The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2017, 06:01 AM

Well Andy, seems the tide is starting to turn against you , in favour of the salespeople.
I'm still on your side tho' bro' !

Maybe some people here have not understood that it's a USED car you're looking for. ..?

I am the same when I change cars, (always buy used myself) I have a type in mind , medium hatch back or small estate/station wagon. PETROL ENGINED !

Currently my Golf fills this role nicely, but when I change it I will keep an open mind to any makers that have a suitable model and just see what's out there.

For my last 4 cars I have been going to the same used car dealer, who provides a great service. He can often find exactly what you want if you don't fancy anything from his forecourt and has obtained cars for friends of mine too.
He also lets me try stuff out for several days to see how I like it ! Roy's cool, but definitely an exception to the rule.

Loved your line about one of the staff appearing to be a small boy in a suit and tie !
You are officially an old curmudgeon now , if there was any doubt before !

Good luck in the quest .
Old 08-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Yep. On the way back from our cruise, my GF wanted to stop and look at anew mini van. The salesman kept trying to show her a Tahoe. I don't know how many times she told him she doesn't want a Tahoe. Then he does the stupid, walk away and ask another salesman to come get the key to the Tahoe saying someone else is looking it it and wants to buy it. We just got up and walked out.

I've had good salesman and bad. I walk away from the bad and don't waste my time with them. I also just tell them what I'll pay. They either get to it or they don't. I don't do the lets walk back and forth 25 times to the sales manager ina far away land only to return with a price that is not what I said I would pay. I le t them do that a couple of times and walk away while they are on one of they false adventures.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 08-02-2017, 06:40 AM

I have purchased three new vehicles from different dealerships over a span of 10 years or so. No offense to anyone but my experience with car sales folks has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. I can always see through their lies and games. I say these sales folks get more familiarized with what they are selling. I was recently purchasing a $60k vehicle and the lady didn't have a clue about the features of the car. We left the dealership baffled and bought a vehicle elsewhere. I get a call from this clueless woman couple days later after the purchase and when I tell her that I purchased the car from another dealer, her tone changed and she went into an argument mode. "What was it that I did?" "Why did you buy it from us?" etc. I asked, "What's the point of our conversation if I have no business with you?" She continues to argue. I hang up and block her phone #s. Been driving the new car happily.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:44 AM

I've bought two new Subaru Foresters since 2010. I had decided on the Subaru based on my love for boxer engines. I new I wanted a vehicle that could double as a daily driver and a weekend vehicle for my outdoor interests. I liked the 8" ground clearance and Subaru's version of AWD. The Forester is 8" shorter which is not a big deal for me.

I got the second Forester over the Outback because the car top rack fit my existing Yakima racks.

The reason people by cars are so varied and sales people are at such as disadvantage of being able to know all the preferences and reasons without a lengthy conversation. Nothing is worse than a client that is not sure or does not know what they want and why. Who would have asked if I liked boxer engines or cared about the rack system.

What the sales person did do was to find and hold onto a special model until I could get to the dealership. It was not a big deal, but I appreciated his efforts.

I knew the price and what others were paying before I arrived. No big surprises there.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 AM

It's a new world. If you are not prepared to buy something (car, lumber, air conditioner) by researching online ahead of time, then you can expect what happened to you.
Try going into a Home Depot and ask for advice ... (no, don't, really.)

KBB.com is a very good site to use for research, there are others. Knowing what you want to pay, (and should expect to pay) and value of your trade-in are crucial.
My last 3 new car purchases - Subaru Impreza, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Corolla had none of that 'salesman goes to check with sales manager' BS. They asked what I wanted to pay, checked my trade-in, made an offer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Much relevant info and suggestions have already been stated The only thing I can say.
New or Used After researching the average selling prices AND know what you are willing to ( with some small adjustment for condition and or features) . If you know what you are willing to pay ( it is really the only thing that matters ) it is then much easier for you to take control.
There is only one of two options, either you control the shopping experience, or you let ( yes......Let) the salesperson control the situation. I have bought numerous new and a few used vehicles , in all cases I do not let someone else control the experience.

You have to be willing to just walk out, and if the dealership wants to play "Let's negotiate (especially running back and forth to the manager's office)" I will usually then just proceed to "reverse negotiate"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-03-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I enjoy buying cars and I prefer to do it with "boots on the ground." The internet pix and descriptions are a good start, but eventually I want to touch. It doesn't take long to figure out what dealers/salesmen know what they're doing and which ones don't, so I treat it like the game it is and I take as long as it takes to get happy with a particular car. It is time consuming though, and I wish the part after 'I'll take it,' could get done a lot faster.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo66 View Post
A "Yen" is about a penny so I can see why the salesmen were less than helpful

Just injecting a little humor into a painful experience.
I know you're laffing at my English English, (which is fine) but in case anyone is confused :

"Yen: noun, informal

A longing or yearning.
with infinitive ‘she always had a yen to be a writer’"
Old 08-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
Renault??. They still make them?
Still? Started in 1899 - been making vehicles ever since - rated tenth largest automotive manufacturer in the world.
Also partners with many other large companies including Nissan.

however, their salesman in Portsmouth is a plop.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
You are part of the problem since you don't know what you want.

First do some homework and determine what you want. Then it is a simple matter of doing an internet search on inventories of dealers in your area. There are even sources that tell you what others paid for the product you want. Take you information into the dealership and find the one that meets your price.

When we got the Mercedes for my wife we knew which model she wanted. We ultimately found the car and the best price 100 miles away. The purpose of the salesperson was to meet the needs and the price.
Excuse me twelvefret, but that was exactly what we were doing - market research - we went to see a Renault Captur - we drove twenty miles to see one. The guy didn't even offer us the opportunity to sit in one, and certainly couldn't be bothered to research the Renault network to find one suitable.

(Incidentally, I've just looked on Autotrader, and there are 23 cars for sale within our price range, and 21 of them are on Renault forecourts - he cvould have had one shipped down for us to check out (like the Fiat guy did).

We have autotrader here and can do a certain amount of online research, but you still have to check out the thing in the flesh or steel).

We knew what we wanted - a 1.2- 1.6ish litre petrol auto with satnav and a look and feel that suited my wife (i.e. the prospective cash buyer). You don't get that online.

We walked in and politely told him the model and specs we were seeking.

My wife is an intelligent experienced driver, but she has different criteria to me - her cash, her decision.

That's another thing - she started the dialogue - the salesman always answered to me. Sheesh!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 08-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

Step three use the Internet inventories at nearby dealers to find out if they have the car on your list you want to look at/drive. You'll still have to deal with the confused sales folks, but at least you'll have a sense the car is there . . .
I've tried this a couple of times, only to find out that while they say its there, what they mean is they can get it for you. In one case, the truck I inquired about was across the state, and they were going to charge me $800 to transfer to my city. Bait and switch.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM

I think some of it depends on the classification of vehicle you are buying.

If you are going into your typical run-of-the-mill Chevy, Ford, Chrysler type of dealership buying the typical American car that all the masses buy from..... then realize the sales people have been dealing with thousands and thousands of people that are just tire kickers and waste so much of their time. The sales people have spent a lot of time with people hours and hours only to be given lame excuse at the end of well we're just looking or we don't have the money.

My last Mercedes I bought 3 years ago took a total of 18 minutes. The one I bought 9 years ago while on vacation in Florida took less than 25 minutes total. I called them and told them what I was looking for when they said they had what I was looking for I said I'll be there have everything ready and I'm not fooling around with anyone. They are professional I got there they had two of the cars sitting out for me to look at I told them to give me your best price possible within minutes they gave me their best price I countered and it took them less than seven minutes to except my offer or to meet me halfway. the paperwork was done immediately and I was out the door. I do not understand the mentality of letting some salesman drag you around their dealership for two and three hours at a time. I guess I always let them know upfront I'm here to buy a car and I'm not wasting any time if you start to waste my time I'm walking out the door.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

(because this happened, literally 1 minute ago).

I know what I want and contact a Salesman at our local dealer.

Tell him I want XXX model, $$$ price and a particular list of features:
  • must have A
  • must have B
  • must have C
  • would like D
  • optional with E
  • must not have F
  • Must not have G

Over two weeks he sends me two cars that are over budget and don't have any of my must haves.

Here are his EXACT emails to me

Quote:
Just so I can update my notes…are you not interested in any of our vehicles at this time?

Thanks
I tell him no but I'll keep him in mind. He replies

Quote:
Just trying to stay in touch….did you end up purchasing model ABC?

Do any of our vehicles suit your needs?

Please and Thanks
I told him No and no.

I'm sort of waiting to see if something pops up that checks all my boxes, so he replies

Quote:
Fair enough….just so I can help keep an eye out, what is the ideal situation for you?

So, he never cared about what I asked for or what I wanted and never even paid attention (even though it was pages down in the EXACT email he sent back to me.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
My dear wife has a yen to replace her car. Considering the way she has cared for me for the last seven months of my illness and treatment - (ongoing) she deserves it.

So, we know what we want - a small car with a petrol engine and an automatic transmission, and a built-in satnav.
She fancied a Fiat 500X, or a Nissan Juke but there are many similar cars designed for women.

Today we drove to the next town to investigate what else is available.

First place - Renault:
"Oh we don't get many petrol - most prefer the diesel!"
"We only want one and we want petrol".
"Well the diesel is very nice".
"Are you prepared to guarantee that your DPF filters will NEVER cause a problem?"
"Oh don't believe what you hear in the media!"
"So you don't do Capturs with petrol engines?"
"Oh yes but they are rare!"
"Good bye - sorry to waste your time looking for a product that you sell but can't be bothered to find!" (I didn't say that).

2nd place - VW - we walk up and down the line. There are salesmen hiding in the office - apparently scared of contact with would be clients. We leave.

Audi dealers - a salesman comes out and shows us one model twice as much as our stated budget. We thank him and remind him of what we are looking for. He gives us his card and tells us to check in "from time to time". Ah- so you want US to chase YOU to sell us a car?" (I didn't say that").

3rd Peugot/Fiat/Mazda dealers.

We find a most interesting Fiat. Then after a while we find a salesman.
He tells us that it is sold "Doesn't say so". "Well it is, happy hunting".

We move along and I find a Nissan Juke. I walk into the sales area - "Excuse me can someone help us with the Nissan outside?"
"That's a used car" say a small boy wearing a suit and tie, "we are new sales".
I'm getting riled now. "Well young man, why don't you go and find me someone who can help us?" "Oh, (shrugs) OK".

An older gent ambles out and asks if he can help.
"Yes, we'd like to look at this car, can you show us around?"
"Oh, it's just come in" (so?) He ambles off, then after a few minutes returns - "I have to get the key number".
He ambles off again, then the car clicks open, so Jane climbs in.
So she's sat in it, keyless entry so can't switch it on, but no salesman.
We get fed up so close the doors and go to walk away.
The salesman ambles out again - "are you OK?"
"Well we are, but we were getting lonely - can you tell us about the car?
"Well, it's just come in".
I find myself getting managerial but hide it "Firstly is it petrol or diesel?"
"I don't know - he opens the petrol filler lid, and looks inside - "It's petrol"
"Well done! - and what is the mileage?"
"I don't know - it's just come in". He stands there as if that is an answer.
"Well, would you like to find out?" He ambles off again.
Jane looks in the glove compartment and finds a load of paperwork - it answers what we need to know - we close the doors and walk of, tired by the effort.
Salesman ambles out once more - and I say, "We'd like to test drive it, bit not now, so give me your card and we'll get in touch".

He looks worried - "Oh, I'll go and get one for you".
We get into my car and drive away.
Jane says if that was the best car in the world I wouldn't buy it from him!

I'm wondering how these guys can call themselves "salesmen" ?

sheesh!
I grew up in the car biz. It's the only industry I can think of that is perfect for artificial intelligence.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Sales people are human too..........

It takes both sides to have a win-win.

There are both good/bad sales people, and good/bad customers.

I live in the greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, very large metropolitan area, there are good dealerships, bad dealerships and a few great dealerships. To broad brush all of them in any one category is inaccurate.

I buy a new higher end car every two years, I enjoy driving. I do my homework, know a fair price, give respect and get it back or I walk. I get exemplary service from my current dealership, just saying.........

I've heard more BS in a Guitar Center than any car dealer ever, doesn't have to be cars, or real estate sales people, or pick a sales profession.

Not a big fan of negative broad brushing entire groups of "people"...........
I love your guitar posts. Here's another broad brush comment. Do you mind losing about 40% of the cars value every 2 years? You're the auto industries dream customer.

Last edited by aknow; 08-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic