more used to it and then it began to show some soiling coloration on the top where one's forearm makes contact. I spoke to a technical representative at Martin for advice on cleaning. They recommended a product called "Spray Nine" (sold at Home Depot here on the East Coast). She instructed me to spray on a clean cotton rag and not directly on the guitar. This did work pretty well and then...

The representative suggested to apply a light coat of "Johnson's Paste Wax" (the stuff in a tin from the old days) to protect it from future soiling. This immediately darkened the guitar enough to loose that whiteish look of the brand new XC1Ts. It also brought out some of the figuring. There is now a more "reflective" surface however certainly not gloss. I'd say it is now closer to 15 series satin. I'd say the coloring is equal to most new martin spruce tops. A very small amount is all you need. The rep. said you can do the neck this as well however I decided to wait on this.

I purchased my XC1T to travel with and leave out of its case all the time. Something I am hesitant to do with my OMJM (I happened to find a deep and sweet sounding XC1T and had it set-up exactly as my OMJM). I'm sure the spruce will continue to progressively darken over time. Perhaps a bit faster being left out of the case.
Awesome insight there, thank you. I ended up changing my mind (yet again) and I got the Washburn D46SEC (the new one with quilted Ash and the IQ System)...video here (sounds great!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChrmT2MrgtY

At any rate, that stuff that Martin recommended is good, but after a while of playing it will cause a much shinier spot on the guitar where your arms rests, while everywhere else will be the 'old' shinyness. My consensus, with this guitar, is that it must be professionally finished (refinished) in order to avoid any of these kinds of problems. The stain of your choice+nitro finish is around $250-$300, placing this guitar at $1,050-$1,100 when all said and done and I just did not want to spend that much.

At any rate, thanks for the info, because I might buy one in the future (that is, if the price comes down, since I have yet to find a Martin that sounds as good as a Taylor that is $500-$1000 less).
Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Oh...my...gosh....

Guys, seriously. I am a long time Taylor guitar player (700 series and up), and I cannot say enough about this Washburn D46 guitar with the IQ system. No - I do NOT work for Washburn, nor am I being compensated for this post...this guitar is easily worth 3 or 4 times what I paid, and sounds better to me than the 800/900 series Taylor. So glad I went with this over the XC1T. Now, while it hands down crushes any Martin I have ever played, it does not quite beat out the Taylor 714ce, but only by a fraction of a point in my view. Cedar will always sound better than Spruce in my opinion, no matter where the Spruce is from or who made the guitar with it, so the 714ce wins out there with the cedar, but this D46SCE is truly amazing, and I feel like I stole it for the price ($700).

Ok, off my soap box now.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 AM

Default I ASSUME

I Assume you are referring to a Martin X series guitar I know nothing about . I have 2 X Series . TOPS White as ghosts . After Days of reading . Ive come to the conclusion , the Tops does have a very very light coat of protect spraywhich has to be sanded off... Next is to rub in TINTED Shade of your choice of BRIWAX . It is NOT A Liquid ( which I want to STAY AWAY FROM , ESPECIALLY ANY OIL ) . This is the Thinnest ( Best Re-soundproducing ) Top Color change I can think of without going Lacquer crazy . Alot of Hand Rubbing in Same grain direction .. Alot of info on the net , Easiest also . Nice Sheen almost gloss and much darker when done . Say $25 and alot of rubbing ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair