The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Help---High E buzz only on 2nd Fret??!!

Hi, folks, newly bought used Yamaha SJ180 has a string buzz problem, but only on the 2nd fret of the high E string (D chord strumming really brings out the problem you can imagine...), neither 1st nor 3rd fret have any buzz, what's the deal and how do I fix it?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2 View Post
Hi, folks, newly bought used Yamaha SJ180 has a string buzz problem, but only on the 2nd fret of the high E string (D chord strumming really brings out the problem you can imagine...), neither 1st nor 3rd fret have any buzz, what's the deal and how do I fix it?
Look closely at the frets, I 'spec you'll find a major divot there. As well as the 1st & 3rd fret B string, 1st & 2nd G...

*IF* you have enough fret left, a level/recrown will do you well. How's the neck angle?

Congrats, on getting a fine ol' Yamaha!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks, the sj180 sounds great and its overtone is addicting (some may not like it, I do) when strumming. Didn't know a non-FG, beginner's guitar can sound this great, it's really a pleasant surprise when I found it for 100 bucks on CL with a nice hard shell case & a very nice strap.

Do appreciate the input, JLS, did a quick search and there's so many posts come up with all kinds of fret buzz problems that need to be sorted through and "deciphered," too hard...

So I decided to take it to a luthier to at least get a quote and pick his brain, he looked at it and measured the 3rd fret (not 2nd fret) and hammered it down a little bit but it didn't go away, just got better, so I got a quote for under 20 bucks he can file the fret down and look for other possible buzzes and fix them too.

Good deal I think, I'm gonna ask him more questions when I pick up for possible DIY jobs in the future to get my money worth (because this one I probably could've done it myself; but I felt bad since I asked him a lot of questions including what he used for touch up jobs, etc).
Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 AM

Two possibilities...either the third fret is high, or the second fret is low. I use a 6" stainless steel ruler to check for high and low frets.
If a fret is popped up, I wick in some super glue to make sure it stays down.
Quote:
did a quick search and there's so many posts come up with all kinds of fret buzz problems that need to be sorted through and "deciphered," too hard...
Building guitars is hard, but repairing them is even harder.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Two possibilities...either the third fret is high, or the second fret is low. I use a 6" stainless steel ruler to check for high and low frets.
If a fret is popped up, I wick in some super glue to make sure it stays down.

Building guitars is hard, but repairing them is even harder.
could be what you said...a fret end may have popped up...he'll need a clamp from harbor freight or such to pull it down while the super glue dries......also ...sometimes if the truss rod is close one string will buzz.....1/8 of a turn counter clockwise may do it.
I just refretted an acoustic.....getting a minute ting on the first few frets of the e string.....my guess is the first few frets are a sliver low.....the rocker says it's level but....it doesn't take much to make it not ring clear.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2 View Post
So I decided to take it to a luthier to at least get a quote and pick his brain, he looked at it and measured the 3rd fret (not 2nd fret) and hammered it down a little bit but it didn't go away, just got better, so I got a quote for under 20 bucks he can file the fret down and look for other possible buzzes and fix them too.

Good deal I think, I'm gonna ask him more questions when I pick up for possible DIY jobs in the future to get my money worth (because this one I probably could've done it myself; but I felt bad since I asked him a lot of questions including what he used for touch up jobs, etc).

You can file the fret down or level it to adjacent frets, many ways to do it

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-26-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Edited

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair