The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-30-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Effects pedal for my birthday

So my birthday is coming up and I'm 'allowed' to get an effects pedal for around $100. I already have a Zoom G3X, an acoustic pedal board with: tuner, chorus, reverb, boost, echo and my main pedal board that has:
POG nano
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR distortion
LR Baggs Para DI
ART MP tube pre
Boss TU-3
Boss Chorus
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr
TC Electronic Arena Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy
TC Electronic Ditto

Additionally I own a broken Behringer chorus pedal and a working Behringer Reverb Machine.

I would like a better delay (echo) pedal [considering an Electro Harmonix Canyon] for my little acoustic rig [currently Mooer Baby Water Chorus, which I like but it sometimes glitches], or maybe another looper.

I don't have any overdrive pedals. I have had a Vox Trike Fuzz and quickly realized I'm not a fan of fuzz pedals for my playing style. I mainly play contemporary worship music and/or some folk music and some classic rock from time to time.

Open to suggestions...
Thanks.
A5R
SLG100S
Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
...I mainly play contemporary worship music and/or some folk music and some classic rock from time to time.

Open to suggestions...
Long-time P&W/CCM musician and former worship leader (who has also been known to cross over to the "dark side" with some '50s/60s R&R/R&B and traditional/neo-trad/Celtic folk) weighing in here:

Collect the cash, see what you can sell/trade without sacrificing anything essential, look for a coupon sale at your friendly local big-box store, and put the proceeds toward a good analog amp (tube or solid-state - your choice). I used to play services using nothing but guitar-cable-amp (size of the latter varying according to house size) and a Cool Cat trem pedal (for those amps that didn't have built-in trem), knowing my equipment well enough that I could get just about any sound I needed with touch, technique, and built-in controls alone (having come of age in the early/mid-60's this was the sole available option at the time - over the years I never got into anything too heavy/processed, and from what you state your tastes are similar); try it at home for a while before you take it to a rehearsal - with a little practice you might be surprised at just how much outboard stuff you really don't need, and how much more of your tone comes through in the mix...
Old 09-30-2017, 08:28 PM

The coolest pedal I bought in a long time is the Digitech Trio +, it adds a bass and drum track to your guitar playing, also has a loop feature built in.....check out the demo's on You Tube if interested. I know it costs more that $100, but it's worth saving up for....
2015 Pono DS-20
2017 Taylor GS mini Bass
2017 Gretsch G5438T Pro Jet w/ Bigsby
2016 Gretsch G5420T Hollowbody w Bigsby
2017 Gretsch G5422G-12 12 string Hollowbody
2003 Fender Telecaster
2002 Fender Stratocaster
1992 Fender Stratocaster Wayne's World LE
Old 09-30-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
So my birthday is coming up and I'm 'allowed' to get an effects pedal for around $100. I already have a Zoom G3X, an acoustic pedal board with: tuner, chorus, reverb, boost, echo and my main pedal board that has:

POG nano

MXR Dyna Comp

MXR distortion

LR Baggs Para DI

ART MP tube pre

Boss TU-3

Boss Chorus

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr

TC Electronic Arena Reverb

MXR Carbon Copy

TC Electronic Ditto

Additionally I own a broken Behringer chorus pedal and a working Behringer Reverb Machine.

I would like a better delay (echo) pedal [considering an Electro Harmonix Canyon] for my little acoustic rig [currently Mooer Baby Water Chorus, which I like but it sometimes glitches], or maybe another looper.

I don't have any overdrive pedals. I have had a Vox Trike Fuzz and quickly realized I'm not a fan of fuzz pedals for my playing style. I mainly play contemporary worship music and/or some folk music and some classic rock from time to time.

Open to suggestions...

Thanks.

Get a Zendrive! Either the 1 or 2 (ok get the 2 since it has a tube inside!), best overdrive pedal Iíve ever heard.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
The coolest pedal I bought in a long time is the Digitech Trio +, it adds a bass and drum track to your guitar playing, also has a loop feature built in.....check out the demo's on You Tube if interested. I know it costs more that $100, but it's worth saving up for....
You piqued my interest. I just got the standard Trio, comes with a free foot switch, for $99 from Sweetwater.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
You piqued my interest. I just got the standard Trio, comes with a free foot switch, for $99 from Sweetwater.
Hope you like it....I love mine,,,, here's a quick loop I made with mine in about 5 minutes....

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/trio-test
2015 Pono DS-20
2017 Taylor GS mini Bass
2017 Gretsch G5438T Pro Jet w/ Bigsby
2016 Gretsch G5420T Hollowbody w Bigsby
2017 Gretsch G5422G-12 12 string Hollowbody
2003 Fender Telecaster
2002 Fender Stratocaster
1992 Fender Stratocaster Wayne's World LE
Old 10-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Steve, I have the Bugera Infinium V22 and have upgraded the tubes, so I can check that box for the amp.

Martin Maniac, I actually was eye-balling the Band Creator Trio. My local GC has a used one for $79.

1neeto, as for the Zendrive, it's a little beyond my budget and my ART MP tube pre does a nice job of giving me overdrive sounds when plugged direct into a pa if I max out the gain knobs. But that does give me an idea, I have yet to change the tube in it, so maybe I'll grab a couple tubes.

I actually have two of those ART units, one for my wife's vocals and the one on my pedal board.

I'm leaning toward the Canyon Delay. I think in the main place I play I could get by with my acoustic and just that pedal. I'm trying to clean up my stage space as our group size has recently grown.
A5R
SLG100S
Old 10-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Martin Maniac, I actually was eye-balling the Band Creator Trio. My local GC has a used one for $79.

Get it from Sweetwater for $99- it comes with the foot switch. GC also has the same deal, but it wasn't in stock locally.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:44 PM

I love delay, and after drooling over demo videos, I pulled the trigger on the Canyon. I believe it's a one pedal fits most for me, especially minimizing my play area space. Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe Santa will bring me the Trio and some new 12ax7's.
A5R
SLG100S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars