The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM

Default A/B test of two mic placment techniques for acoustic guitar

Here's an interesting A/B test of mic placement techniques. I used the same guitar (Dell'Arte dreadnaught) and the same strings (Curt Mangum) on all 3 recordings. Recordings #1 and #3 were done in the same large room. Recording #2 was done in a small isolation room.

The first 2 recordings were done using the mic placement shown in the first picture below. The two mics were pointed at 90 degrees to each other with the top of the mics almost touching. The first mic was parallel to the strings with the top pointing towards the bridge and the condenser pointed up at the ceiling. The second mic was pointed at towards the face of the guitar with the condenser pointed towards the floor.

The third recording used the mic placement shown in the 2nd picture below - one mic at each side of a mannequin's head where each ear would be. I really like the purity of the tone on this recording - I think I like this one the best.

Recording #1 using first mic placement

Recording #2 using first mic placement (with guitar tuned down 1 step)

Recording #3 using second mic placement

First mic placement (recordings #1 & #2):

Second mic placement (recording #3)

Last edited by 815C; 11-04-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

They both sound good. Interestingly the first mike set up focuses the location of the guitar more than the second setup - however maybe that is due to the reverb used.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD