The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 PM

Default Live recording advice

Hi everybody! I am new to the forums and want to ask some advice about live recordings. Although I mostly perform solo with my Taylor 816, mandolin, and vocals, I also perform with a full band of mixed electric & acoustic instruments, and occasionally as a duo with a cajon drummer/backing vocalist.

I'm new to rigging up sound and ignorant (but trying to learn) the basics with PA's and mixers.

I own a Fishman Loudbox Performer and Zoom H4n and have used the Fishman as a monitor when there's a house PA, or as my main speaker in small venues.

For recording while using the Fishman as my main speaker, I used the XLR DI outputs to go into channel 1 and 2 of the zoom to record vocals and instruments individually. With the Zoom on a tripod off stage, I can also capture "live" audio through the built in mics, and capturing video on a Canon 70D. Later, I mix the audio and sync with video in Garage Band and iMovie.

When using the house PA, the best I can figure out is to get the combined audio from a monitor output on the PA, and mixing it with the Zoom's mics. This has been less desirable since I can't adjust vocals and instrument levels independently.

I have decided to pick up a Line 6 L3t to gig with, and want to add a nice mixer that will cover my bases whether playing with a full band or just solo. Ideally, I'd like to use the Zoom to record 2 separate channels from the mixer like I'm able to do with my Fishman. I like the A&H ZED-12FX and think I could route my vocals to aux 1 and instrument to aux 2 to accomplish that.

I know there's a lot of info here! Please tell me if I'm on the right track with this. I know that's a lot of mixer for when I'm performing solo, but it will also be used in a full band scenario too. If I'm over thinking things or there's better recommendations to accomplish what I'm trying to do, please tell me!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 PM

A mixer that size is what I would have recommended. I think you're on the right track.

Jim
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 AM

The ZED solution works for your solo gigs. For a band you will be looking at the Digital QU series - at a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 AM

For your full band you might look at a Behringer X Air digital mixers. Something like the X Air XR18 would give you 16 channels for live sound AND an 18 x 18 USB interface. The multichannel USB interface would allow you to record each instrument/vocal on a separate track for later mixing. If you already have a tablet (for mixing) and a notebook/laptop (for recording) then it may be a workable solution for just a bit more than a ZED 12FX.

There was a recent discussion of these digital mixers here on the AGF...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

A mixer with preamp outputs on all channels is ideal. I recorded my friend's duo last weekend with my Tascam DP-24SD. They mix their live sound with a Bose T1 mixer. I recorded Vox 1, Vox 2 and Gtr 1 from the T1 preamp outputs, direct to Tascam channels 1-3. Then I sent Gtr 2 to the Aux output of their T1 and recorded it direct to channel 4. I added a condenser mic in Tascam channel 5 to capture some room sound, and mixed it all in Garageband the next day. As long as you can access preamp outs, you'll have the most flexibility and you won't disturb the live sound at all.

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I'm looking into them! After some thought, I should probably concentrate more on my solo and duo needs as my band has a larger PA already for their use. Looking forward to your further thoughts and suggestions!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I recorded my friend's duo last weekend with my Tascam DP-24SD
Wow, I love the quality of your recording! So if I understand right, the Tascam is designed more for recording than gigging with as a live mixer? I am primarily looking for a live mixer with capabilities to pull at least 2-3 separate channels from to record the occasional YouTube video. How well would this perform in that setting?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
For your full band you might look at a Behringer X Air digital mixers.

There was a recent discussion of these digital mixers here on the AGF...

Phil
Thanks for the recommendation. I like how compact and sleek this thing is, but I'm intimidated by sole control from a iPad or computer. I think I'm more of a hands on person more comfortable with everything physically laid out instead of scrolling and manipulating virtual controls. I'm sure I could get past this with practice...
Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 AM

Been pondering this mixer for myself. It might be just what you need if you don't want to rely on a tablet for controlling a digital mixer. The Ghost pres in this unit are sound incredible.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...T4YaApzs8P8HAQ
Old 04-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerod View Post
Been pondering this mixer for myself. It might be just what you need if you don't want to rely on a tablet for controlling a digital mixer. The Ghost pres in this unit are sound incredible.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...T4YaApzs8P8HAQ
Now that is an impressive mixer and indeed if the pres are the ones the used in their bigger console units then they would fall into the category of the start of the high end range of mic pres. Then couple that with the ability to come straight off mixer into a DAW via USB with up to 14 channels which would allow the full band situation to be tracked each to their own individual track straight into the DAW to be mixed for the recording ( the way professional live mixes are done) Thus allowing you to kill that signal on the video camera mic's which for "room" mic'ing is allways marginal at best and usually a detriment to the sound.

The one thing the Sweetwater blurb did not specify, if the USB signal is pre or post fader/FX . which something I would interested in

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyk View Post
Wow, I love the quality of your recording! So if I understand right, the Tascam is designed more for recording than gigging with as a live mixer? I am primarily looking for a live mixer with capabilities to pull at least 2-3 separate channels from to record the occasional YouTube video. How well would this perform in that setting?
Thanks! The Tascam DP-24SD is a recorder, and not a mixer at all. It's designed strictly for recording and not as a gig mixer. This will capture 8 live channels via XLR or 1/4" from a mixer that you already have. It performs very well as an add-on to a mixer. It won't perform the job alone, at all, as it won't replace a mixer. HTH
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Now that is an impressive mixer and indeed if the pres are the ones the used in their bigger console units then they would fall into the category of the start of the high end range of mic pres. Then couple that with the ability to come straight off mixer into a DAW via USB with up to 14 channels which would allow the full band situation to be tracked each to their own individual track straight into the DAW to be mixed for the recording ( the way professional live mixes are done) Thus allowing you to kill that signal on the video camera mic's which for "room" mic'ing is allways marginal at best and usually a detriment to the sound.

The one thing the Sweetwater blurb did not specify, if the USB signal is pre or post fader/FX . which something I would interested in
From the owner's manual, "Console channels always send their post-gain, pre-EQ signal to their respective USB channel to be picked up and recorded by the PC/MAC Via USB."

Very cool.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 04-20-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
From the owner's manual, "Console channels always send their post-gain, pre-EQ signal to their respective USB channel to be picked up and recorded by the PC/MAC Via USB."

Very cool.
Thanks for the info , yes very cool

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-20-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM

That is a very interesting mixer for the price. I wonder if it needs drivers for Mac OS-X or whether it would just work according to the OS-X USB audio standards. I only mention this as sometimes products are let down by the quality of the driver software.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
That is a very interesting mixer for the price. I wonder if it needs drivers for Mac OS-X or whether it would just work according to the OS-X USB audio standards. I only mention this as sometimes products are let down by the quality of the driver software.
From the owners manual that MaurysMusic linked

For PCs, Soundcraft multichannel USB ASIO/WDM drivers are required (available for download on the Soundcraft
website) and are used to adjust settings such as buffer depth and streaming mode. MAC® computers do not
require these drivers as the Signature MTK USB audio interface uses Apple® Core Audio drivers.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD