The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-30-2005, 02:59 PM

Cool Banjo Poll?

I have NO idea how to do this, or if it's been done, or if it's a waste of time, or if...

Maybe someone ought to start a "Banjo Players' Poll"--I'd be curious (just curious!!) as to how many of the "boomer" types-which seem to be the majority here-play, played, or currently own a 5-string--even if it's lodged under their bed, and hasn't been touched in 10 years.

Of course, we all know how curiousity killed the feline.

I also want to state for the record that there are PLENTY of bluegrass and banjo sites already in flourishing existence, and I would NOT advocate, or suggest the AGF become redundant. I know I come here to read about and talk about GUITARS. So--please do not "assume" I am trying to hijack a forum, or a topical discussion. I'm not! Just trying to give a helping hand to someone who made an honest inquiry, and most of this is being handled backchannel. Maybe that's where it all belongs, with polls as well.

As a relative "newbie," I certainly don't want to tick off the founding members, matured regulars, or the "mods." Just that you happen (by chance) to push one of my buttons. Later.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:03 PM

I've read worse subject than banjo here in the forum. At least it is an acoustic instrument..

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 05-31-2005, 07:00 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum
.....But back to guitars for a sec. Anyone play any "Liberty Tree" guitars from either Kevin G. or Taylor? There's a really interesting history of the tree(s) that were cut down to get the back/side woods from--wish I still had the link. Maybe I'll do a search.

The story behind Bob Taylor's procurement of the "Liberty Tree" is indeed an interesting one....
Wood from the tree was initially used for a guitar by Kevin Gallagher...if you can get a link to a picture of the guitar, it is really a nice piece of work..great inlay. Not sure if he called it "The Liberty Guitar" or not. Anyway, as I understand it, Kevin had arranged to obtain more sets of wood from the Liberty Tree from the man who owned them....then Taylor stepped in to procure the entire lot. Of course, things are a "bit" more involved than that, but that's business. As they say, its a "Dog eat Dog" world out there.....

Funny how you never seem to see many threads about Taylors version of the guitar. Never had the chance to play one.....not much said about them since they came out.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments