The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Anyway to connect Mackie to PC?

Hey Guys, Anyone here know if it is possible to connect a Mackie model 402-VLZ3 mixer to a PC? Does anyone make an interface device to convert the audio output to a USB type that can plug into a PC? Thanks for your replies. glee
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Something like this?http://www.altoedge.com/usbaudio/input.html

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Cool Idea

Thanks Rick!

Guess I was searching the wrong description for this item.

This should work perfectly. Thanks again and keep on pickin'

glee
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee_m View Post
Hey Guys, Anyone here know if it is possible to connect a Mackie model 402-VLZ3 mixer to a PC? Does anyone make an interface device to convert the audio output to a USB type that can plug into a PC? Thanks for your replies. glee
If your computer has line input connections to its internal soundcard you can get a couple of adapters from Radio Shack and connect things up. That was the method I used for my first recordings.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee_m View Post

I use one of these.

I run stereo from my Mackie 1202 into this. It comes with a cable that goes from the interface into standard USB.

I think I paid $50 for mine used.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Vince Vaughan said to Frank The Tank at his wedding...."

...(with a cough) Don't Do It!

Aloha Glee,

Of course you can hook up that mixer to your computer. Many threads here tell you how to do that simple task - visit Radio Shack as Fran suggested. The question is, "Why would you want to?" You don't need a mixer for recording on your PC. It's all ITB now.

If you don't intend to use another preamp in front of it, then don't use a Mackie VLZ series mixer alone in a recording signal chain. The VLZ series' onboard entry-level mic preamps are NOT very good at all.

I tried hooking up a VLZ 1203 to a decent quality digital signal chain many years ago w/ the VLZ series & the results were mid-rangey & un-detailed for acoustic guitar to my ears. And, it was noisy relative to what's out there today. I could not achieve an open, natural acoustic guitar track with the VLZ series.

Please be advised that there is a warning on that one, based on lots of experience.

Of course, it all depends on your goals & ears for recording.

For OTB mixer recording, try the Soundcraft EFX's or A&H ZED's: affordable, quiet & much better electronics, controls & EQ. Again, you don't need an external mixer in a recording signal chain these days.

For ITB, if you were a Mac user, then that Apogee Duet2 has the best onboard mic preamps for under $1500 - a good reason alone to switch to Mac for recording.

If you're looking for a cheap interface to hook up to your PC (without the VLZ - not recommended), then look at the Tascam US series. Affordable & not as bad a sound as other entry-level interfaces (in terms of mic pre's & noise) or the VLZ's (which you really don't need at all).

More info about interfaces:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/compu...ying_guide.php

Good Luck.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD