The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Oh my,

I met him way back at my first Monroestock. He had a very nice GS back when they were fairly recent additions to the Taylor line. We were chatting about it and the next thing I know he hands it over for me to try out. What a generous offer that was and I remember it like it was not so long ago. He made quite a first impression on me.

My thoughts and prayers to his family.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM

(A friend suggested I make this thread a Sticky for a while. While I no longer can do that, a current Moderator could. Perhaps the best way to keep it on our first page is simply to post your memories or comments. Wade certainly had a lot of friends here, though it's been awhile since he was able to participate. His influence on this community will be seen for year to come.)

cotten
Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Sincere condolences, RIP Wade...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 PM

I did not know Wade, but, I love his song "Walls" which opens up AGF CD #1, great singing, playing, and writing.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 PM

Just found out this afternoon—am still in shock. What a sweet, gentle, thoughtful and talented guy he was (was about to say “…soul he was,” but IMHO his soul still is). Met him back at a Chicago gathering in 2004 (and at Jim W.’s urging, he, Jim, Alicia & I took a mini “road-trip” to the Old Town School’s “Garage Sale” and a productive trip it was). I remember that 2005 get-together at Jim & Alicia’s the next year; the last time I saw him was at Monroestock 2006. He was a fine picker, excellent writer and had a beautiful voice. Most of all, he was so supportive of our community—individually and collectively.

Rest well, my friend, and let your song go on forever.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:43 PM

I'm very saddened to read this news about Wade.

Much thanks to Jim Tozier for sharing pictures and memories....I really enjoyed them.

I exchanged several pm's and emails with Wade over the years, but didn't know him well. Wade struck me as a very talented, intelligent, and gentle soul. My gut tells me that Wade was a person who felt and thought deeply. He seemed conflicted in one sense, but at the same time, very much at peace and comfortable with himself.

I remember reaching out to Wade to compliment him on a song he wrote, recorded, and submitted for one of the forum CD's. I believe it was titled "Whatever Happened To Me". It knocked me out. The lyrics, the phrasing, the melody, the emotion....it was so well written and relatable. He was kind enough to send me a copy of his CD that he and Kelly had released that included this song.

Wade also coverd a tune 'All The Diamonds' by Bruce Cockburn that blew me away. I had never heard the tune before and was not familiar with Cockburn at the time. Wade shared a wonderful story of how he 'discovered' the song and what it meant to him on a personal level.

Wade had such a gift with words. He could say more in one sentence than most could say in a thousand words.

My heart goes out to all that knew and loved Wade.

He is deeply missed.

Danno
Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 AM
"Big Daddy"

Unhappy Farewell My Friend...Your love and wisdom will be missed...

I was heart broken to learn that Wade had passed away a few days before his 57th Birthday. Wade was full of life and love, and devoted to his wife Kelley and his family. My thoughts and prayers are with Kelley and their family. Warmest blessings to all of you during this time of sorrow.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tim and I just learned this news about Wade. He and his wife had come to the 2011 McKnight McJam. Because this year is our 10th anniversary of the McJam Wade had mentioned he might make an appearance if he felt healthy enough to do so. He made no promises, but had hopes.

I have a couple of close up pictures of him. I'll see if I can find them.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wade will live on through our fond memories of him as a person and musician. He will certainly be missed by us.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Cedar/Cocobolo SJ

I only interacted with Wade once, to ask him some questions and get some advice from him regarding a guitar that I bought, which he originally owned. The cedar/cocobolo SJ mentioned above. Since some contributors to this thread have expressed interest in its whereabouts I thought I would post to this thread. I had read many of his posts on the forum and was aware he was the original owner of the instrument so I contacted him. Here is his thoughtful reply to my questions. The communication was in March, 2008.

Jim

Here you go... great to meet you, too!

Your questions:

- What kind of strings did you like to use with this instrument? (I have medium gauge Elixer Phosphor Bronze Nano strings on it now. How long should these last - I play about 50 minutes per day.)

I wouldn’t use Mediums… I’d use Medium lights at most, because the top is braced for lights. You will most definitely get more “belly” in the guitar over time.

- It now has some K&K electronics and which are connected to a jack where the strap attaches to the lower bout. Did you install these or did Jim Tozier? I am interested to know what to do regarding attaching the strap at this end.

That was Tozier. I had a B-Band A1 in it, but use the K&K Pure Western Mini now in all my guitars. Pretty much any jack will work or, if you’re trying to undo the electronics, Bob Colosi makes an oversized endpin for just that purpose.

- Did you sell it directly to Jim? It seems there was another AGF owner "Ricks" that had it, but maybe that was after Jim?

It went from me to Jim to Rick to the person you bought it from.

- Is there any particular maintenance or cleaning that you recommend? (I have a microfiber cloth that I wipe it off with after I play.)

I always used Virtuoso Premium Polish to wonderful effect. It’s a nitrocellulose finish, so avoid vinyl straps (vinyl melts that kind of finish) and as always, avoid anything with silicone in it.

- Do you have any advice about this guitar, or playing in general, that you'd care to share - if so it would be really appreciated.

Treat it kindly – it’s a wonderful guitar!

- Did you commission this instrument, or was it already built when you bought it? (This is irrelevant but I'm just curious, as you can probably tell!)

I commissioned it and it was the first one Kent built using a wood logo (my request) and no shellfish elsewhere. At one point it became his most requested model. He suggested the coco/cedar combination.

I really love how it records on the wound string around the 4-8 frets... sounds almost like a nylon. My Beneteau is this way as well, but the Hamblin really opened my eyes.

Take care!

Wade
Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 PM

Miss him - he was a friend to many, and had a wonderful influence on this community. Thanks for posting that exchange, Jim!

cotten
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 AM

A fine player and a kind man. I am glad to have met him.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM

I hate to hear this about Wade. Dang.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Just heard of his passing. Although we drifted apart over the past few years Wade was a very special person and a gifted musician that I always enjoyed playing with. RIP dear friend.

[IMG]Monroestock IV 007 by alisa714, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN08250001 by alisa714, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]MS6016 by alisa714, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing all this, Lisa.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic