The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Default "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen (cover)

This is my cover of Leonard Cohen's well known song, "Hallelujah." Roger Blair asked me on my recent "Suzanne" thread here if I covered "Hallelujah" and I responded that I would give it a try.

So here it is.

I know this song is overdone, but I realized in learning the song that there is something to this song that is appealing to people. Jeff Buckley's version of this song has almost 100 million views on YouTube. To me, that is incredible, and it does show that for whatever reason, this song appeals to people. At a recent family reunion about 4 or 5 of my grand nieces were playing and singing this song on their ukes, so I played it for them on my Voyage-Air guitar. They asked me to sing it and I had to admit that I didn't know it. Between their interest and Roger Blair's comment on the "Suzanne" thread, I thought, well, maybe I should open my eyes a little.

The chorus seems to be almost a mantra kind of thing after the powerful lines in each verse. The song certainly embodies a bunch of emotion about failed love. I'm not big on lost love or failed love songs because I have been very lucky in love in my own life. But I understand that for a lot of people, this is their experience of love.

The guitar is my Martin 000-28VS. The strings are fairly old coated Martin Lifespan PB strings, but they still sound okay to me.

Thanks for listening!

- Glenn
Old 08-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Glenn, that was just fantastic. Really well done! Your voice in spots reminds me of Jeff Buckley's presentation of the song.

I think the song gained a tremendous amount of exposure, and a whole new following/audience after it was used in the movie Shrek.

Again, terrific presentation...very powerful. Thanks for taking the time to work it up and publish it for us.

Roger
Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Glenn, that was just fantastic. Really well done! Your voice in spots reminds me of Jeff Buckley's presentation of the song.

I think the song gained a tremendous amount of exposure, and a whole new following/audience after it was used in the movie Shrek.

Again, terrific presentation...very powerful. Thanks for taking the time to work it up and publish it for us.

Roger
Thanks so much, Roger!

I'm very glad you thought this came out okay!

I do think you are right, Roger, that the exposure of this song from Shrek must have helped it quite a bit. In fact, I just watched the first Shrek movie with about 4 of my grandchildren who were visiting, and I was also reminded of "Hallelujah" by that, as well. It seems my psyche has been bombarded with "Hallelujah" references lately!

Regarding the Jeff Buckley arrangement, I liked what he did playing a solo Telecaster with a little chorus effect on it. I considered adding a little Telecaster as a 2nd part to my arrangement, but then decided, naw... I ended up liking the solo acoustic guitar. It seems to me that this song accompaniment should be sparse to help the vocal jump out a little more.

Thank you for the suggestion of this song! Once again, I learned something!

- Glenn
Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 AM

Congratulations for this beautiful song
Old 08-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Fabulous job, Glenn. You are quite the singer. The guitar sounds wonderful to me, I'm impressed.

When k. d. lang covered this song it was a big boost many years ago. Her version is stunning. What pipes.

Does your guitar have a mic on it or a pickup inside? Sounds mic'd. Great!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:45 AM

One of my favorite songs. Well done and thank you for undertaking a new project. Impressive that you picked it up so well and so quickly.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefobe View Post
Congratulations for this beautiful song
Thank you Marcus!

I appreciate your listening and commenting! And I'm glad you liked this!

- Glenn
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Very nicely done! A great job on one of my favorites...
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Fabulous job, Glenn. You are quite the singer. The guitar sounds wonderful to me, I'm impressed.

When k. d. lang covered this song it was a big boost many years ago. Her version is stunning. What pipes.

Does your guitar have a mic on it or a pickup inside? Sounds mic'd. Great!
Hi Bill,

Thank you for your generous comments and kind words! I am flattered, especially because I have now heard you sing and play!

I have heard K.D. Lang's version of this song a few times, and I agree, she sounds terrific. I like her version of this song a lot.

My guitar has a stereo pair of Rode NT5 small diaphragm mics with omni-directional capsules in them. So the guitar sounds very natural because it's being picked up by a pair of good, accurate microphones. The omni capsules sound significantly better, I think, than the original cardioid capsules that came with the mic set.

Thanks again for listening and commenting!

- Glenn
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
One of my favorite songs. Well done and thank you for undertaking a new project. Impressive that you picked it up so well and so quickly.
Hi CT,

Thank you very much for your comments! I'm really glad you liked the song.

Regarding learning the song, though, the words to me were the real challenge. The guitar part is pretty basic -- C, Am, F, G. I cheat a little by adding a few chord alterations in there for variety. I know that some people really hate playing the F chord, but I learned to deal with that a long time ago. There is some challenge on the guitar in keeping that early rock-n-roll beat and pattern while finger picking the strings and while singing, but being an old guy, I grew up with that kind of beat stuck in my head.

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment!

- Glenn
Old 08-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Very nicely done! A great job on one of my favorites...
Thank you very much, Mike!

How nice that you liked what I did with this! Thanks so much for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

You delivered that one with conviction and purpose. Real nice Glenn.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
You delivered that one with conviction and purpose. Real nice Glenn.
Thank you so very much Toby! I very much appreciate your listening and your thoughts on this! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM

Hi Glenn....been away for a few days on the high seas and,.....look what I find on AGF as I return!!
One word for this one.......CHILLS!!

The chorus is delivered with fervor and such authenticity, Glenn.........and the end......you're looking down as you finish and completing a solemn moment from this beautiful and spiritual song.

thanks for putting this one out there.....it does seem as though it might be a special one for you too!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Well, that's just gorgeous, Glenn. Lovely tune and performed beautifully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell