The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 PM

Wink Sometimes the best tips for improving are SO obvious!

In my lesson yesterday I stumbled my way through a new song I'm learning under the guidance of my teacher. One measure in particular kept tripping me up. He suggested that I isolate just that measure, play it over and over again (slowly, with a metronome), until I can get through 10 tries without a mistake. So I did just that last night while watching some college basketball. And guess what....it worked!

Before, my method has always been to play the whole song through, over and over. Even though some sections are a piece of cake! Yet there I was practicing sections I didn't need to practice, at the expense of those that needed more attention.

It's funny how I need to pay someone to point out the obvious!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

My method to learn a new piece is to

1. Play it through until the first stumble.
2. Stop, work through to stumble - master it or change it.
3. Start again from the top, to next stumble.
4. Repeat 1,2,3 until all mastered.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:25 PM

I wish I was that good, Moustache! I typically stumble right out of the gate on a new song.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Yep, obvious.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Obvious yes, but the willingness to practice that way is what's to be celebrated. Good for you.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Thanks Ryler.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
I wish I was that good, Moustache! I typically stumble right out of the gate on a new song.
That's Ok - just keep doing what I wrote , but don't forget the option to simplify. It is better to do simple well than complicated poorly.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Yes, it's obvious. But sometimes the problem is just the discipline: making yourself tackle the stumble enough times, and not give up.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
That's Ok - just keep doing what I wrote , but don't forget the option to simplify. It is better to do simple well than complicated poorly.
Great point! I start simply and go from there. Then I put in what I can easily do and reevaluate.

I've seen performers that can play anything, be asked to play a song at a show and play it. Though as a person being aware of the song etc. I could easily see it was played incorrectly. Even the words were not completely correct. Yet no one cared and every one was content with the song. I couldn't do what he did as he can play a song by just hearing it. Maybe not correctly but most people won't know it. He is talented. Everyone has to draw their lines some where.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Great point! I start simply and go from there. Then I put in what I can easily do and reevaluate.

I've seen performers that can play anything, be asked to play a song at a show and play it. Though as a person being aware of the song etc. I could easily see it was played incorrectly. Even the words were not completely correct. Yet no one cared and every one was content with the song. I couldn't do what he did as he can play a song by just hearing it. Maybe not correctly but most people won't know it. He is talented. Everyone has to draw their lines some where.
I have no problem with changing key, tempo, arrangement, and lyrics to suit me. For 3-5 minutes that story is MY story, and I'll tell/sing it to best perform it for ME.

I NEVER copy but I am frequently influenced.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Yes, it's obvious. But sometimes the problem is just the discipline: making yourself tackle the stumble enough times, and not give up.

That's the problem I have. I work on part that needs work and if I don't get it right away I get disgusted put my guitar away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM

I do both. Sometimes it's that measure that needs work, sometimes it's the transition into and out of that measure. In those cases, I'll just cycle through a larger section, but not the full song.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM

My best friend when working on a new song is this:

I really mark up the tab for the first few days, bracketing off measures that are hardest for me, identifying phrases that repeat, circling notes that are easy to miss or mistake, etc. (And, BTW, the Pentel P205 pencil is the best. It's the Elliott capo of the mechanical pencil. Just sayin'.)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrwhit View Post
My best friend when working on a new song is this:

I really mark up the tab for the first few days, bracketing off measures that are hardest for me, identifying phrases that repeat, circling notes that are easy to miss or mistake, etc. (And, BTW, the Pentel P205 pencil is the best. It's the Elliott capo of the mechanical pencil. Just sayin'.)

I've used those for drafting for years. Now I use CAD. [emoji17]
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

so, this year I dedicated myself to really challenging myself and learning really tough fingerstyle/classical pieces I've always figured were out of my reach.

These are songs I know well (which is very important) but I don't know how to play.

My method to learn them is to watch some tutorials, go over the tabs, etc.

Then I methodically learn & practice the first section. I mark my position on the tabs.

Then, next time, I go through the first and second section. Then I add the third , etc

So I never go through the whole song, ever. I always do it piecemeal - adding a bit onto what I've "mastered",

Now, once it starts getting long, I will selectively go back and repeat sections I trip up on.

But, instead of plowing through the whole song, try the first two measures. Then the first four measures, then six, then eight, etc.

Use whatever works for you but add on bit-by-bit.

This is just a method that works very well for me. Others may find other methods better for them.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write