The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 AM

Default What's the most you've paid for tubes? Do you "buy the hype"?

I'm looking for some old production 12a??? tubes for preamps and am trying to decide between one or two fairly expensive (Bugle Boy, Telefunken etc) or sniping a dozen old used tubes (RCA short grey, GE long black, Amperex Holland, Mullard GB, etc)

These are only preamp tubes so 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AX7A, 5751, 7025, 12AT7 etc. They don't have to be all powerful.

I'm replacing a RCA 12AX7A short grey plate 1962. Before buying that for $1.63 I'd thought the stuff about old tubes was rubbish.

Right now I'm leaning towards sniping. I see a long black Mullard that I'd like to try....
Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Get in touch with your local HAM group and ask when the next swap meet is. Someone is sure to show up with boxes of tubes, used and NOS. Honestly, the prices you see on eBay can be quite good if you look at decent grade tubes rather than the hyped brands. There is so much good stuff floating around.

To answer your question, the most I've spent was $17.95 on an NOS 5y3 rectifier on eBay. After that I ran into a friend who had a couple of boxes of 5y3s and 12AX7s, some used some NOS, who asked for me to find the lowest BUY IT NOWs for similar tubes on Ebay and pay that. I bought a few of each and I'm now set for those tubes. That is why I suggested the HAM swap meet to you.

I'm still poking around for a vintage 12AY7 and will probably have to pay about $35-45 for it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM

I've never bought a vintage set of tubes before. If you do buy vintage make sure they've been tested. You'll pay more for that but it may be worth it.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Taking into consideration that preamp tubes might last 5-10 years, $35-45 sounds OK.
That is, assuming it performs like you want.
I've had a few assorted Russian or Chinese modern production in these circuits and been unimpressed. Noisy, microphonic, excessive gain in a bad way.

I did discuss this with a local HAM man, his suggestion was to buy a "lot" type auction of tested OR untested pulls. Swap swap swap BINGO!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Maybe I'm just unlucky that way, but I've found that most of the really good NOS was cherrypicked and stashed twenty or more years ago, and much of the supposed NOS I've encountered was in fact used in "low stress" applications. Don't know what you guys are retubing, but if you're working with a recent/reissue amp there really is some good new stuff coming out of Eastern Europe - along with Cold War-era mil-spec, the Soviet equivalent of those JAN tubes hard-core Fender guys would kill for - that'll get you high-quality tone without the search and expense. I cut my musical teeth on tube tone back in the early/mid-60's, and while I might invest in a full complement of gennie NOS or JAN tubes for a pristine '63 blonde Twin - a $10K amp whose intrinsic value would be increased by their mere presence - I can't justify sinking a high three/low-four-figure sum into the used '65 Super RI I only paid $700 for in the first place; unlike old guitars (or even the amps themselves) that can be repaired/restored, once that $150 tube reaches the end of its useful life as it inevitably will, it's not only gone forever but sussing out an exact replacement will be extremely unlikely. I doubt the uber-esoteric audio manufacturers are sustaining their (admittedly limited) production on '50s/60s leftovers, nor are they about to sacrifice their reputations on inferior tone - I'm sure there's something out there that meets your needs without costing an arm, a leg, and a couple other highly useful appendages...
Old 11-15-2015, 11:28 AM

Let me muddy the waters. If you can't read this then just pretend it's still a question about preamp tubes or tubes in general.
Because it is
Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I was very fortunate to be able to grab a handful of each type I wanted, take them home, and try them out. I was also able to try and buy some 6V6s. More HERE and HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2015, 01:37 PM

Small signal tubes like 12au7's or their variants last a long time.
I've used literally dozens of different brands in my home audio, and found JJ"s,
RCA's, Tele's, Phillips &c. to deliver satisfying sound with little discernible difference to some of the esoteric BugleBoys and Mullard "Blackburns" out there. Your MMV, of course.
(I've got a fair stash of 12au7's etc., PM me, I'll give you a couple if you want,
postage on me.)
Edit: I see from your OP you've got a fair collection yourself !
Old 11-15-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Understandably, the builder preferred to load the amp with all-new tubes so that he could know that it would arrive at my door in working condition. However, while researching the Tweed Deluxe I had heard that new-old-stock tubes would have a pretty profound impact on its sound. Even though I was a little skeptical I decided to try some tube changes, and the search was on. Firstly, the Tweed Deluxe is well-known for its sustain. The word on the street was that despite published specs which are nearly identical to those of modern tubes, an NOS rectifier tube would greatly enhanced the sustain of the amp. So, I first sougt out an NOS vintage GE 5Y3 rectifier tube. Sure enough, the amp's sustain became much more "pillowy." Not just a little, but a LOT. A little more of the pretty sound I'd heard on recordings immediately began to appear.

Bob
Thanks for continuing with this thread Bob.
Yes "Not just a little but a LOT"

My HAM friend describes it like this.
"Back in the day a tube was designed to operate at X specs without breaking a sweat. A modern tube is running wide open just to meet the minimum."
That isn't nearly technical enough for me LOL but that guy is ALWAYS RIGHT. So I can't just discount it.... even if he is a hillbilly.

You'd mentioned JJ tubes.
The manufacturer of my amps is using Ruby brand tubes. Some super hi gain 12ax???
Very harsh sounding, good for death metal but not much else.

I've looked at any available schematics and have taken it apart myself.
It's a digital preamp which models circuity and gain characteristics of various amps.That is used to drive a tube and output transformer then a solid state power amp.
What I can't figure out is how the lower gain tube improves volume and sound quality.
MORE IMPORTANT, why did the gain cease to function when the old tube went bad? WHy does a low value tube allow more gain and a bad tube zero gain?
My suspicions point to the noise reduction functions (suppressing noise so inherent to digital modelers) perhaps the JJ, Ruby, etc are responsible for amplifying the noise (which is then suppressed along with signal thereby lowering total volume)

It's not a traditional tube function and the maker isn't forthcoming with information.
I did just realize that they'd made some similar devices in the past, just never in the amp format, perhaps those have been more thoroughly dissected.....

I'm just thinking out loud. Electric guitar forums are full of 13 year olds..... it's like talking to your dog....
Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
(I've got a fair stash of 12au7's etc., PM me, I'll give you a couple if you want,
postage on me.)
Edit: I see from your OP you've got a fair collection yourself !
I don't Don, what I have a lot of is verbosity which makes it hard to pick out the important stuff.

I had a Ruby, Groove tube (Fender labeled China), and JJ (also China).
I gave sold those away to a teenager for a Peavy Vyper, another modeling amp reputed to like JJs and GTs for metal. I'll PM and at least cover postage, probably more. I'm just asking questions, not begging.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I purchased my '73 Deluxe Reverb from Ebay... only thing I've bought there... and it came to me with a full set of tubes from the 70's!!!

So far, I have not had to replace any of them, so I guess the most I've paid for a tube would be whatever I paid in the 70's... probably a dollar or two. Back then, nearly every supermarket had a "tube kiosk"; I'd drag my '59 Fender Pro down there and plug it in, and start trying tubes until I found the ones I wanted...

The whole process seemed a bit of a pain in the butt at the time, but now it all makes sense... especially when compared to the price of NOS tubes today!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 PM

After building and restoring any number of amps, and rolling through tubes old and new, I've decided that new chinese or eastern european tubes suit me just fine. The only exception is power tubes in original tweed citcuits; new tubes like JJ's are spec'd very differently that original 6v6's.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM

I've paid more than I'll admit for the old Genelex Gold Lion KT-88s in my Mc audio amps. As for the little tubes, I generally look for dirt cheap old radios or other components, pull the tubes, and match them on my Hickock or Triplett.

I have as stash of about 50 old Telefunkens. I've found them to be reliable, and they sound good to me.

As a side note, dying tubes can add a very cool dimension to amp sound. I had "Get A Hold" (Loggins & Messina) playing through a pair of near-death 6550s in a McIntosh MC60 on one side, and I tried for years to duplicate that sound. It was an almost-Leslie distortion I've never heard since.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananasCentral View Post
What's the most you've paid for tubes? Do you "buy the hype"?
I've never replaced any tubes but I've been curious about it too. I have a Fender Excelsior and a Fender Ramparte. The Tube Store has kits for specific amps and I could upgrade either for $75-100. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I've been thinking about it. I have no complaints about either amp as they sit, but l'm curious as to whether upgrading the tubes would make them sound significantly better.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-24-2015, 07:27 AM

I have a kit built blackface Super Reverb - a near exact replica of the original Fender AB763 circuit. The kit manufacturer included a full complement of JJ tubes with the kit. My first swap was a pair of GE 12AX7 tubes in V1 and V2; the first preamp tubes for each channel. A little smoother, a noticeable bit more harmonic complexity to the tone. Very nice. Expensive, but there are still amps out there using their original 60's tubes - one store here has a 69 Bassman with a full set of original tubes and it sounds simply amazing.

Next was the reverb driver and phase splitter. Vintage Philips 12AT7 tubes are pretty cheap as there are not too many amps that call for them compared to the ubiquitous 12AX7. Only a slight improvement in the sound from swapping the PI, but the reverb is really nice now. Deep, lush, and almost 3D sounding.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic