The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2000, 10:22 PM

Of the acoustic amps I've plugged into, I have been the most impressed with the Rivera, the Fishman Performer Pro and the 125 watt Centaur. I feel the B-Band with blended mike is the most natural sounding pickup system, with the added advantage that it powers the mike from the preamp battery, not requiring phantom power, so a stereo "Y" cord is all that's needed to plug into 2 seprate channels of the amp. This is moot point with the Fishman,which has phantom power available. The less likely to feed back pickup is the "Doyle Dykes" Baggs. WOW!

------------------
Old 09-17-2000, 12:11 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Grainger:
This is moot point with the Fishman,which has phantom power available. The less likely to feed back pickup is the "Doyle Dykes" Baggs. WOW!

It must be the "chet-style" inlays that keep the guitar from feeding back. No, seriously, I wonder if this system has some sort of anti-feedback circuit built-in. Does anyone know?

I agree, the Riviera is a great amp, albeit a little pricey. Still, it's packed with features and it's a true electric or acoustic amp, as the preamp section is designed to handle both. I strongly considered it before going with the Daedalus system, but I liked the "roll your own" approach of the Daedalus.

Doyle gets an INCREDIBLE sound from the Riviera.

J.R.
Old 09-17-2000, 01:33 AM

Smile

I have the SWR California Blonde and love it.

Seems simplistic to just say that, but I tried lots of stuff (Crate, Trace Elliot, Fender, and some others) and nothing worked better for what I like to hear.

From owning it and working with it for about 5 months now, I feel no need to change - it just works perfectly for my needs.

------------------
Scott Peterson

Marilyn Mack Group
Marilyn Mack Group MP3.Com Site
My Personal MP3.Com Site
Dirty Cow Records
My Gear

"Sleeping and eating were never as important to me (as playing the guitar)."
Chet Atkins
Old 09-17-2000, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Peterson:
I have the SWR California Blonde and love it ...
Me too and me too.

Old 09-18-2000, 03:31 PM
JES

> Of the acoustic amps I've plugged into,
> I have been the most impressed with the Rivera
> - Jim Grainger

Jim - I'm wondering which Rivera you used. Thanks.
- JES
Old 10-19-2000, 08:10 PM

I use a Carvin AG100D and really like the thing. Lots of nice clean power and three channels. It handles a guitar and mic nicely and I sometimes, depending on the guitar and the pick-up system, use a Fishman Pro-EQ with it, too. I have had nice results with it when I just mic a guitar through it, too. I think it is a great amp for the money.
Old 10-21-2000, 02:14 AM

I have several amps but I have 1 favorite solution for amplifying my acoustic guitars. To start, besides playing acoustic and electric guitars, I also play pedal steel guitar. For the pedal steel, I chose a dual amp stereo setup from Peavey.. which consists of the Session 2000 Stereo amp w/effects processor and the PX300 clean slave. Both amps are 300 watt amps with Black Widow 15" speakers. I typically use a stereo setup with the main unit (with the stereo and effects) set to have mild reverb, mild chorus, with some EQ thrown in to balance the tonal range. The PX300 slave plays clean. Together, when I plug in my 514ceab or the Clint Black model, the whole setup just absolutely sings. I love it. That's my 2 cents worth.

Dennis
Old 10-25-2000, 11:51 PM
Eric Skye

I used the carvin AG100 for a while with good results. I?ve also used many PA?s, but last year I started using a California Blonde and just love it. It just sounds huge. If you?re into serious bass girth you?ll the blonde. With it?s mondo, yet tight bottom end it?s evident SWR is a bass amp company. It?s piezo driver and active EQ insure great high end sparkle sparkle as well. The reverb isn?t so great so I add a Nanoverb. Great amp.
________
prettyLANA

Last edited by min7b5; 09-03-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2000, 11:36 AM

Question

I was wondering about the cheaper line of acoustic amps. Money is tight right now. Has anyone tried the Epiphone acoustic amps? What about Rogue acoustic amps from Musician's Friend? Or Prime acoustic amps from American Music Supply? OR...
buy a used Peavey KB 60 at Used Gear by Mail?
Thanks in advance,
Francis
Old 12-21-2000, 12:15 PM

Fender Acoustasonic jr, with Taylor 514-ce.

I am not real pleased with this amp.
I think I get as good a sound with my Fender Hotrod deville tube amp. It sounded fine here in the house, but I used it at CHurch a couple weeks ago, and I could not ever get the pure clean sound that I wanted.
I highly recommend the Ultrasound amps mentioned earlier. I have been to many acoustic guitar events this year and many people were using them and sounded great.

Old 01-04-2001, 07:22 AM

I just bought a SWR California Blonde off of ebay. Being new to the acoustic guitar scene, I don't now anything about efex. I'd love to hear from ya'll on what it's all about. I've just bought a new Taylor 710ce with the onboard blender and am running a Shure SM 58 through it. I've had many years of vocal training and my goal is to have my guitar playing skills catch up to my vocal skills so that I can perform in a small public venue within six months to a year. Any input would be welcome. Should I consider a small PA system as an addition?
Old 01-19-2001, 07:00 PM
O'Dadgad rules.

Too all who are looking for an amp to reproduce your guitar's sound. I've tried the Peavey Ecoustic 112, the Roland AC-100, and the Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro. I have a Taylor 310ce with the prefix onboard blender system. I've gone through 3 acoustic amps in the last 6 months. I just bought a Rane AP13 preamp, and am looking for a Lexicon MPX100, a Hafler P1500 power amp, and a Daedalus C-81 cab with a 4 space rackmount built in. I thought about the S-81 and building my own rack space cab out of some hardwood, but i like the C-81 better. That's my take on it. I didn't think the Fishman Performer did reproduced the sound of my taylor quite exactly but i don't think the any acoustic amp can do it exactly. i'm just looking to stay in budget and get a pretty good sound. don't get me wrong the Fishman and the Roland amps were great. But it all depends on your sound. Anybody got a C-81 they're looking to unload???

[This message has been edited by KyCabnetMkr (edited 02-17-2001).]
Old 01-20-2001, 11:33 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Or... You could buy a Daedalus system:

J.R.
Old 01-20-2001, 05:01 PM

Talking

I have a Fender Acoustasonic SFX that I bought on impulse. I like it alright but I want to play some other amps to see what else is out there.

I hear nothing but good things about the SWR acoustic amps, the drawback is they don't have the effects of the Fender. I really like the delay and slapback on the SFX, I also really like the chorus.
Old 01-20-2001, 07:28 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Wink

JR,
Thats one great looking amp set-up you have there. I could never take something like that to a gig I'd have to be paranoid about the finish on my amp like I am about the guitars.
Really nice rig!!!
Bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification