The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-06-2017, 06:05 AM

Default DIY amp mods?

Howdy guys,

Are there any DIY mods I can do to the Samick AG-10D amp that came with my fender squier bullet to make it sound better or to make it do some other crazy amp type stuff?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:05 AM

I'm no expert, but if you want to hang onto the amp for a while, consider getting a used modeler to stick on the front end. I use an old POD, but there are others, including Pandora. They add modeled effects like overdrive so you'll get a little amp fun. Most have a headphone jack so you can burn it up on the QT.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I'm no expert, but if you want to hang onto the amp for a while, consider getting a used modeler to stick on the front end. I use an old POD, but there are others, including Pandora. They add modeled effects like overdrive so you'll get a little amp fun. Most have a headphone jack so you can burn it up on the QT.
Can somebody translate that into English for me please?

I'll have to google what a modeler and a POD is.. thanks for the tip.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
Howdy guys,

Are there any DIY mods I can do to the Samick AG-10D amp that came with my fender squier bullet to make it sound better or to make it do some other crazy amp type stuff?
Perhaps some with more knowledge can chime in, but I would think trying to mod a solid state amp, would involve some fairly tech intensive knowledge, things like transformers, or redoing circuits etc. .

What CrisN is talking about is an additional outboard electronic box, that you would use between the guitar and amp. Which has digital emulations of different amps and or effects programed into it . POD is simply one such device made by the Line 6 company. Modeling is simply writing digital code to accomplish the emulation. "Modeler" is just street talk for such devices

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-06-2017, 11:02 AM

Sorry so cryptic - here's a example of what I use that's on reverb now (no connection with seller): https://reverb.com/item/5664494-line-6-pod-r3977 There's newer, and there's better, but these are fun if you aren't ready to commit to higher-end modeling amps, tube amps, pedals, etc. Plus, they're usable as headphone amps so you don't need the amp at all to play electric through headphones. There are also plenty of folks who record nicely-effected pieces directly from the POD (or equivalent) to their computer w/o an amp, eg:

Old 08-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Monkeying around inside an amp without a solid electronics background can get you killed - never mind that it's a pocket-size practice amp, there are still lethal voltages in there; mods are also not cost/performance-effective on something like this - best thing you can do IME is start saving your bucks for something better...

If you're into the idea of easy DIY mods I'd recommend a class-A cathode-bias amp of some kind, either one of the low-watt practice/recording amps that everyone and his Uncle Leo seems to be making these days, or one of the Vox AC Series (or its derivatives). Without getting into heavy electronic theory here, a class-A cathode-bias amp makes replacing the power tubes a plug-&-play deal (most other amps require a trip to the tech for a bias job, essentially optimizing the tubes to the amp's circuitry and a $100+/- charge where I come from), allowing you to experiment with different brands of the same tube type (believe it or not there are audible differences); combined with the different brands and types of preamp tubes (the little ones whose nomenclature usually begins with 12 - 12AX7 being the most common), you can learn to optimize your amp's performance for a specific situation/genre, or make it as versatile as possible - a nifty little trick just about every pro player uses to great advantage, both on the road and in the studio...

I'd also look into the possibility of a speaker swap - IME this can make or break the tone of even the best amps, whether tube or solid-state. In a broad sense speakers fall into two main tonal camps, "American" (the sound usually associated with Fender, Ampeg, '70s/80s Mesa, and the like) and "British" (think Vox, Marshall, Laney, Orange, etc.), with each having its advantages and disadvantages. Good thing here is that you can mix-&-match: there's nothing in the U.N. Charter that says you can't use a Celestion in an Ampeg or a JBL in a Vox - both companies have done just that during their history - so as long as you observe the proper impedance (most 1X12" combos use an 8-ohm speaker - always check the owners' manual before swapping) you can install whatever suits your fancy. Another little trick - one of which I'm especially fond - is to install a high-efficiency speaker in a small practice amp to create a lightweight small/medium stage rig; increasing speaker efficiency is the sonic (not actual) equivalent of "free watts," upping headroom and output without the need to get into the guts of the amp; match the right speaker with the right tubes, and you can have boutique-quality tone at gigworthy volume on a Working Joe/Jane's budget: a tube swap and an Eminence Swamp Thang in my Bugera V22 has it hanging with my '65 Super Reverb reissue, at half the size and 20 pounds less weight - small wonder it's been my go-to tone box for the last seven years...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-06-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Additional material/clarification
Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Sorry so cryptic - here's a example of what I use that's on reverb now (no connection with seller): https://reverb.com/item/5664494-line-6-pod-r3977 There's newer, and there's better, but these are fun if you aren't ready to commit to higher-end modeling amps, tube amps, pedals, etc. Plus, they're usable as headphone amps so you don't need the amp at all to play electric through headphones. There are also plenty of folks who record nicely-effected pieces directly from the POD (or equivalent) to their computer w/o an amp, eg:

Thanks Chris will check them out. What about those Irig devices that allow you to use your iPad etc. Can you do similar things with them or are they just for recording directly onto your iPad?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
Thanks Chris will check them out. What about those Irig devices that allow you to use your iPad etc. Can you do similar things with them or are they just for recording directly onto your iPad?
I'm not familiar with the iRig setup - I think it lets you connect your guitar to your iphone/ipad to use some kind of amp app on the phone to give you the dials/switches etc that the POD gives in a physical box, but please don't rely on my info as I'm guessing based on a couple blurbs I saw. I tune out if the required IOS is 8, 9, whatever, as I'm still rocking an iphone 3GS with IOS 6 - no one makes apps that work on that one anymore.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Monkeying around inside an amp without a solid electronics background can get you killed - never mind that it's a pocket-size practice amp, there are still lethal voltages in there; mods are also not cost/performance-effective on something like this - best thing you can do IME is start saving your bucks for something better...

If you're into the idea of easy DIY mods I'd recommend a class-A cathode-bias amp of some kind, either one of the low-watt practice/recording amps that everyone and his Uncle Leo seems to be making these days, or one of the Vox AC Series (or its derivatives). Without getting into heavy electronic theory here, a class-A cathode-bias amp makes replacing the power tubes a plug-&-play deal (most other amps require a trip to the tech for a bias job, essentially optimizing the tubes to the amp's circuitry and a $100+/- charge where I come from), allowing you to experiment with different brands of the same tube type (believe it or not there are audible differences); combined with the different brands and types of preamp tubes (the little ones whose nomenclature usually begins with 12 - 12AX7 being the most common), you can learn to optimize your amp's performance for a specific situation/genre, or make it as versatile as possible - a nifty little trick just about every pro player uses to great advantage, both on the road and in the studio...

I'd also look into the possibility of a speaker swap - IME this can make or break the tone of even the best amps, whether tube or solid-state. In a broad sense speakers fall into two main tonal camps, "American" (the sound usually associated with Fender, Ampeg, '70s/80s Mesa, and the like) and "British" (think Vox, Marshall, Laney, Orange, etc.), with each having its advantages and disadvantages. Good thing here is that you can mix-&-match: there's nothing in the U.N. Charter that says you can't use a Celestion in an Ampeg or a JBL in a Vox - both companies have done just that during their history - so as long as you observe the proper impedance (most 1X12" combos use an 8-ohm speaker - always check the owners' manual before swapping) you can install whatever suits your fancy. Another little trick - one of which I'm especially fond - is to install a high-efficiency speaker in a small practice amp to create a lightweight small/medium stage rig; increasing speaker efficiency is the sonic (not actual) equivalent of "free watts," upping headroom and output without the need to get into the guts of the amp; match the right speaker with the right tubes, and you can have boutique-quality tone at gigworthy volume on a Working Joe/Jane's budget: a tube swap and an Eminence Swamp Thang in my Bugera V22 has it hanging with my '65 Super Reverb reissue, at half the size and 20 pounds less weight - small wonder it's been my go-to tone box for the last seven years...
Lots of good info there, Steve. I saved it for later.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Thanks Steve. A little bit over my head but I will certainly look up some of the terms you use too get my head around it all and learn more.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 AM

To answer the question, the Samick is a 10 watt solid state amp, and there are essentially no modifications you can make to it. It's not like a tube amp where basically anyone can change the circuits around to add features, change tone stacks, change gain characteristics, etc. So what people are suggesting is you add stages before the amp to get any sound you desire, and these can be simple pedals with reverb, delay, distortion, phasers, etc, or they can be "modelers" - quite sophisticated computer based digital devices that can mimic any common amp tone or pedal tone.

The other path suggested is to learn more about tube amps, and find/make a tube amp that suits your needs. Many different ones exists, some easier than others to modify if that ends up being your goal. An awful lot of people these days love little 5 watt tube amps that get rock/overdrive sounds at bedroom volume levels. There is another thread discussing exactly that here right now.

Personally, I bought a modeling pedal that has about 500 preset tones, played with it a bit, and put it away. Then I pulled out an old 1950's hi-fi tube amp and modified it to be a killer guitar amp. I may change it up a bit more this winter if I get bored. The only effect I persistently use is a Boss RV-2 reverb pedal.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 AM

ok this is probably N/A but this is what I have worked on in the last year. I have a (much sneered at) Fender Champion 110 (Mex) from around 1999. Solid state w/ 10" speaker - got it as part of an equipment swap years ago. You can find them for $50/$60 all the time.

What I like about about this amp is that it turns down real low and is louder than it ought to be cranked up. It is also very portable. I thought about it and realized like every thing else its built to a price point.

I put in a 10" Paducah Ky made Veteran Speaker (open box on ebay for $37 delivered) and a MOD 3 spring reverb (less than $20 delivered). What a transformation.

I leave it on the drive channel with the gain and reverb barely cracked. Of course it works best with my Fender Casters. All the players that I have showed this off too were amazed by how good this cheap SS amp sounded.

No I don't think sticking an $80 speaker in a $50 amp is a wise move, but what I described above turned a dust catcher into something I use all the time these days. It has a distinct brighter voice than my Excelsior Pro.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
ok this is probably N/A but this is what I have worked on in the last year. I have a (much sneered at) Fender Champion 110 (Mex) from around 1999. Solid state w/ 10" speaker - got it as part of an equipment swap years ago. You can find them for $50/$60 all the time.

What I like about about this amp is that it turns down real low and is louder than it ought to be cranked up. It is also very portable. I thought about it and realized like every thing else its built to a price point.

I put in a 10" Paducah Ky made Veteran Speaker (open box on ebay for $37 delivered) and a MOD 3 spring reverb (less than $20 delivered). What a transformation.

I leave it on the drive channel with the gain and reverb barely cracked. Of course it works best with my Fender Casters. All the players that I have showed this off too were amazed by how good this cheap SS amp sounded.

No I don't think sticking an $80 speaker in a $50 amp is a wise move, but what I described above turned a dust catcher into something I use all the time these days. It has a distinct brighter voice than my Excelsior Pro.
What exactly is the drive channel? I think mine has a drive button but if I turn it off the amp doesn't work at all..I think. I pushed the button once and got no sound so turned it back on again and haven't touched it since.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 AM

The solid state Champion 110 has a clean channel controlled by a volume, and a button switching it to another volume knob paired to a gain control. This is supposed to mimic an over driven tube amp but is pretty pathetic except in very small doses where it has a warmer voice than the clean setting.

Getting back to your original question a speaker swap can make a world of difference in a cheap ss amp - just dont spend too much. Look at WGS speakers, used, or open box etc. Its worth it if you like to have a small ss amp that turns down well and is easy to pack around. I've got a combo tube amp thats heavy for me and I usually resort to a hand truck when visiting
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
The solid state Champion 110 has a clean channel controlled by a volume, and a button switching it to another volume knob paired to a gain control. This is supposed to mimic an over driven tube amp but is pretty pathetic except in very small doses where it has a warmer voice than the clean setting.

Getting back to your original question a speaker swap can make a world of difference in a cheap ss amp - just dont spend too much. Look at WGS speakers, used, or open box etc. Its worth it if you like to have a small ss amp that turns down well and is easy to pack around. I've got a combo tube amp thats heavy for me and I usually resort to a hand truck when visiting
Cheers for that and your other informative post Dadzmad.I might suss out a new speaker for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars