The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Music Room Speculation

Someone on another forum is building a music room and I was speculating doing the same. Any insight to his situation here?:

"So I'm building a music room out behind the house. It's 24x36 ( part of it is the wife's) and dried in. Roof is on and I started on the vinyl siding to match the house this week.
It is to play music in and basically have a good time in. It will have a 1000 watt, 12 channel PA system, Roland electronic drum set , A lot of amps and 4 mics, hopefully wireless.
The music side is 19x24 and has an 8' flat ceiling. I'm having a hard time deciding on what to put on the walls and ceiling for the best "sound".

I went to Guitar Ctr. and looked at the Acoustic room setup, it's some type of open grain rough cut lumber with no finish. If I had to guess I would say West Coast Cedar, 6" with a tongue and groove set vertically.

I checked on that and the cost would be astronomical!!! Cant do that!

Any ideas for wall and ceiling coverings that are acoustically good/great without breaking the bank?

I'm thinking some type of wood with no finish."
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 08-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Primary use will be play/rehearse or recording?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

cheap paneling ?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-12-2017, 07:18 AM

Default Sheet Rock

Cheap and easy.

Or

Find a small local sawmill preferably a "hobby mill". Tell the sawyer what you want to do and they might sell you enough mill run pine or something else they might have a hard time selling. Big knots and random width should not be a problem. Do sheet rock or flake board first.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:23 AM

What if budget were not an issue, and regarding the science of acoustics and sound in a room this size, what would be the optimum material just for recording OR just for performing?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 08-12-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

It would be helpful to know what your budget is. How about Plytanium (I know, sounds like something that would cripple Superman) rough siding....https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plytanium-C...SABEgI2Q_D_BwE
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Someone on another forum is building a music room and I was speculating doing the same. Any insight to his situation here?:

"So I'm building a music room out behind the house. It's 24x36 ( part of it is the wife's) and dried in. Roof is on and I started on the vinyl siding to match the house this week.
It is to play music in and basically have a good time in. It will have a 1000 watt, 12 channel PA system, Roland electronic drum set , A lot of amps and 4 mics, hopefully wireless.
The music side is 19x24 and has an 8' flat ceiling. I'm having a hard time deciding on what to put on the walls and ceiling for the best "sound".

I went to Guitar Ctr. and looked at the Acoustic room setup, it's some type of open grain rough cut lumber with no finish. If I had to guess I would say West Coast Cedar, 6" with a tongue and groove set vertically.

I checked on that and the cost would be astronomical!!! Cant do that!

Any ideas for wall and ceiling coverings that are acoustically good/great without breaking the bank?

I'm thinking some type of wood with no finish."

It really depends on your budget and what type of aesthetic you are after . But there are a number of options
There is either Pine or Aspen 1X6 T&G while not cheap certainly less than Cedar. There are also often rough cut types of local wood , poplar etc, (depending on your specific local) that may be less than Pine or Aspen

Another option would be (if you have any small local lumber mills that have the initial irregular trim cut offs, usually 1 inch to 2 inches thick, often very cheap or even free ) sheetrock the walls (perhaps quick down and dirty paint ) then apply these cutoffs as close to butting as possible . They are irregular so some of the sheetrock will show... BUT you also get some acoustical diffusion happening.

If when you get the walls finished and your room ends up too live and you are getting some annoying slap type reflections you can DYI some panel absorbers and place some around in the corners ) but you can decide this after you get the walls finished and see what you are dealing with sound wise

Here is a picture of my basement studio in Wyoming. This is unfinished Aspen 1X6 T&G walls and ceiling with Bamboo on the floors
And some black cloth covered 2 ft. X 4 ft. x 4 inches deep panel absorbers ( for recording/mixing purposes) ,

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Take a drive in the country and find a old barn that is falling down. Talk to the farmer about 'clearing some of the debris.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 AM

If the walls aren't up you can use "greenboard" which is acoustic sheetrock, and paint or do whatever on top. Great soundproofing too.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I contemplated this many years ago, but never did it. I'll enjoy watching how this goes. I really needed to soundproof some drums...

Kev, what a great-looking room!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Ahh, the curse of pre-mature speculation.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 08-12-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 AM

What you didn't see at the store was what BEHIND the wood paneling. Fill all the voids with insulation - dense rockwool will absorb more than fluffy pink stuff, but won't make much difference IN the room.
Your room is almost square, consider giving your wife a little more room for her 'side', this will result in better acoustic properties.
For recording (and especially for mixing) you will want to tame the acoustic reflections in the room - corner 'supertraps' or panels to span the corners, as well as panels on the walls - rockwool, not foam.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele