The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!
Default Oldest Taylor on the Board?

Greetings! As they say on talk radio, I'm a first time caller, who is a doofus with computers, but I wanted to crow about my elderly Taylor!
It's #10126. Bob Taylor built it before he could vote! It's a model 615, which back in those days, was a walnut dread, with herringbone appointments. It's still in great shape!
Until just a few years ago, I did all my gigs with her, and she's still used in the studio! I'd be playing it yet, except for the super thin neck! I now require the type of neck I used hate!
Who else has an early production Taylor? Does anyone else have a herringbone model? Mine is the only one I've ever seen, but I expect there's more? I've seen pictures of them!
Thanks, and I'll take your comments off the air!
Don

http://donlampson.com
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 PM

I don't own any ancient Taylors, but let me say, Welcome aboard!!

Tom
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Cool

I (and several others here) used to own a 1987 810. It was made just after Taylor moved from Lemon Grove to Santee (sp). Man, that guitar was really sweet!

I'm sure there are many Taylors older than that one, but I just thought I would put in my 2 cents. Welcome to the AGF.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12

Last edited by beachbum205; 04-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM

615 is a walnut dread, Don? Interesting. I didn't realize there'd been such a change in the numbering system. Do you know what year yours is from?
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Here's a '79 510, with a 4-digit serial number:

Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM

My Taylor was made in 1876.

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
615 is a walnut dread, Don? Interesting. I didn't realize there'd been such a change in the numbering system. Do you know what year yours is from?
Chaz
Mine was made in 1974, or early '75? It also has a Martin style bridge, and pick guard! I don't know when they developed their own style?
A friend of mine called me from Whittier Plaza Music, saying there were some guys selling a new line of guitars that I ought to check out! I high tailed it to the store ASAP!
Kurt Listug was at the store with four guitars, two dreads, and two jumbos. I fell in love with the 615, but the "big heat" at WPM hadn't decided to carry the line yet?
I was ready to spring for a B.C. Rich, but not after road testing the Taylor, the B-28 was out of my mind! I said if they weren't going to carry Taylor, I was going to follow Kurt to the first store which would!
WPM became one of the first a major dealers of Taylor, and remained so until they went out of business!
My Taylor never had the "Taylor sound" either! It sounded like an old Martin, and still does!
The truss rod is pretty crude compared to modern Taylors. I suspect that's why my neck is beginning to twist, but it still holds intonation just fine!
Don
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Taylor 810

I own the 810, second from the left - one of four bodies that Bob is working on on page 44 of the Taylor book. Three piece Brazilian rosewood back. Martin pickguard. "Star" fretboard markers. No. 14 from 1975. If I knew how to post a photo, I would.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunky51 View Post
I own the 810, second from the left - one of four bodies that Bob is working on on page 44 of the Taylor book. Three piece Brazilian rosewood back. Martin pickguard. "Star" fretboard markers. No. 14 from 1975. If I knew how to post a photo, I would.
F51 - put your photo on the web somewhere (Flickr, Photobucket, personal website, etc.), display it, right click, Properties, and copy the whole Address (URL).

Then in your reply or new message window, click on the icon (hover over it and it says "Insert Image"). That will pop up a window. Right click "paste" your URL into that address block and voila you'll have an image.

To Don - thanks for sharing, and if you have some pics please post them! and welcome to the AGF!

rr/Phil
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM

This probably doesnt count but I gave my brother my 79 510.....but it is at my house right now....of course my brother lives next door. frank
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Nice story Don!! I've got a '1982 855c ( 12 string) Which was one of the first cutaways offered. It has the old style "Whale's Tail" or moustache bridge as some people call them. Most likely hand carved by Bob.. No CNC machines back in those days! Snowflake fretboard postion markers, florentine (pointed) cutaway with original Taylor shaped pick guard and a 3 piece back with herringbone purfling. I got it from the original owner, an older gentleman who just couldn't handle the 12 string anymore. He took exceptional care of it, And even sent it back to the factory 5 or 6 years ago for a neck reset and a total once over twice at the factory.It has a nitro laquer finish with a little checking which has a beautiful patina to it that even though it sports a sitka spruce top now looks more like cedar. It came with the original black with royal blue interior case, also in excellant condtion. Needless to say it's tone is unreal and it sings with endless sustain. The neck is thin and very fast..One of the atributes that got Bob and Kurt on the map in the earlier days... As many here know the early 12 strings along with the 810 and 815 really got Taylor on their way..Especially after Neil Young bought two 855's ('78) And people found out who built Prince's unusal guitar featured in his early videos and film...
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 AM

My oldest Taylor is only a '95, so I'm out of the running here. But I do want to say welcome, Don, to the AGF. I enjoyed your web site and your music. Glad to have you with us - you'll fit right in with this crowd!

cotten
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 AM

I'm 56. Does that make me the oldest Taylor on the board? Oh, you're talking about guitars! Never mind...

Alan Taylor

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
My oldest Taylor is only a '95, so I'm out of the running here. But I do want to say welcome, Don, to the AGF. I enjoyed your web site and your music. Glad to have you with us - you'll fit right in with this crowd!
cotten
Cotten
Thanks for the welcome, and kind words! I figured this would be where I'd find out about other early Taylors. I see another mention of herringbone on the first models....
I remember my conversation with Kurt well, even though it was lots of years ago. He was really excited about being in the guitar business!
The guy who did the finishing was also at the music store, out doing PR work, I guess? His name was Jim....
Kurt said both Martin, and Gibson wanted Jim to work for them, and made juicy offers, but so far, he was sticking with Taylor!
Kurt said he also did some of the building, but he wasn't very good at it! He said Bob was the only one who could build a guitar, from start to finish! Kurt was also excited about getting an offset lathe, to increase production! He said hand carving necks took way too much time!
Hopefully, I'll figure out how to post some pix? It's a beautiful guitar!
Don

http://donlampson.com
Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Chaz
Mine was made in 1974, or early '75? It also has a Martin style bridge, and pick guard! I don't know when they developed their own style?
A friend of mine called me from Whittier Plaza Music, saying there were some guys selling a new line of guitars that I ought to check out! I high tailed it to the store ASAP!
Kurt Listug was at the store with four guitars, two dreads, and two jumbos. I fell in love with the 615, but the "big heat" at WPM hadn't decided to carry the line yet?
I was ready to spring for a B.C. Rich, but not after road testing the Taylor, the B-28 was out of my mind! I said if they weren't going to carry Taylor, I was going to follow Kurt to the first store which would!
WPM became one of the first a major dealers of Taylor, and remained so until they went out of business!
My Taylor never had the "Taylor sound" either! It sounded like an old Martin, and still does!
The truss rod is pretty crude compared to modern Taylors. I suspect that's why my neck is beginning to twist, but it still holds intonation just fine!
Don
Very cool, Don! '74/'75... wow that's very early in the company's history. Really just getting started. I would indeed like to see pictures of your axe sometime. It must've been very difficult for Taylor in the mid-'70s... That was a time when the Japanese were copying the big American brands, and those brands were being consumed by corporate parents that were diversifying into businesses they knew nothing about. I really wonder what compelled them to get started... Some day, I'd like to hear Bob and Kurt talk about the first years of the company and what kept them going. Customers like you, no doubt!
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion