The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 AM

Default Interested in resonator guitar music

I heard a resonator guitar for the first time a few weeks ago. I must say that i was very impressed and interested in that type of music. So much so that I now must own one.

Can anyone suggest a song or artist using this instrument so I can get my "fix"? Blues especially

Thanks (I can't believe I have NEVER heard this type of music before. I must be sheltered...)
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 AM

Lots of the older blues players either played resonator or their music fits well with it - there's a ton of 'em to pick from: Robert Johnson, Son House, Charlie Patton, Skip James, and a bunch of others. There are a lot of blues collection cds out there, and that's not a bad place to start since it lets you hear lots of different people. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap too.
If you want something more modern but still in the same vein, John Hammond would be a good choice. You might like Keb Mo too - more eclectic, with a mix of old and new blues, uses resonator pretty often.
Happy listening.

2005 Taylor T5 Std.
2003 Taylor W10CE
80's Takamine FP325SR
2001 National Style O
1981 Gibson 335 Dot reissue
1950s Harmony archtop
DanElectro Hodad
DanElectro U2
DanElectro Longhorn bass
70's MusicMan Sabre II
70's Garcia 1A
Fluke Uke
50's Macaferri uke
Kentucky A-style mandolin
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 AM

I'm partial to Son House and Tampa Red...and Bukka White.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Mike Dowling has several CDs where he primarily plays a resonator. He also has instructional books, CDs, and DVDs that are very good.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsingleton
Lots of the older blues players either played resonator or their music fits well with it - there's a ton of 'em to pick from: Robert Johnson,...... You might like Keb Mo too - more eclectic, with a mix of old and new blues, uses resonator pretty often.
Happy listening.
Robert Johnson never used a reso but a lot of his songs sound really good on them (EC covers some of Johnson's songs on "Unplugged"). One of the masters of modern resonator playing is Bob Brozman - you can check out some of his clips at the National guitar site. Some of Bonnie Raitt's early stuff when she was playing her old Type 0 is really great. In addition to the players already mentioned Blind Boy Fuller is one of the old bluesmen that played in standard tuning (altho down a couple of steps) and played without a slide.

And of course the other side of the resonator is bluegrass "dobro" style - with Jerry Douglas the modern master of that technique.

Guitars with a hub cap in the middle

Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
minister of twang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman
And of course the other side of the resonator is bluegrass "dobro" style - with Jerry Douglas the modern master of that technique.
right. definitely check out jerry. squarenecks are played in the lap, with a bar. nobody does it better than jerry. even if you're not in to bluegrass, still check him out. what he does transcends style and includes elements of rock, folk, blues, jazz, etc. "lookout for hope" is a superb solo record. don ross has also recorded a few dobro tunes on his records. another modern-day master is mike auldridge. oh, and rob ickes...

for lap-style slide also check out kelly joe phelps.

i'm also really partial to the weissenborn, also played in the lap, with a bar. it's an instrument of hawaiian origin and is really beautiful. players like jerry, ben harper, bob brozman, david lindley and ed gerhard use these great guitars.

i recorded a dobro tune on my first record ('jerry said' from "half pint") and one on weissenborn on my second ('between the rains' from "across the bridge"). you can can hear both, if you're interested, by doing the click dance at the link below.

sheltered? fairbanks? well, it is kinda up there... hope you're well insulated.
l'twangage

Last edited by mtmikey; 02-14-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 AM

For "world music" using a resonator my recommendation is Bob Brozman (In addition to my agreement on his positives in Freeman's post)...

http://www.bobbrozman.com/

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:25 AM

Here are a couple of forums (fora?) that are populated by a bunch of reso-fanatics. Quite a few links to soundclick sites featuring resonator music.

http://www.guitarseminars.com/cgi-bi...e=5&LastLogin=
(the IGS forum is moderated/organized by Bob Brozman (among others);

http://www.bigroadblues.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments