The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks Cuki! That's great information.

Between the new battery powered Eon and Maui, I suspect NotValid is now salivating and scheming a way to convince his wife that the column array is actually a low cost (and very tall) coat rack. When she objects, he'll offer to keep it in the garage or basement.

Or, perhaps, he could purchase a large fern or ficus tree and affix the leaves to the array to pass it off as a new house plant.

We'll keep thinking of things NotValid. We've gotta look out for a brother with G.A.S.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am salivating. I just bought some mountain bike related stuff (another expensive passion of mine) so I will have to wait a bit for the 5 GO or see what happens next. I think everyone else is going to jump on this bandwagon so the price will come down.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
I am salivating. I just bought some mountain bike related stuff (another expensive passion of mine) so I will have to wait a bit for the 5 GO or see what happens next. I think everyone else is going to jump on this bandwagon so the price will come down.
Cool, one of my other hobbies is road biking. It's easy to drop money on bikes. I would wait the Maui 5 Go out. Seems custom made for you.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Time for us to pull out our time foil hats?

Tin foil? Thats like the cheap mass produced cardboard guitars. You gotta step up your game and use crystals, man. The way they resonate is faaar out, like out into the universe far.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

Quote:
Tin foil? Thats like the cheap mass produced cardboard guitars. You gotta step up your game and use crystals, man. The way they resonate is faaar out, like out into the universe far.

Yeah man. Crystals man. Maybe I'll get the new Martin D-420 guitar.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Cool, one of my other hobbies is road biking. It's easy to drop money on bikes. I would wait the Maui 5 Go out. Seems custom made for you.

Yeah the Go 5 is like they read my mind....or our posts.
Road Biking. Isn't that dangerous? Give me a chair lift and steep, rocky, technical descents anyday of the week and I'm fine. Every time I break out my road bike I consider myself lucky to have survived the IPhone traffic. But yes, its very easy, and sometimes neccesary, to drop lots of money on bikes. Especially the carbon flavor. Might go back to steel. Loads of beautiful handmade steel bikes coming out of the U.K these days. You'd be surprised to see the weight is not very far from carbon (new designer steel) and price is also not far off from Taiwanese plastic.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah the Go 5 is like they read my mind....or our posts.

Road Biking. Isn't that dangerous? Give me a chair lift and steep, rocky, technical descents anyday of the week and I'm fine. Every time I break out my road bike I consider myself lucky yo have survived the IPhone traffic. But yes, its very easy, and sometimes neccesary, to drop lots of money on bikes. Especially the carbon flavor. Might go back to steel. Loads of beautiful handmade steel bikes coming out of the U.K these days. You'd be surprised to see the weight is not very far from carbon (new designer steel) and price is also not far off from Taiwanese plastic.

I got hit 2 years ago by a lady in a mini van on her iPhone. Hit and run. Ruptured my diaphragm. I haven't been on the road in a serious way since. Too dangerous. Oddly enough, the ride I got hit was the first ride I had made with my "new" carbon fiber road bike. I had purchased a carbon fiber frame and stripped it down to rebuilt it with a full Shimano Ultegra 6800 group set and Ultegra 6800 wheels. It was a nice ride. It needed repair, but it survived. Now, I occasionally take it down for rides with my kids around the neighborhood. :-) Most of the time I ride a hybrid on the hard pack trails. There are about 30 miles of it.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Where does it say the pre-amps in the Pro have more gain than the One? That seemed to be the main problem with the JBL One. If they haven't fixed the pre-amps are the additional inputs that exciting?

The added inputs are nice, Hi-Z nice, phantom power I usually don't need, but nice. The camera mount, couldn't really tell if other non-go pro camera would work. The tablet holder, meh. The smaller size is nice. It's the battery that appeals to me the most. Nice grab and go PA! As a mostly acoustic guitar player going to an 8" woofer doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I didn't have a woofer at all when I had the Fishstick and it was fine.

When using the batteries as opposed to the AC do you still have the same amount of power?

It is compelling, but I doubt I'll dump my current JBL One for it, since the only thing that appeals to me is the battery.

A friend of mine just bought hers a couple of weeks ago. Will have to let her know since she is still eligible to return hers and get the new one.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 04-20-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Where does it say the pre-amps in the Pro have more gain that One? That seemed to be the main problem with the JBL One. If they haven't fixed the pre-amps are the additional inputs that exciting?

The added inputs are nice, Hi-Z nice, phantom power I usually don't need, but nice. The camera mount, couldn't really tell if other non-go pro camera would work. The tablet holder, meh. The smaller size is nice. It's the battery that appeals to me the most. Nice grab and go PA! As a mostly acoustic guitar player going to an 8" woofer doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I didn't have a woofer at all when I had the Fishstick and it was fine.

When using the batteries as opposed to the AC do you still have the same amount of power?

It is compelling, but I doubt I'll dump my current JBL One for it, since the only thing that appeals to me is the battery.

A friend of mine just bought hers a couple of weeks ago. Will have to let her know since she is still eligible to return hers and get the new one.

I agree with all of that.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 PM

Maybe the battery doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought, because my VL3 and beat buddy would need power too.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 04-20-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe the battery doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought, because my VL3 and beat buddy would need power too.

That's an important consideration. When I was working with the Carvin S600B battery unit, I had decided to get a rechargeable, portable laptop extension battery and match the voltage and connector for my TC Play Acoustic. While a bit awkward in form, it worked just fine. I'm no longer concerned with battery power for my situation. I suspect that if you were to need the battery option, you'd have to get a pedal system with battery power for those gigs. There are a few out there.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Where does it say the pre-amps in the Pro have more gain than the One? That seemed to be the main problem with the JBL One. If they haven't fixed the pre-amps are the additional inputs that exciting?

The original has plenty of gain on the inputs (1 and 2) if you choose mic level. But since there are no limit or clip lights on those channels, gain staging is difficult. I thought I had it dialed in at an outdoor show last weekend only to find we were pushing the JBL too hard. My EV on a stick had no problems with the same exact signal. I'm about done with the JBL.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:44 PM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The original has plenty of gain on the inputs (1 and 2) if you choose mic level. But since there are no limit or clip lights on those channels, gain staging is difficult. I thought I had it dialed in at an outdoor show last weekend only to find we were pushing the JBL too hard. My EV on a stick had no problems with the same exact signal. I'm about done with the JBL.
David, I've played with this quite a bit now. I've settled on using the 1/4" line inputs connected to a mixer with 1/4" to XLR cables. I max out the line channel gain. The mixer is generally set to unity. Then I adjust the volume using the master volume. This is working great and seems to solve the gain staging issue. Channel one and two can be used in the mic setting, but it's a 20 or 30 dB difference, so you can use it for Line sources, but you have to be careful about keeping the channel volume moderate. I suspect the new unit will solve these mixer issues. My issue with the Eon One mixer is the low gain for the Line inputs on channel one and two.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:20 PM

In helping my friend decide whether this new version would be any better for her. She just got hers and so she has the opportunity to take hers back and get the Pro.

Wondering what version 3 will be, that's probably the one that will be a good one to go to, at least for current One owners.
  1. Same (6) 2" drivers in the array. (No difference)
  2. 8" woofer instead of the 10" - for a 25% smaller box. (I'm guessing the slimness of the Pro will make it less awkward to carry.)
  3. Lithium Ion rechargeable battery 6-hours play time at full power - (Cool idea for her to do outside gigs with acoustic guitarist, but not so often she would use this feature, but she did consider it for playing with a backing track.)
  4. Weighs 2.5 lbs less than the current model. (Lighter is better. In this cause not a big enough difference to be excited about.)
  5. 4 combo full inputs in the 7 channel mixer. (This was compelling because she could put a small group through this. She would have a flute, guitar, keyboards, singer. She could accomplish this with the One and a sub $100 mixer. We don't know if they added more gain to the pre-amps and I still don't see a means of checking for clipping.)
  6. Phantom power for XLRs. (This feature she doesn't need. I get some people will want Phantom power, but the One Pro turns on phantom power for two channels. Why not make them independent? You've just rendered an input unusable if you don't have a need for phantom power on two inputs. The same could be said when using the Hi-Z setting.)
  7. High Z for guitars on the mixer. (Nice feature but renders an extra channel useless if Hi-Z isn't needed on both channels.)
  8. XLR output for expansion. (She doesn't need this feature, mainly because if she is in a bigger venue she is usually playing with others who have bigger PA's or the venue has a PA.)
  9. Connector for lighting or GoPro camera accessory. (She doesn't have a GoPro or lighting device to connect so not a feature she would use.)
  10. USB port for tablet charging. (She loved this to keep her phone charged.)
  11. Flip up tablet tray. (She thought this was good place to sit her phone while it charged.)
  12. $500 higher list price than the existing unit. (Is there enough to pay $500 for the switch?)

The only thing that was truly compelling for her was the extra inputs. The battery was almost green for her, but she left it orange. So the battery, the Pro being slimmer and lighter, and being able to charge her phone would sweeten the deal. She is on the fence of whether this is worth the extra $500.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 04-23-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Good analysis Dragonfly. I don't think the phantom power will harm any dynamic mic on the second channel. I thought he High Z only applied to a single channel?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
David, I've played with this quite a bit now. I've settled on using the 1/4" line inputs connected to a mixer with 1/4" to XLR cables. I max out the line channel gain. The mixer is generally set to unity. Then I adjust the volume using the master volume. This is working great and seems to solve the gain staging issue. Channel one and two can be used in the mic setting, but it's a 20 or 30 dB difference, so you can use it for Line sources, but you have to be careful about keeping the channel volume moderate. I suspect the new unit will solve these mixer issues. My issue with the Eon One mixer is the low gain for the Line inputs on channel one and two.
I'll have to try that. It seems like I wouldn't have enough gain out of my Mackie mixer to properly drive the line inputs, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Why not just use XLRs to channels 1 and 2 set to line? Wouldn't line level be the same on all four inputs?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification