The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Taylor neck reset on my 614ce 2002

I have searched different threads in this forum and google but I couldn't find a solution. I need your help.

My 614ce 2002 has UST, fishman matrix NT1. The neck relief is 0.004 the neck angle is straight on A string and above 1/64 on D string. The action is 7/64 low E string and 5/64 high E string at 12th fret.

I want to have action 5/64 on low E and 1/16 at low E. If I lower the saddle, the saddle protrusion at high E string will barely over the bridge a little bit.

Should I mess up with the neck angle? Tilting backward the neck angle (thinner shimmy at the neck heel) will lower the action? Suppose it lowers the action, will the straight edge measurement will have larger gap above the bridge at A and D string?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM

You are going to have to take the guitar to a Taylor certified tech ... he will have the correct tapered shims to get the action to exactly where you want it.

And in answer to your question, yes, once the action is lowered to where you want it, the straight edge will show a (slight ) gap above the bridge between the A and D strings.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You are going to have to take the guitar to a Taylor certified tech ... he will have the correct tapered shims to get the action to exactly where you want it.

And in answer to your question, yes, once the action is lowered to where you want it, the straight edge will show a (slight ) gap above the bridge between the A and D strings.
Thanks, I will do.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM

Actually, if I lower saddle to get 1/16 at high E string, the saddle protrusion from the bridge top at high E string will be 1/16. Is this low for string break angle?

Please post the saddle protrusion that you have on your Taylor 614ce with good action (5/64 low E, 1/16 high E at 12th) for E low, A, D, G, B and high E strings. I will the information before lowering the saddle. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Everyone's action is different, all wood behaves differently.

I am an authorised Taylor warranty repair and finish centre, so my comments come from working on Taylors

The first thing to do is forget your saddle and bridge.

Sight your neck from the nut to the bridge looking across the top of your frets, project an imaginary line from your fret tops to the bridge area. Does your neck appear to angle into the bridge? below the bridge? above the bridge?

Modifying a saddle blindly and shooting for a targeted height is fraught with danger if you do not check other facts first.

A Taylor neck is very simplistic to reset and can be done cheaply by an authorised person as we all carry the required pre-made shims.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Everyone's action is different, all wood behaves differently.

I am an authorised Taylor warranty repair and finish centre, so my comments come from working on Taylors

The first thing to do is forget your saddle and bridge.

Sight your neck from the nut to the bridge looking across the top of your frets, project an imaginary line from your fret tops to the bridge area. Does your neck appear to angle into the bridge? below the bridge? above the bridge?

Modifying a saddle blindly and shooting for a targeted height is fraught with danger if you do not check other facts first.

A Taylor neck is very simplistic to reset and can be done cheaply by an authorised person as we all carry the required pre-made shims.

Steve
Thanks. I follow your advice. Sight the neck from middle of D & G string, it is straight. However, the side of E low and E high is lower than the top of the bridge. Woud you comment on my observation?

I live in Santa Clara county, California. Is there Taylor authorized repair person in this area?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
A Taylor neck is very simplistic to reset
Simplistic ? Hardly ... but certainly simple.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanks. I quoted Taylor neck reset service at an authorized Taylor service, it costs $125 and takes a week to get it done.

I can live with the low E action at 7/64 ang high E at 5/16. The guitar sounds wonderful and not hard to play.

I see that the saddle protrusion from the bridge is not following the formula ( desired action x 2 = protrusion distance), it is lower on my guitar. I see Taylor neck angle adjustment on frets.com

I don't have Taylor shim. Otherwise, I really want to learn. I am not the original owner of my guitar.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Simplistic ? Hardly ... but certainly simple.
You will note I very rarely reply to your comments as I feel it is a waste of my time.

I judge people and their opinions by their body of work, being a guitar forum, this would imply I judge people's opinions and comments by the guitar work they present.

In 4 and a half thousand posts, no body of work exists from you, simply opinions, arguments and the need to grammatically correct people.

Any 12 yr old can regurgitate comments.

Thanks for your comments.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hng View Post
I don't have Taylor shim. Otherwise, I really want to learn. I am not the original owner of my guitar.
Actually you need two shims, one goes under the fretboard extension, the other sits under the heel.

You can make the shims yourself, I do advise not to.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hng View Post
Thanks. I quoted Taylor neck reset service at an authorized Taylor service, it costs $125 and takes a week to get it done
You will likely find, the week turnaround is just fitting it into the work schedule, still that surprises me.

The actual process takes 15-30 minutes, dependant on whether you stop to have a coffee .

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-05-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
You will note I very rarely reply to your comments as I feel it is a waste of my time.
Actually, I hadn't noted that, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair