The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 PM

Not really but it's here none the less. The Rams are 1-0 so we can end it now.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 PM

Love football, love my Patriots and love my Florida Gators! But I certainly will miss summertime.

(Also, fixed? Really? You don't think a scandal of that magnitude, where both teams and many, many others have to be in on it, would somehow have been leaked by this point? As previously mentioned, c'mon!)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 PM

I am very curious to know how one would go about fixing a game involving 90 odd players, 3 dozen coaches and 7 officials without having a single person leak the plan. Were all of the Falcons players on-board with the idea of committing the biggest choke job in the history of the Superbowl? Did the Falcons coaching staff all agree to call bad plays when the situation called for them to run the clock out in the 4th Quarter?

How exactly did they arrange that miraculous catch by Edelman that started the comeback? You couldn't choreograph that if you tried. And it is doubtful the comeback could have happened without that play.

New England's dominance is awkward, to say the least, for the league. If the league wanted to fix a game, the better course would have been to have a fairy-tale story of the young upstart Falcons beating the team everybody loves to hate.

Sorry folks, what you saw last winter was simply an example of the Patriots' experience and discipline, led by Brady and Belichik, overcoming a younger, less experienced, less well-conditioned team.

I agree that the way everything unfolded is improbable, but since when have the Patriots settled for the probable?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Which football? If you mean what Americans call soccer, then I play every Sunday. I love it.

If you mean NFL, I don't think I can watch the Redskins go no where yet again.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM

The Super Bowl was fixed? Right. Sure. Until someone can explain to me in extremely fine detail the machinations invoved in pulling off such a feet, I view such conspiracy theories in the same light I reserve for people who think the moon landing was a hoax perpetrated by the government and Stanley Kubrick. Either would be the greatest magic trick ever pulled.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:56 PM

I work in a mental hospital. I see the effects of traumatic brain injury every day. Google CTE. Google life expectancy post football career.

Modern day gladiators. Sans lions (except in Detroit).

I used to love the game. One of my fondest memories is sitting around on Sunday afternoons with my dad watching the Cowboys on TV. No more. Can't do it.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
No.

Have been slowly losing my taste for football for many years. And now that I realize that when I am watching football, I am watching zealots sacrifice the integrity of their brain...well, that is just not so appealing, no mater how much I enjoy the strategy and the competition and the suspense and the beauty of the play.

It is too much like watching a drug addict or an alcoholic destroy their lives...it is their life, and they are entitled to use their time and health in any way they wish. But I am not obliged to watch it. And the fact that it can be entertaining and "fun" at turns does not obviate the bigger picture. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I work in a mental hospital. I see the effects of traumatic brain injury every day. Google CTE. Google life expectancy post football career.

Modern day gladiators. Sans lions (except in Detroit).

I used to love the game. One of my fondest memories is sitting around on Sunday afternoons with my dad watching the Cowboys on TV. No more. Can't do it.
I love football. I loved playing, and I used to love watching, but this is something I think more and more about, especially as it pertains to the college game. At least you can argue that NFL players are adults well compensated for the risks they face. But college players are children who are not paid, and only a tiny fraction ever will be. How close to The Hunger Games do we have to get before Americans begin to question the morality of watching children inflict brain damage on one another?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
That's preseason. We haven't started playing for real yet.

Yes, I love the NFL. It's my favorite time of the year. Also, a big Pats fan and we got even better than last year. A lot of folks are picking us to have a season that rivals 2007. I'm a little nervous with all the hype. I know it's greedy, but I just want one more Superbowl for Tom before he retires.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
I am very curious to know how one would go about fixing a game involving 90 odd players, 3 dozen coaches and 7 officials without having a single person leak the plan. Were all of the Falcons players on-board with the idea of committing the biggest choke job in the history of the Superbowl? Did the Falcons coaching staff all agree to call bad plays when the situation called for them to run the clock out in the 4th Quarter?

How exactly did they arrange that miraculous catch by Edelman that started the comeback? You couldn't choreograph that if you tried. And it is doubtful the comeback could have happened without that play.

New England's dominance is awkward, to say the least, for the league. If the league wanted to fix a game, the better course would have been to have a fairy-tale story of the young upstart Falcons beating the team everybody loves to hate.

Sorry folks, what you saw last winter was simply an example of the Patriots' experience and discipline, led by Brady and Belichik, overcoming a younger, less experienced, less well-conditioned team.

I agree that the way everything unfolded is improbable, but since when have the Patriots settled for the probable?
I think it can be explained mostly by coaching. You have Bill up against a near-rookie coach. Atlanta made a bunch of dumb decisions and Bill coached as well as you can coach.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I think it can be explained mostly by coaching. You have Bill up against a near-rookie coach. Atlanta made a bunch of dumb decisions and Bill coached as well as you can coach.
That's certainly a big part of it. Other factors include superior conditioning on the part of the Pats. When Atlanta was running out of gas late in the game, the Patriots were still going strong.

And Brady is as good as they get at playing when all the chips are on the table.

Personally, I'd like to see Atlanta come back strong, having learned from the experience. They could be a contender for a few years to come.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Latest poll has my favorite Seahawks at #2 with the Pats at #1. Hawks return with D at full strength. Hope they stay healthy. O line has to be better than last years awful group. Russ needs to avoid injury, especially at the beginning of the season.

Local lost boys.
Chargers started fine, then let Seattle blow them out with second stringers. Lots of unanswered questions. But you have to hand it to them with a 27,000 seat stadium they are a nice little boutique team. That small stadium could backfire if too many visiting fans get in. Don't know why they didn't spend a few bucks to play in the Rose Bowl. Tight budget?

Rams, opened with a win against the Cowboys even though they fumbled like 127 times during the game. Hard to tell the starters from the undrafted walk-ons. Let's see how they do against the highly rated Raiders. Fans won't be satisfied with a re-run of last season. And I suspect when the preseason is over they better come out firing against the Colts and Redskins. They won't catch a break until week three against the 49ers, rated 31st in the NFL.

College
Every season USC talks national title. Got close to contending last year with an unbelievable finish and now start the season with a pretty good QB. So here we go again. Fight On.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Not really for me, either. It's another year of hand-wringing over Washington's inability to field a team better than 8 & 8. These guys haven't been any good for 25 years. No reason to expect anything different this year.

Update: Pre-season game #2...the Deadskins look absolutely horrible. They're a 6 & 10 team at best.

Last edited by AX17609; 08-19-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 PM

The DETROIT LIONS were undefeated in the pre-season a couple years ago,----they then proceeded to go winless, 0-16!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic