The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Kayak questions

Been a canoeist forever but know nothing about Kayaks. My wife has lost 60 pounds and is continuing her quest. She tried and liked kayaking I want to get a pair of them for Christmas. We are both over 200 lbs if that matters, also over 50. Gentle waters no rapid excursions in mind. Can you folks recomend brands/styles to look at or what to avoid?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I canoed a great deal when young.

My family tried kayaking for the first time this summer and loved it.

I'm about 185 pounds and the same age and found it great. I'm very active, my wife is more gentle. The kayaks were great for either of us.

There were three kinds I chose from :

- sit in kind with the seal skirt for whitewater, etc. Basically "locks" you in .
- sit in kind where you sit essentially like a canoe but on the floor.
- sit ON kind where its more like sitting on a elaborate surfboard

We used the second type, which seems most common. We had three longer ones and one short one. I found the longer ones obviously more stable - I think they were 6' and 8' lengths.

To start out, the ones they sell at Dicks for like $300 seemed perfect.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-20-2015, 12:49 PM

Hi

I am a certified sea kayaking instructor and can comment on the basics.

1. Purchase a plastic sea kayak with forward and rear bulkheads...those will keep the boat afloat if capsize occurs. You do not need a rudder, some kayaks come with a skeg which permits crossing in winds. The alternative is the "sit atop" kayaks mentioned in c. above. Those are a good choice, but not for shoulder season paddles (fall and spring).

2. Take a basic intro kayaking course. This will teach you how to paddle (not the same as canoe), how to enter and exit the boat safely, how to exit if capsized, how to turn and stop the boat. One evening is enough to go out in very safe conditions (no wind, good weather forecast, close to shore and help), a weekend course will give you a lot more to work with.

3. Carry the mandatory safety gear, such as PFD worn all the time, tow rope, signaling device (whistle can work), and self rescue gear (paddle float) and a hand operated kayak pump.

4 Take a basic course in self rescue, since falling out of a kayak is troublesome when you don't have a re-entry plan!

5. Always know the weather before you go out.

As far as boats go, there are no safe "river kayaks" without adding flotation. Sea kayaks made of plastic are durable for the beginner, dragging the boat over rocks etc... Those made of fiberglass are much more expensive and wonderful once you commit to the sport.

You will love kayaking. There is simply no feeling like it.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Here are some resources to get you going

https://www.paddlecanada.com/sea-kay...ak-skills.html

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaking_b..._safety_rules/
Old 11-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Carry the mandatory safety gear, such as PFD worn all the time,
Since the vast majority of people new to the sport want to go right out, this is the key recommendation. Kayaks, like all other boats, are really fun right up to the moment they turn over. After they turn over, they can still be fun if you follow the safety rules and learn to get yourself back upright without a barge and crane.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:47 PM

I think Davis Webb's advice is spot on and a really good place to get you started so no need afaic to add to it. Just wanted to say, welcome to kayaking, you'll love it.

I'm 67, my wife is 60, we've both been kayaking frequently on the San Francisco Bay for over ten years now. Usually in sit-ons. They're a bit more work when there is a strong cross or head wind, but not unmanageable. We usually do those because they feel more stable to my wife. Whether they actually are or not, I don't know, but the ones we use are a bit wider than the standard sit in models.

Before purchasing any model, I would suggest that you might first see if there is any place in your area where (in addition to maybe getting some instruction) you can rent different models to try out and see what suits you best.

Good luck and have a great time.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

All answers thanks. The time my wife tried it out was a course, then lake time. I"ll start there also. Any reasonable brands to seek out? The more stable the better. Any stores to shop? I do have a Dicks Sporting goods down the street.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I have several kayaks, although mine are mostly for fishing. Here in Texas, I mostly use sit on top kayaks. However, up in the NE you would want a sit inside. Perception, Old Town, Wilderness Systems etc., make great plastic kayaks. Generally 12-14 feet is a good length. 10 ft is okay, but you can get a bit of bow walking with a 10 footer. 12 is about perfect. Unless you are planning on going long distance, get one with good initial and secondary stability. Touring kayaks can be hard to get into and out of, and they can be tippy. For recreational paddling, a standard kayak is just fine.

If you want to fish, let me know. I can recommend some rigging.

Todd

Sent from a cell phone. Sorry for any typos.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 11-20-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Both sit ins & sit ons have their pros/cons, depends what you're after. I got a Wilderness Systems Pongo 120 (12'). It's a sit in type, definitely not whitewater though can handle some flow, more a lake/estuary kayak. More comfortable to be in than a sit on & generally track better. Sit ons easier to get on/off.

I use it for casual paddling & have installed rod holders & straps on the side to make it more fishing friendly.

If I was going exclusively for fishing I'd probably go one of the better sit on types, you get a lot wetter but a more stable platform plus if you do tip it over it doesn't fill up, just have to make sure all valuables, gear etc. are hatched in or secured via shock cord or similar.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 11-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Alot of good info here, but maybe to much....get a nice plastic recreational kayak (9 - 10 feet ) at Dicks sporting goods for 3-400 bucks eguipped and enjoy.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut

Last edited by gjd100; 11-20-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 PM

For sea kayaks, where you want a decent speed , 17 feet is the magic number. Smaller boats move slower.

As far as stability, there are 2 types, primary and secondary. Primary stability, which you are asking about, is how it feels when you get in the boat or stop to drift. That number is usually 24 inches wide at the base. Narrower boats move faster but do not have the same primary stability.

Secondary stability is what happens when a wave hits a boat. This has to do with the chine, or angle of the craft. Usually sea kayaks have fairly good secondary stability, unless they are the pure recreational type, that are so wide, that when a wave hits, they are set on edge. In a kayak, waves roll under the boat and the more "curved" the surface, the more easily the kayak recovers to position when a wave passes underneath.

For now, aim for a 24 inch wide boat.

On the recommendations for the cheaper 300 dollar kayaks, they MUST have flotation installed which will cost money for fore and aft air bags. A kayak which has no flotation system (fore and aft bulkheads or fore and aft air bags) will literally sink to the bottom of the lake when it capsizes. That is not good!

Do a lot of reading on it. Sea Kayaker Magazine is good, and local outfitters who rent kayaks are good. Used kayaks are a good idea.

Lastly, you will need to fit the boat to your body. The more contact you make with the boat, the more control you have. A sit on top boat, this doesn't matter as much, and they are stable. As I said though, those are only good in warm weather and won't carry anything. If you plan to only kayak in warm, gentle, controlled conditions, a sit on top is a good choice.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Lakes and local rivers. No fast water planned. Maybe fishing for me but she just wants to tool around the lake.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Lakes and local rivers. No fast water planned. Maybe fishing for me but she just wants to tool around the lake.
I would look at Wilderness Systems boats like the Pungo 120 or 140. They're very good recreational kayaks, but know that being plastic, they're a bit heavy.

You might also be interested in looking into pack boat canoes if you're a canoeist. They are solo canoes with a kayak style seat that used a double blade. I switched from kayaking to a solo canoe a couple of years ago and I love it so much more.
2012 Ovation Celebrity CC29S-4C
Ovation CV68 Viper
2006 Parkwood PW320M
2012 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus

Fishman Loudbox Mini/Orange MicroTerror
Old 11-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
If that's the total intended use, then a sit on top is the way to go;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-230/f...10+50004+50795

Or you could buy a river kayak, but you will have to buy front flotation for this and ensure the rear is a true bulkhead;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-716/v...10+50004+50795

Or if you want a bit more quality and features in a sit on top;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-231/f...10+50004+50795

Lastly, if you want to develop the art of kayaking and really get into it, then you need something like this;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-845/p...10+50004+50795

And if you were to get into the sport for real and want to glide effortlessly at good crusing speeds;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-351/p...10+50004+50795

The last type, fiberglass sea kayak, should be bought 2nd hand. IMHO.

So there is a decision. You cannot edge, lean, carve, finesse a sit on top kayak. You are just going to cover ground. In fall and spring it will be cold. You cannot take a trip using it. Its slower.

The plus with a sit on top is that its easy to use, works quite well in the conditions you are in, can carry a couple of things, easy to deal with if it capsizes, easier to get back on then a regular, which has to be pumped or you need to learn to roll it.

Given what you have said, a sit on top is your best bet. But if your wife is someone who wants to learn the art of kayaking, not just relax in one, but challenge herself to take up a lifetime sport that she can master, you need a regular 17 foot touring sea kayak.

HtH
Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Another option would be a Hobie pedal kayak. Very stable sit on top that moves very well through the water.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
If that's the total intended use, then a sit on top is the way to go;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-230/f...10+50004+50795

Or you could buy a river kayak, but you will have to buy front flotation for this and ensure the rear is a true bulkhead;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-716/v...10+50004+50795

Or if you want a bit more quality and features in a sit on top;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-231/f...10+50004+50795

Lastly, if you want to develop the art of kayaking and really get into it, then you need something like this;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-845/p...10+50004+50795

And if you were to get into the sport for real and want to glide effortlessly at good crusing speeds;

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-351/p...10+50004+50795

The last type, fiberglass sea kayak, should be bought 2nd hand. IMHO.

So there is a decision. You cannot edge, lean, carve, finesse a sit on top kayak. You are just going to cover ground. In fall and spring it will be cold. You cannot take a trip using it. Its slower.

The plus with a sit on top is that its easy to use, works quite well in the conditions you are in, can carry a couple of things, easy to deal with if it capsizes, easier to get back on then a regular, which has to be pumped or you need to learn to roll it.

Given what you have said, a sit on top is your best bet. But if your wife is someone who wants to learn the art of kayaking, not just relax in one, but challenge herself to take up a lifetime sport that she can master, you need a regular 17 foot touring sea kayak.

HtH
Davis (and others),

Perhaps most appropriate for fishing, where to sit on pedal kayaks fit as a consideration for general kayaking like kitchen expects to do?

My wife and I winter in Florida and I've been thinking about getting a kayak. You may be familiar with the environment here...kayaking through mangrove forests, rivers, some open water, which can get windy/choppy. We've only kayaked once...were given some instruction prior to embarking across an open body of water to natural waterways through the mangroves. We were in a cheap, basic tandem. We enjoyed it, but it was a little tough paddling back to the outfitter across open water.

The thing is, I am athletic, fit and keen enough, but my wife is not. She has very little strength and isn't the most coordinated individual. I'd prefer that we would each have our own, but like other things we've tried, I'm fairly certain it's not something she'll handle well, or want to do to any extent. If I want to involve her, I'll likely have to get a tandem, and I was thinking that one equipped with two pedal sets might also be good exercise, which is our main goal. It might also be easier to pedal and paddle to deal with wavy open water. Of course, it'll be heavier and more expensive.

Anyhow, given your knowledge, I'd appreciate your views about these.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-21-2015 at 01:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic