The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Yes in my opinion it does make a difference playing a higher quality guitar as opposed to a less expensive one. Take your time save up some money and find a guitar that inspires you. One that when you hear it for the first time it just GRABS you. They are out there and everyone will be different for different ears of course. you will be happier for it and you will find yourself playing more...and better I bet. Enjoy the hunt!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:24 PM

Smile

I am the OP. I have been playing electric guitars for 12 years. I just started playing acoustics. My electric guitars have slowly got more expensive with each purchase. I just purchased a Larrivee OM-50E. The tone is beautiful. The richness, complexity and depth of tone is beyond description. It is a real looked as well! My S&P Woodland Pro Folk is a wonderful guitar, but the Larrivee is much better in all respects.

In my limited experience with electrics and acoustic guitars, I have found that the quality difference between less expensive and more expensive is greater for acoustics than electrics.

To answer my own question... Yes there is a difference!
Old 11-25-2017, 02:06 AM

When I first played the McCollum I now own, I was having a Goodall set up at a nearby music store. I knew immediately that the McCollum was the best guitar I'd ever played.
On the 2 1/2 hr. drive home I couldn't stop thinking about the McCollum. At this point I owned two Goodalls and hardly "needed" another guitar, but this one spoke to me like no other.
I immediately called the store when I returned and arranged a trade for the McCollum. That was 4 years ago, the other Goodall is gone and I have the last and only acoustic guitar I'll ever own.
I shudder to think how tormented I'd have been had I not acted on my instinct, honed from 40+ years of looking for the "one".
It happens.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-25-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Need has nothing to do with it. If it brings you joy it is money well spent. And it is a Gibson
as long as your kids aren't being forced to eat dog food just so you can scratch your guitar itch!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion