The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Tree Recycling

I had kind of a cool opportunity come up.

We had a bit of storm damage when the remains of the hurricane went through North Georgia last month. Among the victims was an old pear tree. Pear trees have a reputation for splitting and falling limbs, and this tree was well past it's prime so it was time to come down. It's surprising that it hasn't fallen before this point to be honest.

I've done a bit of woodworking, and pear is a beautiful wood.

There is a local guitar builder, Deadwood Guitars, who makes guitars from salvaged woods, mostly of local origin.

https://www.deadwoodguitarcompany.com/home

I contacted them and asked if they would be interested in the larger sections of the tree, the base being about 2 feet in diameter. They said that they would be delighted to have it and see what they can salvage for guitar sets.

The tree folks came today and took the trees down, but agreed to leave two sections of trunk each about 5 feet in length. That should give Deadwood a good amount of material to work from.

It feels good to know that it's going to be used that way instead of just chipped into a mulch pile. Cant wait to see what he's able to do with the wood.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Any chance you will be able to post photos of whatever Deadwood are able to put it towards? Would be really interested to see the results

I don't suppose there's any chance it is Sapient Pearwood, is there?
(Terry Pratchett reference.... )
Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Deadwood Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspur View Post
........I don't suppose there's any chance it is Sapient Pearwood, is there?(Terry Pratchett reference.... )
Ah yes, it would have magical overtones, wouldn't it?

Yes, I was going to see about posting pix, but who knows when the next hosting site is going to pull the rug out from under us?

I don't know about his aging process, plus build time. I'll discuss that with him when he picks the wood up. I plan to either link pix or a link to his website when it's finished.

In the meantime, I did see a review in one of the guitars mags last time I was in the local book store. I'll have to stop by again and see which one and I'll post it here.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Very cool.

I built my first guitar out of cherry wood that was from a tree in the luthier's yard. It got knocked down by a tropical storm. He was able to get several guitar sets out of it.

Historically - pear wood has been a traditional European wood for fretboards and bridges. Its generally a hard wood with very few open pores. The tradition was to ebonize it. Turns out that most of Strad's original bridges and fingerboards were ebonized pear... And it was used on millions of American made guitars for this duty as well..

Just a warning... If they can do something with it - it will be 3-5 years after sawing it before they can use the wood.... It takes time to season, stabilize, and age to become useful... That's assuming its good clear wood without knots and other problem features...
Old 10-18-2017, 03:09 PM

This is great. I love recycling and using materials that might have otherwise been discarded to go into making something wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The tree folks came today and took the trees down, but agreed to leave two sections of trunk each about 5 feet in length. That should give Deadwood a good amount of material to work from.
Shouldn't that read 'a pear of sections'?

YouTube
Old 10-18-2017, 05:35 PM

Default Pear

Bruce Sexauer has built a couple of outstanding guitar from pear. Not a blow-your-socks-off thing for its looks, but the one I played still haunts me as it was outstanding in every way that is important. Bernie Lehman has also made one that I have played.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM

Good job getting that wood out to use.

I really like what Deadwood is doing, with native & reclaimed woods...but I can not stand the offset sound hole on some of their guitars. Glad to see they do a central hole on their 78 series.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:15 PM

IIRC, Lowden has used pear wood fairly often as binding on their guitars. I don't recall seeing that they have used it as a tone wood, however.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 AM

Great story and great project.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion