The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post

I definitely notice the fretboard is flatter/less radiused than the Taylors I'm used to. I understand Taylor uses a 16" radius while RS uses a pretty unconventional and large 20" radius. After playing it for a week or so now, I don't mind it. In fact, I'm able to swap back and forth from Taylor to RS and barely notice it at all anymore.

The neck/fretboard feels a bit wider overall than my Taylors, as well. I didn't notice it until I played a D/F#

where it was a longer thumb reach than with my Taylor. Capoing the 5th fret and getting my thumb onto the 6th string is a challenge I'm currently barely able to manage with the RS, while it's not an issue with my Taylor.

Speaking of reaching the thumb around to get onto the the 5th or 6th string, and what is my main criticism of the entire guitar, are the sharp corners on the edges of the fretboard. That D/F# thumb wraparound jams my thumb into the corner of the fretboard, and the sharpness is a bummer. Someday when this guitar gets refretted, I'll definitely have the luthier radius these corners.

Speaking of sharp edges, the frets themselves could have been filed slightly better. If you run your finger along either the top or bottom edges of the fretboard to feel the ends of the fretwire, they are a little sharp. It's really not an issue as much as me being very, very critical and going out of my way to find "flaws", but in fairness, my Taylors don't exhibit this.

My last comment about the neck is regarding the N2 profile. I like it! After reading a lot of comments regarding the N2, I was concerned - but it's really no issue at all. In fact, it doesn't feel any more "full" or thick to me than my Taylor. My hands don't feel crampy or fatigued, even with barre chords. To qualify all this, I'm 6'2" and when I open my hand as wide as possible, I have a 9" span from tip of thumb to tip of pinky - so I've got relatively large hands. I have no idea what I'd think of the N2 if I had smaller hands.
Very good and accurate review in all respects I feel. It’s interesting I’ve never seen anyone else measure there finger span here? Mine was just slightly shorter than 9”. You say the Rainsong neck seemed wider than your 810? They are both 1 3/4, to me you are feeling the increase thickness of the profile? It makes that thumb wrap around more of a challenge. And that excentuates the sharpness of the edges.

Like you the lightness of the Rainsongs never ceases to amaze me!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber